When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Angel & Jay's best Sub project

Brian

I had originally posted over on rwg1 part of an email I got from Angel & Jay at silix-prime about them working on having a Submariner made to their specs, with it being able to accept at least some OEM/aftermarket parts, kinda like the MBWs, and them having more control over all the little things that people who hang out at rep watch forums nitpick over. jsph in a Re to a post by veni12, over in the Dealer Review section about a great experience with J & A, had brought the subject back up. With all the good looking new Subs that have come out, & hopefully will keep on improving, I wanted to keep everyone aware of how their project is coming along, so here's the latest.

Got my Re: from Angel & Jay this afternoon . . . and some pics from their short trip, interesting place, and beautiful looking country. They said it was a really old town, about 1k from where they live. From the distance, it could have been one of the little towns in PA, about an hour or so from here, in the mountains by Cook's Forest. The close-ups, definitely NOT PA !!

Now . . . the news on the Sub project. When I first posted about it on rwg1, I had said they were interested in a BEST QUALITY Sub, for a great price, and wanted to continue a quality line to include a SeaDweller, and next, a GMT II, and on from there. As always, they are true to their word, and their mission. Here's the cut & paste from the Email.

They just could not get things right. So does the Sub project, the factories could not get all parts correct. It is dragging much longer than we thought. So I may just go get the Subs from some other watchmaker first. We were out for the weekend, for an old town thousand miles away. It is such a pretty place, walking along the street, u feel like sinking back to the ancient time. I am sending u some pics I took from another email account. Nice day.

And so, bad news, delay in the "best Sub" project. Great news, they're still on a mission to get one made the way they want it, and have used the input from the members of the forums critiques on the Subs that I've sent them as an added guideline to their expertise.

A & J also mentioned they were going to be registering on the new RWG . . . oh yea, that's here . . . and over at RWI also. They also hinted at maybe running some special deals just for the members of the forums.

So, that's the latest. As I hear more, I'll keep passing the info along, at least until they get set up here themselves.

B

Edited by Brian

@brian...oh man i hate the font and the colour you are using...it makes me difficult to read all the post...it makes me nervous...

and, like i said...i didn't manage to read all the post...

Angel & Jay are great to deal with, but your font and colour are giving people anxiety attacks!

:Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy:

Jay and Angel get my gold award for customer service! They have a great relationship with their watchmaker and I have had a few custom builds from them myself.

The problem with custom stuff is the watch maker isn't really that inclined to make it perfect, they will try and achieve what you want but they also have some pretty tight profit margins so they will always cut corners but the out comes are usually very good.

Again hats off to Jay & Angel for taking the time to listen to what the market wants because the watch them selves makers rarely do this.

I think that Jay, & Neil are the only dealers so far that have taken our suggestions to the factories,..

which is not easy, as it takes at times new machinery, & tons of extra work, which may not be supported

in terms of finances.

I think we need to realize that we are but a small segment of the market,.. the vast majority of the

rep buying public, are not close our education levels regarding accuracy & mechanical reliability,

thanks to our unique forums, so when we tell our dealers to twist arms of the manufacturers,

they do so with grace, but knowing that most of their customers don't know or care about 90% of

the issues we bring up, they are under no pressure.

I know this, as I have been dealing with King and Jay for over a year with these same issues,

until I finally learned the facts of life...

My next venture with Jay, will be a return to my original efforts, which were killed in it's infancy by

Blade's notions of separation of forum and sales, which this board has shown so far, no such blind spots..

However I am returning to the idea that we should come together as a group, for purchases,

which will afford us with just above wholesale prices, and steady support for our boards. ;).

"Yeah... i have invited them to join our new place as dealers" (Thor)

Hope you don't mind, but I've been throwing in a plug for them to sign up here in my last couple E's to them too, and that I thought it would be a really good idea, especially just after that big group Pan buy, and they're pretty popular rite now.

"@brian...oh man i hate the font and the colour you are using...it makes me difficult to read all the post..." (dadog13 & dcrooz)

sorry about the dark burgandy . . . I'm still thinking blue background . . . with SNOWFLAKES !!!

I changed it to black for ya . . . but I've used the Tahoma font for about 9 months & change at the RWGs, and it's also been one of the true web fonts since as far back as I remember. . . & I even remember, long ago, hand coding a first, second, and third choice of fonts for a web page . . .

"it makes me nervous..."

Good thing the font Chiller isn't on the list, huh . . . (there really IS a font named that, really). . . 8^)

"The problem with custom stuff is the watch maker isn't really that inclined to make it perfect, they will try and achieve what you want but they also have some pretty tight profit margins so they will always cut corners but the out comes are usually very good.

Again hats off to Jay & Angel for taking the time to listen to what the market wants because the watch them selves makers rarely do this." (Davey)

"I think that Jay, & Neil are the only dealers so far that have taken our suggestions to the factories,..

which is not easy, as it takes at times new machinery, & tons of extra work, which may not be supported

in terms of finances."

(If I may split your quote RT)

This wasn't going to be a custom project, just them trying to come up with a little better rep than the competition. When they mentioned to me their project on getting together with a watchmaker friend, who has some factory connection, and tweaking a Sub & SeaDweller to better specs, I had been talking to them about mods to the watches, and what I needed for one I bought from them. We talked about the little fine tuning things that would make the reps that one step closer, but I also talked about how the vintage MBWs would take OEM/aftermarket parts WITHOUT any mods to them. I stressed that beside the better quality in the case, and workmanship, that the OEM/AM swap outs were a HUGE part of their reputation. That was one of the MAIN things they were trying to achieve, even if just on the bezel & insert, and crown. This would be adapted to the whole line they were trying to come up with, Subs, SDs, GMT II, Exp II, and vintage models, not just a few custom made watches.

"I think we need to realize that we are but a small segment of the market,.. the vast majority of the

rep buying public, are not close our education levels regarding accuracy & mechanical reliability,

thanks to our unique forums, so when we tell our dealers to twist arms of the manufacturers,

they do so with grace, but knowing that most of their customers don't know or care about 90% of

the issues we bring up, they are under no pressure." (RT)

So, about the reps today . . .

and I do remember teasing you all when I first found rwg, good naturedly, of course, about how picky you all were about the printing on the dial, the date font being wrong, the hands too short, or long, the bezel too thin, the pearl not even close . . . all these tiny insignificant things I just couldn't see even bothering about . . . and now, not quite a year later, and not as sharp as a lot of you . . . what the hell did you turn me into ????

I notice these things !! And I look at the new models that come out, and start picking them apart . . . just like you all taught me . . . and the worst one of the bunch . . . JOE !!!!! After reading his posts, talkin to him on the phone, reading his posts about the mods he's done to HIS watches . . . GEEEEZE . . . I've gotten even worse !!! He's REALLY turned me into one picky SOB . . . so go ahead, get even, I deserve it, I'm slowly turning into . . . one . . . of you !!!!

So, that aside, are the reps today, at least the major, popular, money making ones, really that close looking to the gens? Are . . . we . . . koff, koff . . . just that overly picky, and that 90% are right, no one else would really notice the difference ??