When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a gen 5512 insert?

Guest jsuperman17

Guest jsuperman17

bezelinsert01.jpg

bezelinsert02.jpg

what do you guys think? is it a gen? is it appropriate for my 5512 project.. getting it for cheap if i can verify its a gen...

The insert that would have originally been fitted to a 551x would have had relatively thick fonts. The insert that Rolex would fit (during servicing) into a 551x today is the thin font version. So either is appropriate for a 5512. Of course, the cost of an original insert is likely to be higher than the more common service replacement part. In my opinion, assuming it has a naturally aged patina, an original insert looks best on a naturally aged watch & the modern insert looks best on a more pristine example.

The insert that would have originally been fitted to a 551x would have had relatively thick fonts. The insert that Rolex would fit (during servicing) into a 551x today is the thin font version. So either is appropriate for a 5512. Of course, the cost of an original insert is likely to be higher than the more common service replacement part. In my opinion, assuming it has a naturally aged patina, an original insert looks best on a naturally aged watch & the modern insert looks best on a more pristine example.

+1 :good:

• 2 weeks later...