When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage parts, where are they coming from

cib0rgman

I have been wondering about where all these parts in the vintage forum coming from? are these part swapped from customer and some how leaked to the market to be sold. do customer get their parts back when rolex service the watch and if not does Rolex Destroy them or even maybe Rolex employees are taking them and sell them?.

there does seem to be and almost inexhaustible supply doesn't it? I would imagine a fair number are parts that are recycled. I buy a couple of inserts off VRF, use one and sell the other, plus my old insert, if it's still serviceable gets sold as well. It would seem to me that there must be some parts "leakage" somewhere. don't know where though. Another potential source is older retired watchmakers who have hoarded parts for many many years. They decide to retire, and the old parts, many probably NOS get bought up and ultimately end up on the sales forum.

Just think how many watchmakers out there (non rolex cert watchmakers), have drawers full of old parts pulled off serviced watches. Just about every watchmaker in the world is going to have a handfull of Rolex parts laying around in parts bins. Plus all the people like us that have lots of vintage parts laying around...

Add that up and theres your endless supply.

Just think how many watchmakers out there (non rolex cert watchmakers), have drawers full of old parts pulled off serviced watches. Just about every watchmaker in the world is going to have a handfull of Rolex parts laying around in parts bins. Plus all the people like us that have lots of vintage parts laying around...

Add that up and theres your endless supply.

+1 on that theory Dizzy...........my helpful watchmaker is just one of those. He pulled a 1680 bezel friction washer out of the drawer for me recently.............and supplied/fitted it FOC.

If only he knew what the going rate was - but I do take good care of him :thumbsupsmileyanim:

+1 on that theory Dizzy...........my helpful watchmaker is just one of those. He pulled a 1680 bezel friction washer out of the drawer for me recently.............and supplied/fitted it FOC.

If only he knew what the going rate was - but I do take good care of him :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Oh you lucky bugger!