When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

International Registered Mail is No Longer Secure

freddy333

The following references International Registered Mail only (not domestic Registered Mail or any other mail carrier or shipping service). If you have questions about other carriers or shipping services, please contact the carrier.

International Registered Mail coming into the US may no longer be systematically scanned or signed-for each time the package changes hands.

International Registered Mail has always been considered to be the safest method of international shipment. However, apparently the USPS (quietly) changed their policy regarding the treatment of International Registered Mail about 2 years ago, as a cost-saving measure. This means that a Registered package can now be shipped between post offices without being scanned or left at the addressee's door without a signature. Of course, they forgot to mention this change to their customers, who are still (mistakenly) relying on International Registered Mail as a totally secure method of shipping important packages. Now, if an internationally shipped package (sent via International Registered Mail) goes lost, the US Postal Service may no longer be able to account for it. Unfortunately, this is likely to have serious ramifications for people buying/selling Rolex & other high value watches via ebay, TZ & other online sites where watches are bought/sold internationally. (To the best of my knowledge, this USPS policy change does not affect domestic Registered Mail (Registered Mail sent & received within the US).)

Sadly, this is yet another example of why governments can no longer be trusted.

so what about "Airsure"? Any ideas?

In UK you can have Standard International, Signed For and Airsure...

Standard is just normal post..... but the only difference between the others is one can be tracked in transit the other only once signed for...ie confirmation of receipt.. but both should be signed for..

There was a time when they could be trusted?

I stand corrected.

By the way, what's the source of this story? I was searching for it on google, and couldn't find much.

Statements made to me by 2 USPS Supervisors, who were explaining the current USPS policy as it relates to 1 of my 'lost' packages. :bangin:

I stand corrected.

Statements made to me by 2 USPS Supervisors, who were explaining the current USPS policy as it relates to 1 of my 'lost' packages. :bangin:

Nice. That's USPS for you. Kinda goes hand in hand with the international indemnities when you're trying to insure a package... and maybe 5% of postal clerks understand the indemnities and can accurately explain to you what they are.

So to sum up...

USPS: Ship internationally, and we won't take normal measures to secure the package nor will we insure it when our inattention to registered parcels causes loss or damage.

What's the point of keeping the USPS around anymore at all??? Anyone? Beuler?

I lost two registered packages in November and December last year--one was outgoing, the other incoming. I figured they were lost due to the corruption/incompetence of my local post office, but it's nice to know that things are going downhill everywhere.

Wait, that isn't nice to know at all! :(