When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do You Ever Sneek A Watch Purchase Past Your S.o.?

speedy1

OOOOKKKKK.

Here is one of my rare topic posts.

But I find my situation pretty damn funny.

I had just bought a MBW 1680 and MBW "snowflake" Tudor Sub when Eddie Lee's IWC Inge' came out.

I, along with almost everyone else, became short of breath when I saw this watch.

BUT.............the wife had put ca-bosh on any more watches (understandably so)

Well first I asked Eddie if I could WU him the cash.

He of course said yes.

But, I couldn't figure out how to get the cash out without my wifey asking what I needed that much cash for.

If I usually need a sum of money I tell her I am going to the tittay-bar and she is fine with it. But for various reasons that won't work this time.

So, finally, I was in the midst of purchasing a wheelset for my mountain bike from a good freind when the idea hit me.

I told my SO that I was purchasing the wheels for for more than I actually was and paypaled him the funds (my wife and I both use the same PP account) he then paypal'ed Eddielee for me.

My wfe remembers that I spent $900 building my last wheelset so she didn't question the extra money. (She never says NO when I buy bike parts as she is a work out fanatic and anything that will make me work off my beer gut beginnings is ok with her)

So had to send an email to poor eddielee explaining the situation. He like the champ he is understood of course. And I have a IWC on the way now.

My wife rarely notices what watch I have on so I am not worried about it.

Yes, yes, I know it is wrong to lie to your spouse.

But it doesn't hurt her, we can afford it, I only spend money of bicycles otherwise, and I am an addict damnit ...

So you can pass judgment on me if you want......

BUT I HAVE A NEW WATCH ON THE WAY!!!! :Jumpy:

My question is..............who else has resorted to such levels to get a watch that they wanted?

Since I handle all the finances in the house, there's really no need to sneak anything... But, I did make an agreement with my wife (which I initially suggested) that any watch or watch related purchases will be made from an account specifically for such things. If I have no funds in the account, I do what I can to raise money to fund it... Or just save until I have enough for what I need. It's my way of trying to maintain self discipline with my watch spending habits.

It was more difficult to explain the pass around watch than anything else. Mainly, why are you taking pictures of the watch in front of my ass? She called us a group of sick SOB's.

I always found that I could buy anything I wanted as long as the missus gets something every now and then for no particular reason.

Unfortunatly my wife is home all day so she gets the mail, and I dont trust the mail room guys enough to have packages delivered to work. Biggest issue was getting my daytona serviced... I got the money by selling something else, but she saw the post office receipt and was not happy. I pulled a who what and just ignored her for the rest of the day.

Are you guys kidding me?......These stories are too sad for words!!!!! Man, this is like a 12 year old saying his dog ate his homework, just tell the teacher ya didn't do it -- everyone wins, lol.

Just buy what you want, if the wife/gf bitches about it, she's not right for ya! :rolleyes:

Seriously, its only 200-300 for a rep watch (yea, its a hand full but compared to the gen???....Exactly, its peanuts), and if you're working day in day out at the office, then you MORE than deserve it. Life includes working hard, but rewarding yourself is part of life too, for BOTH sides of the relationship....If you get yourself a load of watches or whatever, and the wife get's nothing, that's not fair, but if she get's nice things too, theres NOTHING which justifies you not being allowed to.

Just my opinion.

-Floris

Are you guys kidding me?......These stories are too sad for words!!!!! Man, this is like a 12 year old saying his dog ate his homework, just tell the teacher ya didn't do it -- everyone wins, lol.

Just buy what you want, if the wife/gf bitches about it, she's not right for ya! :rolleyes:

Seriously, its only 200-300 for a rep watch (yea, its a hand full but compared to the gen???....Exactly, its peanuts), and if you're working day in day out at the office, then you MORE than deserve it. Life includes working hard, but rewarding yourself is part of life too, for BOTH sides of the relationship....If you get yourself a load of watches or whatever, and the wife get's nothing, that's not fair, but if she get's nice things too, theres NOTHING which justifies you not being allowed to.

Just my opinion.

-Floris

300-500 for a rep...........uh...........I think HOW MANY reps is the problem

$5000 for the Titus QuasiMoto I built a couple of years back

WHO KNOWS HOW MUCH in the BMC TT01 I am building now

And a good $5000 in the Colnago CTII I built last year

I bought a 2006 Triumph speed triple in June

My wife.....................well she bought a HOUSE!

WE both get nice things and I can buy almost anyrthing I want SO LONG AS IT IS SEEN AS FUNCTIONAL. There in lies the rub. She sees the bikes as functions because I can ride them and motorcycles and the moding there of for the same reason.

Also each bike I own and each vehicle serves a specific purpose (IE time trial or sport class or SCCA solo II)

But she can't for the beautiful life of her see why I need more than one or two watches. ESPECIALLY when I can a couple of genuine beauties that get worn less often that my reps. And add in the fact that a quartz seiko keeps better time than any of my auto reps and or auto/manual gens doesn't help my arguement either.

Everyone's relationship is a bit different but since I my wife is a financial and investment consultant she definitely has the money juggling skills and there for bill duty in our household.

He, he...if that's your wife on your avatar...I'd better listen to her! :p

Seriously, I do the finances in our family, so sometimes able to smuggle 'not-so-significant' purchases - meaning $200-300 reps etc. Everything above that get's noticed...of course.

It also helps that I own over 30 Seiko and Citizen divers, lot of them vintage, that I flip every now and then to be able to finance some higher priced reps... :rolleyes:

cheers,

babola

Wow... I must be lucky... My wife wouldn't notice a new rep on my wrist if I were to take it off, hand it to her and ask "What you think of this watch?"... She can't tell a Pam from a Sub from a hand-knit friendship braclet... basically she could care less about my watches. In fact she still asks why I need a rep when the fossil I used to wear for work still keeps time... yeesh women, so impractical. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I tell her about most of my rep purchases... others aren't worth bothering her with... We have a joint account and each have a seperate account for personal purchases (such as watches for me, and camera stuff for her) As long as I've got the funds to pay the house payment and keep food in the fridge and gas in the truck/bikes I can do pretty much what I wish... As I stated earlier... I must just be lucky. :wub:

Wow... I must be lucky... My wife wouldn't notice a new rep on my wrist if I were to take it off, hand it to her and ask "What you think of this watch?"... She can't tell a Pam from a Sub from a hand-knit friendship braclet... basically she could care less about my watches. In fact she still asks why I need a rep when the fossil I used to wear for work still keeps time... yeesh women, so impractical. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I tell her about most of my rep purchases... others aren't worth bothering her with... We have a joint account and each have a seperate account for personal purchases (such as watches for me, and camera stuff for her) As long as I've got the funds to pay the house payment and keep food in the fridge and gas in the truck/bikes I can do pretty much what I wish... As I stated earlier... I must just be lucky. :wub:

Yep, you're lucky ^_^ .......or some others may be pussy-whipped, LOL :p .....juuuuuuust kidding (well, some actually may INDEED BE pussy-whipped). Anyway, fully agree with this too:

As long as I've got the funds to pay the house payment and keep food in the fridge and gas in the truck/bikes I can do pretty much what I wish...

@Dutchy, women will change you....slowly, over a long period of time. Until your manhood is dissolved into a mush of "yes, dear".

AMEN BRUTHA!

And guess what

The better looking they are.......

and the better in bed they are........

The FASTER you will change.

You can bolster your young manhood all you want but you too shall succumb to the wonders of a "hot chick"

and you will do it without ever realizing it unitil finally your walking through a mall holding her purse. :Dj/k

You can bolster your young manhood all you want but you too shall succumb to the wonders of a "hot chick"

and you will do it without ever realizing it unitil finally your walking through a mall holding her purse. j/k

Exactly! Things will be going terrific...sex will be plentiful, until one day, you are sleeping on the edge of a king size bed with your wife in the middle wearing flannel granny pajamas!

A happy wife is a happy life! Words to live by.

Edited by miquel

So in other words the moral of the story is.......dont get married? :animal_rooster:

Or run like hell if you can't deal with it.

There are good points and bad points to anykind of relationship.

My wife is my best friend......

But she could sure make my life miserable if she wanted to.

And in her own words "ignorance is bliss, don't make me miserable by telling me something I really shouldn't know just becuase it eats and YOUR consience"

I wasn't sure what she meant but I took it as, "Don't tell me if it is going to [censored] me off" So I don't tell.

I wouldn't trade her for anything.

My gf bought me my first watch last year. Since then I caught the bug and bought 4 more. Whenever I talked about a new watch I wanted, she would get sad and ask why I didn't like the one she bought anymore. Therefore I only wear the one she bought around her and don't talk about any other watches! I've had to hide quite a few around the house when she is over....

Exactly! Things will be going terrific...sex will be plentiful, until one day, you are sleeping on the edge of a king size bed with your wife in the middle wearing flannel granny pajamas!

A happy wife is a happy life! Words to live by.

Sage words to live by... I snuck one in recently. Not because she'd say no, but because she can't say no to something she don't know about.

It's all about keeping the peace, man!