When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP ROO Chronopassion - Review & Pictorial

Fellow AP lovers,

The Chronopassion has been out for some time and I have finally received it. I ordered it the day it came out and finally this week it arrived from Torobravo. The watch arrived in Spain DOA with the rotor loose in it’s case so Toro had to send it to his watchmaker to get it repaired. That’s why it took two months.

Now onto the review and the pictorial!

History about the Chronopassion.

c0.jpg

Chronopassion is a famous AD located in Paris, France. They sell various Haute Horlogerie brands such as Richard Mille, Urwerk, MB&F, Greubel Forsey, Glashütte, … Also the Hublot Boutique in Paris is runned by the owner of the Chronopassion Boutique.

This model has been release in 2009 by AP for the Paris-based retailer. This exclusive timepiece is manufactured from titanium, which features a “microbillé” bead-blasted finish. The bead-blasted finish is contrasted by lustrous polishing on the bezel screw and bevels of the bezel. The waffle patern dial is in a warm sort of grey and features white gold surrounded luminous hour markers.

The genuine article has a balance frequency of 21,900bph.

Audemars Piguet has produced 50 pieces of this version and it is completed by a rubber strap and a micro-blasted titanium clasp. The titanium caseback is engraved with the individual number of the watch as well as the words “Limited Edition Chronopassion”.

Some gen pics:

octobe16.jpg

octobe15.jpg

octobe17.jpg

Now onto my review and my observations:

First of all, we all know the 3 usual flaws of the ROO’s (datefont & datewindow, caseback is too thick, position of the crown and pushers and the shape of the pushers). For this review I forget these flaws.

One of the first things I’ve done with my watch is cleaning it up, put the gen rubber strap on it (has a better feel imo) and take it outside! The shade of the bead-blasted Titanium in the sun is superb, awesome. Wonderful! The titanium has a nice feel and a less cold feel compared to SS.

DSC_1042.jpg

sunlight vs. shadow

DSC_1048.jpgwhat a beauty in the sun!

The machining on case was a thing I feared when the factory decided to add the bead-blasted finish, but it turned out beautiful and it looks as per gen. The only thing I can add is that the parts that should be polished should be polished a bit more. There is also a part they forgot to polish. The upper small border of the crown guards should be polished.

DSC_1047.jpg

the part that has not been polished can be seen here

Now to the dial; a wonderful dark-grey, anthracite color-base with black subdials. The subdials have silver outlines which are a tad too thick imo, but this is a flaw every AP has with those rings. Don’t see this as a flaw! Hardly noticeable.

The lume is bad, standard rep lume. The hands are better lumed than the numerals.

DSC_1048.jpg

ffd35b6b.jpg

Gen Omega PO dial vs. Chronopassion (iPhone shot)

Caseback…..GREAT, it has all the correct ingravings, the Chronopassion logo is correct, they used a G-series number which is correct as well and the correct limitation number of XX/50. They produced individual limitation numbers.

DSC_1036.jpg

DSC_1054.jpg

The clasp is titanium as well, it’s not microblasted like the gen though.

The crown screws in better than my other AP’s, also the pushers are easier to push. (Just lucky I guess)

Conclusion: The ROO Chronopassion is for me one of the most beautiful ROO’s ever produced. It’s sporty yet stylish and classy as well. I think it can be combined with a t-shirt and a jeans as well as with a suit. It has a warm and elegant look even being a chunky watch. The bead-blasted finish also gives it a bit of a stealth look. The way the titanium changes in sunlight or shadow is beautiful. I’d definitely recommend this watch! But wear it as a Sunday’s watch, the titanium is a scratch magnet!

My Chronopassion will get a superlume mod and I will ad an AR'ed cyclopse as the gen is AR'ed also the parts that should be polished will be better polished :).

I hope my review helps as well as my pics do.

Extra pics (heavy!):

DSC_1030.jpg

DSC_1031.jpg

DSC_1032.jpg

DSC_1034.jpg

DSC_1038.jpg

DSC_1042.jpg

DSC_1043.jpg

DSC_1044.jpg

DSC_1048.jpg

DSC_1051.jpg

DSC_1056.jpg

DSC_1063.jpg

DSC_1066.jpg

DSC_1067.jpg

DSC_1068.jpg

DSC_1069.jpg

DSC_1069.jpg

DSC_1075.jpg

DSC_1076.jpg

Edited by edgematic1

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice AP !

I will not buy a new AP because the movement with seconds at 12" is really not Reliable... The 3 AP I have had 2 are all Out of Order today... A watchmaker have controlled the movement and told me that with this Modif it's a Miracle if it works a long time... Same problem with the dayto with sec at 6"... Not cool because they are nice !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...