When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding the Navitimer

rafi717

I was worried that was going to be the case. I tried to PM Andreww but he seems to have that option blocked. My goal is to have a 12-6-9 Navitimer running on the ETA 7750 but after all I have read about the sunked datewheel I am having real doubts I will be able to pull it off. From the pictures on www.1-pc8838.com the datewheel seems to be quite flushed with the dial.

why not buy the Series Speciale version of the Navi which already has a 6-9-12 configuration and a flush datewheel?...

if you want to use a tri-compax dial/configuration dial - like the one in your post - you can use a 7750 and an eta 4.5 datewheel...that's what i did on my old skool tri-compax Navi - but i can't vouch for whether the newer model tri-compax have the right 4.5 alignment?...

if your question is whether you can mod a rep tri-compax into the 6-9-12, i don't think its an easy task -- unless you have access to some rep movement parts...

and if the question is more focused on the case - i know that you need an old skool tri-compax case to make an eta7750 franken...and this doesn't appear to be one...

R-

why not buy the Series Speciale version of the Navi which already has a 6-9-12 configuration and a flush datewheel?...

if you want to use a tri-compax dial/configuration dial - like the one in your post - you can use a 7750 and an eta 4.5 datewheel...that's what i did on my old skool tri-compax Navi - but i can't vouch for whether the newer model tri-compax have the right 4.5 alignment?...

if your question is whether you can mod a rep tri-compax into the 6-9-12, i don't think its an easy task -- unless you have access to some rep movement parts...

and if the question is more focused on the case - i know that you need an old skool tri-compax case to make an eta7750 franken...and this doesn't appear to be one...

R-

At the end I want to be left with a 6-9-12 version. The question I guess is can I fit an original dial in and a 7750 ETA movement into the 6-9-12 Navi versions currently being sold (like the ones below from Perfect Clones).

Also wondered if anyone can tell me what are the differences between these two:

bl10031 navitimer serie

post-15210-0-62547800-1301985458.jpg

and bl10034 navitimer serie speciale

post-15210-0-43279300-1301985584.jpg

both from PC

Thank You!

Movement swapping in Navis is a quite confusing topic. We went through all this a while back when a member was trying to fit a gen 7753 in to a rep case. I think what we found was that for the 7753 to work he needed and old slow beat 6-9-12 case. What makes things even more complicated is that the manufactures keep changing the design and the sellers don't update their pics. Ideally you would buy the 6-9-12 Navi that you posted (both the same, just one is on leather and the other steel) and you should be good to go, only having to modify the seconds hand and the subdial hands slightly. But, the Fighters edition that I have seen shipping lately is NOT the one pictured and actually has a sunken datewheel for some silly reason. Best advise I can give is to keep your eyes open for a used fighters and use that.

what A says...

i also am fairly sure that any of the slow beat Navi cases work - either 6-9-12 or 6-9-12...other cases won't work...

one of the experts on this is polexpete...search out his posts and you'll get a sense of it all...

• 1 month later...

PS: Just pulled the dial off of my Serie Speciale, and I can confirm that the datewheel is sunken because there is an extra plate between the dial and the movement (even though it's not used for anything in this watch). I will post a pic later.

The plate, oddly enough, has a GMT complication on it (putting a 24 hr hand into the 12 o clock subdial) that's not attached to anything.