When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750 Disassembly - Pictorial Step by Step

redwatch

Hello fellow RWG'ers!!!

Well it is a momentous day as I am doing my very first 7750 keyless works repair. I thought I would take some pics along the way to show you my progress and see if anyone has any tips or pointers :D

First of all, thank you txcollector for the fantastic link to the ETA SwissLAB with a full tear down procedure. Granted, this is an A7750 and there are some subtle differences, but I think it is working out just fine. For those of you who didn't see that post you can find a link to the SwissLAB here

Now I will be doing this teardown on a PAM 024D. The keyless works was messed up and to help out a good friend, I offered to give it a go. Obviously the first procedure is to de-case the movement (a procedure that I will not cover here). So, once removed, I mounted the movement and dial into my bergeon movement holder to begin the process of removing the hands:

e45d63f7.jpg

And now the hand removal:

95838c93.jpg

1ea2e3fe.jpg

Next I removed the dial. This particular PAM has a GEN dial on it which was mounted with dial dots, so extra care is needed to remove it. Once removed, i cleaned off the old sticky residue from the dial dots:

1474b094.jpg

Isn't that a lovely looking Lello date wheel? Anyways, now to remove the date wheel. There are several parts that need to be removed here, but I will caution you to be very, VERY, careful when you go to remove the Jumper Spring. It will fly out before you even know what has happened and then you will be quite screwed!

Screenshot2011-04-28at64024PM.png

So, after some very careful work, the date wheel is now removed:

ebf88945.jpg

Next we remove the date platform. Three little screws and a little effort to pull it up and you are good to go:

aa53bd13.jpg

Now we remove the hour and minute hand gears as they are just sitting in place. If you flip the movement over at this point, there is a very good chance these parts will just fall out so you need to be very careful:

05537cc9.jpg

And now the close up of the keyless works:

059cccc6.jpg

To be continued........

Nice job!

Pssst...You did not have to remove the DW and all the mechanics to get to the keyless works. :bangin::thumbsupsmileyanim: That is the issue with using the SwissLab site...it shows you full breakdown of the movement for a full service. You could have just removed the 3 screws for the Date Bridge and removed the entire assembly putting you right at the keyless works.

Also, notice your Date Jump wheel...ETA really needs to use this style. It allows you to quick change the date at anytime you wish! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Nice job!

Pssst...You did not have to remove the DW and all the mechanics to get to the keyless works. :bangin::thumbsupsmileyanim: That is the issue with using the SwissLab site...it shows you full breakdown of the movement for a full service. You could have just removed the 3 screws for the Date Bridge and removed the entire assembly putting you right at the keyless works.

Also, notice your Date Jump wheel...ETA really needs to use this style. It allows you to quick change the date at anytime you wish! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great tip Mike! Thanks for that. Now I know for the next one! :D

Ok....on with the show :D

So now I have the keyless works completely disassembled:

3267e0e1.jpg

ffe574d6.jpg

All parts check out and everything looks good so I began the reassembly process. I have made a little video of the procedure as well which I will be posting in a little while. Here is a pic of part of the re-assembly:

5ffba530.jpg

So when you service the watch, what are you looking for? Where and when do you apply oil?

In this case, I am not really "servicing" the movement. The keyless works was knocked out of position preventing the stem from going all the way back in to the winding setting. (I had already pushed it back into position before the disassembly but I thought it would be good to show the tear down and re-assembly of the movement in this tutorial so I kept going.

Servicing and oiling the movement is not something I am prepared to do quite yet, but soon :D

Nice pics but there was no reason to disassemble the keyless works other than a educational purpose for this forum. All components were positioned just fine.

Correct... as stated earlier, I reset the keyless works before hand. I wish I had taken pics of it before I started the complete tear down :D But, the tutorial has been fun to make so I figured I should keep going. Plus, for my own knowledge, it was fun to see how it all went together and to see how it operates. The video will show this a little more clearly and is uploading now :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Correct... as stated earlier, I reset the keyless works before hand. I wish I had taken pics of it before I started the complete tear down :D But, the tutorial has been fun to make so I figured I should keep going. Plus, for my own knowledge, it was fun to see how it all went together and to see how it operates. The video will show this a little more clearly and is uploading now :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ah ok. A worthy contribution Red ;)

Great job filming it. Nice and sharp film. What camera did you use?

PS: Don't forget to oil and grease the different parts as the keyless works is under a lot of stress. Otherwise wear and tear will set in pretty fast as all the metal grinds against eachother. It's easy if you have some different oilers, the right oil and grease (D5 and PML) and follow the SwissL@b instructions.

Are you saying that the Asian 7750 can be quickset at any hour without fear of damage, unlike the genuine Swiss piece? Very nice. :1a:

Are you saying that the Asian 7750 can be quickset at any hour without fear of damage, unlike the genuine Swiss piece? Very nice. :1a:

ONLY if the A7750 has the date jump wheel shown in the picture. If it has the solid brass kind used in older A7750 and ETA movements, then you will damage the works.