When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A couple Genesteins ready

concepta

I was watching a supposed gen kevlar on the bay, but after looking at a gen kevlar I saw that the seller was lying! It ended today at $202!! Thank goodness I researched a little and saw the flaws.

I picked up a gen croc for cheap on TZ but was hoping for something more sporty like the kevlar or chronissimo. In the meantime I'll just use the croc strap.

So the only part that is rep on mine will be the buckle! LOL

What price range are you thinking about spending on a gen beater?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a relumed, datewheeled, chief a/r'd 3717 V1 rep on bracelet. Some time ago I dropped it and the date function broke (spinning freely). I sent it off to my guy who took it apart and got it going again but said there's only so much you can do with a A7750 and rep hands. It died again shortly thereafter. I wouldn't mind using that as a beater if I could get it back up and running but, I can't justify the cost of gen dial/hands (and I'd like a crown too) especially now since I have a gen copy. Also, while I am absolutely in love with anything IWC, it would be somewhat redundant.

I would like to spend 1K on a used gen "beater" (perhaps daily wearer is a better word). If you look hard, there are deals to be had in certain value brands.

I've never been a diver guy but I looked in that direction too. Edox has some nice watches, Oris too, both in divers and the Oris Atrix Moonphase triple date one... BALL night fireman also interesting... On the triple date, the thing is that, despite my desire to own a white faced moon phase, I know a dressier watch like this won't get a lot of wrist time because its rare that I'm in business attire. So a diver is probably a good way to go, I find myself gravitating towards the Oris line but I'm looking for: something with a 42mm dial or greater, a narrow bezel if possible (not a fan of wide bezels overshadowing dial presence) and polygon dial markers vs dots found on some lines (seems silly but it's a big turnoff) and may not mind the implementation of titanium on a 47mm 15+mm high piece...

You know in browsing through a ton of brands on the used sale forums as well as websites, I've come to notice that what makes a watch desirable and beautiful is so, so very subjective. There are, no exaggeration, 5K+ brands that I wouldn't want to inherit for free much less pay anything over $99 for. And for each of those, there's an entire forum of drooling fans.

Yes the lexxori!

He wouldn't provide close up shots of stiching and the back of the straps. He hides the imprinting on his photos. Then I asked him how many he had because I told him I knew several friends who wanted this strap. I was hoping to get a good deal and pass it on to all the bros who bought "genesteins" and he told me he would have a few more in the next couple of weeks and he would sell them for $150 shipped. I thought that was waaay too cheap for brand new gen straps. They retail for over $300. I got a rep kevlar from PT for $50 including a buckle! LOL So His lack of providing pics and his offer of $150 for straps made my radar go on alert. The pics were not good enough to pic up flaws on the strap, but I found flaws with the seller. Pardon any confusion.

Whoever bought the strap.. I hope you can prove me wrong! Please let us know if it comes in and is gen!! Then we can get them for $150! :D

Pics of the strap I got:

strap1.jpg

strap2.jpg

strap3.jpg

Edited by grifter

For 1k, you could get a really REALLY nice and modded rep for a beater!! How about the Mark XVI's concepta has? A franken Mark XVI would be an awesome beater. Or the divers from IWC are nice and I'm sure you could source a gen dial and crown for them?

I like the Oris line. Nice stuff there. Ball is ok, but the lume is distracting to me.

Totally agree the beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

For 1k, you could get a really REALLY nice and modded rep for a beater!! How about the Mark XVI's concepta has? A franken Mark XVI would be an awesome beater. Or the divers from IWC are nice and I'm sure you could source a gen dial and crown for them?

I like the Oris line. Nice stuff there. Ball is ok, but the lume is distracting to me.

Totally agree the beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I echo your concerns about the BALL pieces. Also, at least with respect to the fireman night train, the date windows/wheels look recessed and generic. Oris triple date is nice and 43mm too which is a nice fit for a 7" wrist.

So!... back to our babies, did the luxxori fleabay stap look similar to this?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f319/fs-oem-iwc-top-gun-3789-kevlar-strap-21-18-a-469336.html

Apologies to the administrator if the linking of other watch forum sites is frowned upon.

I'm not sure, but they do look similar. I asked lex for some close up pictures but never got them.

On another note: Are there two different versions of the kevlar strap? I've noticed two different stitching patterns on them.

One has stitching near the lugs.

iwctopgun1.jpg

The other doesn't.

iwc_pilotswatch.jpg

I personally like the one with the stitching. Hopefully one will pop up somewhere. :)

I'm not familiar with the top gun line but the seconds and GMT hands are also different in each photo. A cursory Google search reveals footage/video of confirmed gen top guns on both straps.

BTW, the used kevlar I purchased - not either of the above linked - does not have the extra stitching by the lugs. It is however meticulously constructed with all requisite markings and certainly gives off the impression of being authentic. Then again :unsure: haha! I'll look more into this when I get home.

Edited by MusicBiz

It is a true shame they can't properly rep the 7-day porto, what a great looking watch

Arrived today! Intercepted the mailman in the lobby. Looks good Concepta, thanks! No duties, no mess, just signed for it and it was in my hands finally.

Kevlar strap arrived a few days ago, now just waiting for the clasp. Going to Tourneau today to see how a 44 Oris diver wears, will ask them to see if they sell 21mm spring bars so I can mount the strap.

Once it's all assembled I'll post some photos!

And oh, there's a distinct difference in the dials from my V1 REP. The brushing on the case looks surprisingly close (but I don't have the rep with me at the office) I'll compare when assembled as well. This one just looks so, so crrrrrisp. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

So I went to Torneau and got the run around when I asked about spring bars. You have to bring the watch in (but I didn't buy it here so its not a warranty issue), you have to have the watch here so the watchmaker can measure the size (but i already told you its a 3717, just like the ones right behind this glass)... went nowhere. I did try on a 44m Oris (6.9-7 wrist) and it wears very small. The 44mm case is tapered from the bottom up, so the bezel is more like 40mm and on a diver with a beefy bracelet, it just doesn't work. The 47mm on the other hand, while nice, was a good 21mm thick (exaggeration) so also a no go. Very nicely finished pieces though - diver dials have wave background, tight date wheel - and a tremendous value second hand.

Anyway, concepta et al, does anybody know where I can get some spring bars for my baby? I found some swiss quality made on Ofrei in 21mm lengths but they are 1.2mm thick and I need to buy a bag of 10. Also, [censored] or straight shoulder?!?

My love of IWC aside, I'm a noob. Help me out!

So I went to Torneau and got the run around when I asked about spring bars. You have to bring the watch in (but I didn't buy it here so its not a warranty issue), you have to have the watch here so the watchmaker can measure the size (but i already told you its a 3717, just like the ones right behind this glass)... went nowhere. I did try on a 44m Oris (6.9-7 wrist) and it wears very small. The 44mm case is tapered from the bottom up, so the bezel is more like 40mm and on a diver with a beefy bracelet, it just doesn't work. The 47mm on the other hand, while nice, was a good 21mm thick (exaggeration) so also a no go. Very nicely finished pieces though - diver dials have wave background, tight date wheel - and a tremendous value second hand.

Anyway, concepta et al, does anybody know where I can get some spring bars for my baby? I found some swiss quality made on Ofrei in 21mm lengths but they are 1.2mm thick and I need to buy a bag of 10. Also, [censored] or straight shoulder?!?

My love of IWC aside, I'm a noob. Help me out!

Well here in Sweden you can buy these suckers for less then 20 cent a piece!

You must be able to find these in any watch store in the US!? Otherwise there are plenty on Ebay!

Try not to go below 1.6mm! Good luck man!

Well here in Sweden you can buy these suckers for less then 20 cent a piece!

You must be able to find these in any watch store in the US!? Otherwise there are plenty on Ebay!

Try not to go below 1.6mm! Good luck man!

Concepta, what's the best way to contact you? I sent a PM but haven't heard back yet :(

Concepta, tried to PM you but I think your box is full... can you please PM me? Looking to get a franken IWC from you... i like the Portugese but would like to see what else you can make at the moment... pls send me a PM with what you can build and price... thanks!