When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mbk source

takumee

Actually, I thought he does it more as a courtesy. When no one else could get MBK's a couple of years ago and I needed one for a project he did source it for me. If I remember correctly he lives there. He literally went to that mall checked on prices and he then got me one at a good price.

Actually, I thought he does it more as a courtesy. When no one else could get MBK's a couple of years ago and I needed one for a project he did source it for me. If I remember correctly he lives there. He literally went to that mall checked on prices and he then got me one at a good price.

That was my impression as well and the reason for not mentioning him. Don't want to flood a "ordinary" member's inbox with PM's. Narikaa on the other hand is a dealer who would love to get flooded with these kind of requests.. ;)

Sorry if I did a mistake advising Paul as a dealer.

I've bought several of his stunning buckles and asked him to get a MBW for me as he lives in Thailand.

I really don't think he's a dealer, but a nice helpful guy.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Hmm, interesting info indeed. A good friend of mine was at MBK on my behalf a couple of days ago just to find out that the stock was VERY limited (like only a few pieces available). He didn't do any further investigation though, but your info sounds like a very reasonable explanation! :g:

Thanks for sharing.. Much appreciated!

I always thought these MBK/MBW Rolex's were not 1:1 anyway? I mean, they needed a lot of work to get accurate, no? New crown/tube, lug holes drilled, crown guards trimmed, better non solid mid link bracelet, and a new insert and pearl etc....

Were the vintage Rolex's Puretime recently released not of good enough quality for a starting point for a vintage Rolex project? I mean, they were only $200 and had better pearls and overall look straight from the box, plus a low beat ETA movement closer in timing to the gen pieces.....

http://www.puretimewatch.com/category/vintage-models/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all the fuss over the MBK/MBW was over long ago? ;)

Cheers! B)

I always thought these MBK/MBW Rolex's were not 1:1 anyway? I mean, they needed a lot of work to get accurate, no? New crown/tube, lug holes drilled, crown guards trimmed, better non solid mid link bracelet, and a new insert and pearl etc....

Were the vintage Rolex's Puretime recently released not of good enough quality for a starting point for a vintage Rolex project? I mean, they were only $200 and had better pearls and overall look straight from the box, plus a low beat ETA movement closer in timing to the gen pieces.....

http://www.puretimewatch.com/category/vintage-models/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all the fuss over the MBK/MBW was over long ago? ;)

Cheers! B)

the puretime cases are too large, the dials are disposable, the clasp is disposable, the retaining ring needs machining, the lug holes are not in the correct spot IMO, the cgs need doing, crown needs replacing, and the bezel ring doesnt seem to fit a gen insert on account of it being too large. what are you left with? a swatch 2846 with plastic pallets that needs servicing. out of the box by all means get the $200 puretime but bring it no further or you miss the point of owning it. If you want to make a franken vintage something get the mbk case as a starting point at twenty dollars less than PTs complete. put the same amount of money into it, get a gen dial, crown, insert, a non 2846 movement and youre really only spending $70 more to bring both watches to the same point but with a correct case size and parts that fit right in to the mid case. agreed the mbk bracelet could be a lot better. skip the watch and just get the case is my advice, save the PT for casually rounding out your collection of subs.

their normal production has been interrupted (verified recently), so if the OP is getting something real soon i'd be interesting to see what he/she ends up with in lieu of their typical production. if theyre supplying stuff in the interim it has to be from a different source.

http://www.puretimew...vintage-models/

Cheers! B)

the puretime cases are too large, the dials are disposable, the clasp is disposable, the retaining ring needs machining, the lug holes are not in the correct spot IMO, the cgs need doing, crown needs replacing, and the bezel ring doesnt seem to fit a gen insert on account of it being too large. what are you left with? a swatch 2846 with plastic pallets that needs servicing. out of the box by all means get the $200 puretime but bring it no further or you miss the point of owning it. If you want to make a franken vintage something get the mbk case as a starting point at twenty dollars less than PTs complete. put the same amount of money into it, get a gen dial, crown, insert, a non 2846 movement and youre really only spending $70 more to bring both watches to the same point but with a correct case size and parts that fit right in to the mid case. agreed the mbk bracelet could be a lot better. skip the watch and just get the case is my advice, save the PT for casually rounding out your collection of subs.

shock.gifshock.gifshock.gifshock.gifshock.gifshock.gifshock.gifshock.gifshock.gifshock.gif

wow this is just what i love about this forum....keep it up guys

Good info, if a little harsh on Puretimes offerings! :lol: Some of his pieces are more accurate than others, and there are multiple dial variations to choose from too. The lug holes are the right size and look fine to me, what's wrong with the clasp? :)

So either way you go, they all need a lot of work and upgrades, nothing near 1:1. I think the phong case sets are the best by far if you want real accuracy, no? Not sure how you source them though! :p

I sunk a fair bit of money into a couple of vintage Rolex projects way back when, with a great deal of help from an Austrian watchmaker friend, only to lose interest once they were completed and ended up selling the watches :lol:

cartel version is indeed fun to practice some mods on, their 5513 dials doesnt look too bad either. CGs are the biggest problem, cant be worked with on those, they come stumpy more suited for a gmt. you can only subtract metal, not add it, so these cases are NOT a good place to start.

check the pt clasp with coronet stamping against the gen or even the mbk stamping, its horrible. the mbk bracelet is a 93250 style and cant be corrected since the clasp is already drilled to look like a 93250. the band also has an odd taper and the endlinks are obviously incorrect. this is where its worth sourcing a pt bracelet, get the PT 580 endlinks (decent enough, gen is better) and use the bracelet, add a gen 93150 clasp and youre good to go, complete pt bracelet $30. DONE.

This looks to be a great thread! I'm in the process of building a 5517 and just received the cartel 5517. While it's one of the only options to get a case back and bezel insert, I'm not really pleased with the case. The crown position is way too low. Would a MBW 5513 case have a better crown position? Does it accept a gen tube and plexi?

Thanks!

This looks to be a great thread! I'm in the process of building a 5517 and just received the cartel 5517. While it's one of the only options to get a case back and bezel insert, I'm not really pleased with the case. The crown position is way too low. Would a MBW 5513 case have a better crown position? Does it accept a gen tube and plexi?

Thanks!

indeed it does.

4844764844_ee5ea27fab_z.jpg

the case really only needs 3 things; lugs drilled to 1.25mm , tube swap , and CGs done. im hoping to mod a whole bunch w/ these 3 basic changes to bring them up to a 'standard', once NP stock returns @MBK.