When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to wear...

TeeJay

I'm going to a friend's wedding reception this coming Saturday, and debating on what watch to wear... We're going to be away for a few days, so I'll be wearing my Heritage the rest of the time, but I'm thinking that would be a bit much for the reception (wearing a suit with a black shirt) and was thinking about wearing my DateJust on black leather, which is way more subtle. But, that has the dreaded R Word on the dial, and I'm wondering if to wear it might be an invitation for some douche to make a comment... I've worn the DJ to business networking lunches, and never once had anyone comment (or that I could tell, even notice it) but this is a situation where I think someone 'might' (some of my friend's friends are chavvy [censored]) so I'm, just wondering if it might be easier to just avoid the risk by not wearing it... The Heritage is less likely to attract 'brand recognition', but more likely to attract attention (and maybe look a bit poseurish) so I'm really in two minds about what best to wear :bangin:

Edited by TeeJay

a tudor sub...hehehe.

It seems that you're leaning towards the Tudor Heritage to begin with. And you reasoned that the datejust looks more subtle but is attracting attention, which is contradictory to itself. Rolex DJ is a common watch no? I've seen them in the wild more so than other watches.

T it's your business what you wear,I hate It when I allow what some d bag(s) might or might not say/think dictate what I wear. I also go through the same thought process when a furture function or another arises. Screw them,wear what you like,me? I like your Tudor Heritage,for the simple reason that It's a bad ass looking watch,cheers :drinks: Mike (ps)... Rock those awesome tats to bro,really give them something to talk about :D

a tudor sub...hehehe.

It seems that you're leaning towards the Tudor Heritage to begin with. And you reasoned that the datejust looks more subtle but is attracting attention, which is contradictory to itself. Rolex DJ is a common watch no? I've seen them in the wild more so than other watches.

Hee hee, the Tudor sub would be fine, but I figured better not to wear a tool watch for a semi-formal occasion :D I am leaning towards the Heritage in terms of a) I'll be wearing it anyway b ) It's not likely to attract the "Is that a Real Rolex??" question, and c) Much easier to read the hands after a few drinks :whistling: But, it is a very noticeable watch on the wrist, which was why I felt it might look a bit OTT for the occasion. I agree, the DJ is way more subtle, but, it still has the R Word on the dial, so if it was to attract attention, it could very easily be the wrong kind of attention... It's not that I'm worried about pulling off wearing a rep, as you say, the DJ is a common watch to see in the wild, and I could have conceivably afforded to buy the real thing at one point, it's just that some of the people going are the kind who would make needless/snarky comments just for the sake of it if they were to see the R Word, hence my thoughts as if the Heritage might be the better watch to wear, as, although it would be noticeable, it would be unrecognizable, so less likely to be commented upon :bangin:

Edited by TeeJay

T it's your business what you wear,I hate It when I allow what some d bag(s) might or might not say/think dictate what I wear. I also go through the same thought process when a furture function or another arises. Screw them,wear what you like,me? I like your Tudor Heritage,for the simple reason that It's a bad ass looking watch,cheers :drinks: Mike (ps)... Rock those awesome tats to bro,really give them something to talk about :D

M, I like your thinking, bro :good: Indeed, the Heritage is a badass watch, I'm just thinking it might be too badass for the occasion :lol: Ironically, the ink's going to have to stay hidden, simply because I've been given a 'shirt and trousers' dresscode by my friend (going to look soooo funny seeing his scally mates trying to wear suits :D ) and even with my sleeves rolled back, the sleeving on my arm still wouldn't be visible :D Here's a pic of the latest expansion work I did...

DSCN3874.jpg

The higher up my arm I went, the harder it was to get the proper contact with the machine (even with Emily stretching the skin) so my friend's going to have to re-line that stuff by my shoulder when he does more work on me :D

Edited by TeeJay

M, I like your thinking, bro :good: Indeed, the Heritage is a badass watch, I'm just thinking it might be too badass for the occasion :lol: Ironically, the ink's going to have to stay hidden, simply because I've been given a 'shirt and trousers' dresscode by my friend (going to look soooo funny seeing his scally mates trying to wear suits :D ) and even with my sleeves rolled back, the sleeving on my arm still wouldn't be visible :D Here's a pic of the latest expansion work I did...

DSCN3874.jpg

The higher up my arm I went, the harder it was to get the proper contact with the machine (even with Emily stretching the skin) so my friend's going to have to re-line that stuff by my shoulder when he does more work on me :D

Nice T,I thought you had some ink on your lower forarms. I was thinking after the wedding,the reception is when people loosen there ties and roll up there sleeves. It's all good bro,do try to have some fun with those "scally mates" :lol: Mike

Nice T,I thought you had some ink on your lower forarms. I was thinking after the wedding,the reception is when people loosen there ties and roll up there sleeves. It's all good bro,do try to have some fun with those "scally mates" :lol: Mike

Thanks, bro :good: I do have the maple leaves on the lower forearm, my arm's just rotated in such a way that you can't really see them, as this pic was to show the new ink I added to start 'capping' the end of the sleeve :) There's still going to be cloudwork coming a bit lower, but without the hibiscus outlines on the edge of my elbow, the leaves were making an incomplete sleeve which was starting to bug me, so I decided to add them myself, rather than waiting for Nathan to do it (as he's moving at the moment) That then created the illusion of more of a complete end to the sleeve, but then the space on my bicep between the kanji and the tribal was starting to bother me, so again, rather than waiting, I got out the planned stencils and did it myself :bangin: The tricep area now looks really empty by comparison, but as I can't see there, I'm not too fussed about waiting till Nathan can do more work :thumbsupsmileyanim: The plan for the tricep area is another full Japanese maple, cloud/wind-bars and some hibiscus petals, but possibly also some stylized lightning bolts to wrap right around to the front as well :)

[Edit to add]

As the sleeves're going to be the traditional 7/10th length, they'll almost never be visible with rolled sleeves, but yeah, I definitely think the scally's need messing with :D

Edited by TeeJay

Thanks, bro :good: I do have the maple leaves on the lower forearm, my arm's just rotated in such a way that you can't really see them, as this pic was to show the new ink I added to start 'capping' the end of the sleeve :) There's still going to be cloudwork coming a bit lower, but without the hibiscus outlines on the edge of my elbow, the leaves were making an incomplete sleeve which was starting to bug me, so I decided to add them myself, rather than waiting for Nathan to do it (as he's moving at the moment) That then created the illusion of more of a complete end to the sleeve, but then the space on my bicep between the kanji and the tribal was starting to bother me, so again, rather than waiting, I got out the planned stencils and did it myself :bangin: The tricep area now looks really empty by comparison, but as I can't see there, I'm not too fussed about waiting till Nathan can do more work :thumbsupsmileyanim: The plan for the tricep area is another full Japanese maple, cloud/wind-bars and some hibiscus petals, but possibly also some stylized lightning bolts to wrap right around to the front as well :)

[Edit to add]

As the sleeves're going to be the traditional 7/10th length, they'll almost never be visible with rolled sleeves, but yeah, I definitely think the scally's need messing with :D

Trully a work In progress,very nice work at that. :good: Cant wait to see more as the project moves along.:)

Trully a work In progress,very nice work at that. :good: Cant wait to see more as the project moves along.:)

Very much so, and thanks :drinks: Here's a decent pic of the work to date on my back :)

DSCN3882.jpg

Edited by TeeJay

DJ on leather strap? I've been considered putting mine on a croc. Do you have a pic?

p.s. have you made a descision yet?

Go for it, it makes a subtle, but clear distinction between a watch good for with a suit, to a watch more suited to formal occasions :) This is mine with the shirt I'll be wearing (cuffs will be rolled, as I'm not taking a jacket with me)

DSCN3884.jpg

Here's where I got the idea of a DJ on a strap...

torchwood.jpg

I'm thinking I will go with the DJ and just risk the comments :lol:

Edited by TeeJay

Man thats going to be wicked awesome when complete,very nice work so far T :drinks:

Thanks, M :drinks: The dragon's body is essentially going to be an extended question mark/open-bottomed 9, looping round and up and over from the head, and then back down towards my left leg, with a load of cherry blossoms, wind and water thrown in for good measure :victory:

I think you made the right decision. For a wedding, you go Class all the way, not bling.

Thanks, I think the DJ will be the right watch to wear, and the Heritage would be too much. I'll just have to hope no-one notices the R Word :whistling:

Edited by TeeJay

That is a sharp looking DJ. Good decision.

Thanks, I do like how it looks, but I can't claim credit for the idea, that's down to John Barrowman and the Torchwood Costume Department :thumbsupsmileyanim:

[Edit to add]

Thought I'd take a combo shot :)

DSCN3896.jpg

Edited by TeeJay

Come to think of it, my wife is dragging me down to Miami in June for the wedding of people we hardly know. She thinks it will be a nice get-away but for some reason she never remembers that she absolutely wilts in the heat. Borderline comatose.

For a Miami wedding, I'd go BIG with a white guayabera with white embroidery over natural linen pants and a Flying B, baby!!

If it was me, with my own stable of reps to choose from for a wedding, I would wear either a FM silver dialed crazy hour with black numbers on black croco or my Senator Sixties silver sunburst on black croco.

Fantastic choices :good::drinks:

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

There you go

+1

Come to think of it, my wife is dragging me down to Miami in June for the wedding of people we hardly know. She thinks it will be a nice get-away but for some reason she never remembers that she absolutely wilts in the heat. Borderline comatose.

For a Miami wedding, I'd go BIG with a white guayabera with white embroidery over natural linen pants and a Flying B, baby!!

Absolutely ideal for the location :good: I think I'd definitely be wearing a watch on NATO or Tropic-style strap in that kind of heat :whistling:

[Edit to add]

This is the gift I'll be taking. The writing is "The Pursuit of Happiness" translated into Chinese :)

DSCN3866.jpg

Edited by TeeJay

Traditionally, weddings are all about the bride, so gentlemens' watches should be kept simple, small &, for the most part, out-of-sight.

But if you plan to attend without a jacket, this is obviously not a traditional wedding, so I would select a watch that is in keeping with your overall deportment. If you expect to be revealing body art, I would not fuss over this & just wear whatever you want.

Traditionally, weddings are all about the bride, so gentlemens' watches should be kept simple, small &, for the most part, out-of-sight.

But if you plan to attend without a jacket, this is obviously not a traditional wedding, so I would select a watch that is in keeping with your overall deportment. If you expect to be revealing body art, I would not fuss over this & just wear whatever you want.

If we were attending the wedding itself, I'd definitely be wearing a jacket, but we're only attending the evening reception, which is being held at a pub, so a little relaxation of the dress code will be okay :) As before though, none of the sleeving on my arm will be visible, even with my cuffs rolled :)

18062009111339487.jpg

:thumbsupsmileyanim: and live forever after

18062009111339487.jpg

:thumbsupsmileyanim: and live forever after

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That being the case, I cannot imagine that any of the usual rules would apply. Wear whatever you like.

We've been told the dresscode is smart-casual, and shirt and trousers, so enough towards the formal end of the spectrum where the DJ would be more suitable than the Heritage, but not formal enough to go jacket, tie and pocket watch :)