When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Critique my cheapo 1680

urbanshogun

A slightly larger (1024x768) & less shadowy pic would help, but what I see looks very good so far. :good:

Remember, with vintage Rolex watches, God is in the details (which are currently ;) difficult to see).

Indeed, this picture is awfully dark for fine details.

One thing I noticed (and correct me if I'm wrong...) shouldn't the bezel font be fatter?

I will post a few pics at higher resolution in a few hours, the tapatalk image host resized the picture to save space I guess.

I have been looking at pictures of gens, and I just can't seem to see that great a difference in the cg. Or it's difficult to tell from the angles of gen pics.

I am about to order a generic 127 crystal, but it seems to me that this design could never be waterproof, the crystal just fits into this beveled ring with no support? Is it possible to make this model waterproof? I'm guessing this is not how the gen is constructed.

Thanks for reading,

-us

i recommend every one building a vintage find a store with gen vintage pieces and check it out. once you see it in 3d the way it translates in photos makes absolute sense and you can tell where youre at.

there is also much variation between shapes and thickness but every rep ive seen is still too thick at the base

youre cg base is still too wide, square it a bit more and make the end taper off stronger. check the side profile making sure it still follows a crescent contour so it doesnt look like the top has been worked but the bottom not... so hard to explain on 'paper'

I have been looking at pictures of gens, and I just can't seem to see that great a difference in the cg. Or it's difficult to tell from the angles of gen pics.

-us

I have a 1680 too and the CG is something I'm having trouble with too... When I get mine back, I'm going to post pictures and see what the experts say. I think it's all in the quality and angles of pictures you can take. Many online are very difficult to see...

The old second hand got lost!

A very kind member sent me a couple of second hands from a 21j sub, but they did not fit at all! Can anyone tell me what movement this is so I can get a replacement hand that fits?

90525d1f-c764-85ec.jpg

Can anyone tell him if a gen Swiss 2836 will drop right in. I am sitting here looking at one complete with red sub dial, silver datewheel and handset.

That case isn't even a little bit like a gen. I don't know how a 127 is ever going to work. I have a Chinese 5513 case here on my desk and a gen top hat 127 - it won't fit, but there's a crystal here that looks like a 127 (maybe the one that came of one of the Chinese vintages) that does appear to fit - I don't know how they mount it thogh - maybe a press in with a gasket? It's a tight fit so maybe a careful application of glue would make it work?

Why not get the new cartel vintage 1680 sub that comes apart like the gen and start with that? A gen crown/tube would make a pretty nice piece out of it without all the work and it should be waterproof.

Bill

Bill - Is the crystal too big or too small? I've found that a lot of the PT and Cartel cases need the OD of the rehaut machined smaller .008" - .012" before the crystal will fit. Forcing will usually crack the crystal...

Urban - If the sweep hand's tube is just a bit large you can carefully "crimp" it and it should work. An ETA will likely be a "drop-in" but new hands will be needed.

You will probably find part of the post still attached to the seconds hand, the exact same thing happened to me with a 5513 a few weeks back, I ordered a new movement from Ofrei, I think it was $15 and a set of hands from Ken at Rafflestime I think the hands were $3.50, but the shipping was twice that, hope that helps you out.