When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake 5514 on the bay?

praetor

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Comex-Submariner-5514_W0QQitemZ300537864713QQcategoryZ31387QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7952934140349097080

At least it's only going for $13.4 k

Reason:

1) Thick case

2) bezel shape and teeth is wrong

3) wokky rehaut

4) Insert doesn't fit properly.

Also, in case you're wondering it's a 4 mill serial, which puts this watch at the early to mid 70s.

Those cgs are short and stubby like Josh's new $98 special.

He says the SN is inside the caseback, but doesn't give us a shot of it.

I thought Comex watches had a registration number on the outside of the caseback- 198, 2236, etc.

Bezel is pretty thick and crown position is low.

No mention of any paperwork either.

looks legit to me just from looking at the engravings on the case.

I am not convinced the case is too thick since this is a HEV equipped sub model.

the rehaut looks wokky from crystal distortion?

I have seen other vintage peices without the bezel insert recessed. The recessed insert seem to be found more so on the more recent peices. Though it does appear thicker than other bezels I have seen on subs, this looks more like a sea dweller bezel.

though it is not comex stamped, the dial looks to be gen, there are no vintage rep dials I know of that get the 12 o'clock marker right.

movement is gen.

I have not seen that exact caseback, but it is similar to other gen 5514s. It appears stamped, and not engraved like rep versions.

The one in my reference book does not have the gas escape text on the bottom, but it also states that the exact amount of variations is unknown.

end links are gen