When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement movement for Dweller

William Campbell

I would like to know if I can put a genuine movement in any of the current Deep Sea Dwellers that are available today.

I would like to wear the watch until the movement fails, and then put in a genuine so that it can be serviced anywhere.

Will I be able to put in a genuine movement and are there any difficulties in doing so? Will the hands fit, etc? I will not be doing this myself.

And which Dweller do you recommend?

Thanks.

With enough money anything is possible.

I think case-wise and stem-height-wise you should be fine. ETA hand sizes are different from the 3135 I think so you'll need to source hands.

All in all I'm guessing it'd probably be 3k worth of work at least if you're not doing it yourself...

"I would like to know if I can put a genuine movement in any of the current Deep Sea Dwellers that are available today.

I would like to wear the watch until the movement fails, and then put in a genuine so that it can be serviced anywhere.

Will I be able to put in a genuine movement and are there any difficulties in doing so?"

A genuine rolex movement in a replica case is a trap waiting to slam shut on your $$. Parts for genuine rolex movements are getting very hard to get.

My advice is to stay away from genuine rolex movements unless you have a dependable repair guy with a parts connection.

I have some 30-40 year old rolex watches that I am afraid to wear because of NP-FY.

I have a modern 14010M AK that I will not wear for the same reason.

No $500+ tune ups for me. :animal_rooster:

I don't mean a genuine Rolex movement. I mean something like an Eta 2836 - a real one!

Are you saying that I could not get this serviced? And would this movement fit a replica that uses a cloned 2836?

A genuine ETA 2836-2 should be a drop in replacement for a cloned 2836-2. Any of the watch repair folks on the forums could service your genuine ETA movement. You may be able to find a local repair person who would work on it as well. Certainly not anyone who has anything to do with Rolex NA however. Independent watchmakers may or may not work on it, you would just have to ask around.Some of them have and aversion to replicas, others don't care about what's written on the dial, they are just interested in the movement.

A genuine ETA 2836-2 should be a drop in replacement for a cloned 2836-2. Any of the watch repair folks on the forums could service your genuine ETA movement. You may be able to find a local repair person who would work on it as well. Certainly not anyone who has anything to do with Rolex NA however. Independent watchmakers may or may not work on it, you would just have to ask around.Some of them have and aversion to replicas, others don't care about what's written on the dial, they are just interested in the movement.

Would there be any issues with the hands? I have read that sometimes you need to source different hands.