When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 Project

JEKS

I am really in love with the Double Red Sea Dwellers that I have seen to date.

What I would really like, thought I'm not sure of authenticity is a nice aged vintage unit with a riveted or folded bracelet and high domed tropic style crystal. I am thinking of starting with one of the units from Angus at PT, but am confused with the 6 dial types.

I am looking for all kinds of suggestions and information on the proper route to follow to end up with a very believable vintage looking DRSD.

I was thinking the following;

PT base unit, dial 3

shave crown guards (why does this still need to be done if the rep factories recognize this obvious flaw?)

replace crown with gen if available

file date window to larger size & fix metal surfaces with black paint or Sharpie depending on matching

replace rep bracelet with higher quality riveted or folded rep

bleach insert

scotch-brite and fine sanding to achieve weathered look

possible tritium/tritium contamination relume

replace movement with Swiss version of std. Asian supplied with rep

movement service

mineral-oil treatment for bracelet

I am hoping to pull this off for <1000 USD

So, any thoughts, suggestions, sources, items I need to address. Items which show I'm a complete neophyte. Please offend if needed, I'm prepared.

Thanks - J

So, any thoughts, suggestions, sources, items I need to address. Items which show I'm a complete neophyte. Please offend if needed, I'm prepared.

As a neophyte, I would recommend that, before you even begin planning your dream rep, you need to research the real thing & select the version you are interested in. Start here.

PS I'm also willing to look at well done units for purchase vs. doing this all myself. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but I have a basement remodel going on as well...

it all depends how far you would like to take it, my 1665 even has a Rolex movement

Club,

So far, I've done the following, though I'm sure you'll get many opinions on my choices...

I engaged PBDad to build my 1665 for me. He suggested, and I went with a full watch from Angus at Puretimewatch. Another option, and many posts on here swear by it, is the MBW case option which has several benefits but is more pricey.

Although not correct for this watch, I wanted a rivet style bracelet as I prefer their feel over folded link bracelets. I like their look and feel better than the Oyster solid option. I went with one from Yukiwatch.

I like the high domed crystals, so am going with a Clark tropic crystal at PBDad's suggestion.

He's going to do his accelerated aging to it for me as well.

I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to seeing it when done. I'll post here when I receive it.

I would highly recommend reading the link given by freddy333 a few posts up. Very informative.