When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tried on a gen DSSD the other day...

TeeJay

Not impressed :thumbdown:

Probably the shortest review I've ever written, so I'll go into a bit more detail :whistling:

Everything I feared about the watch from seeing pics of it on here, were confirmed the instant I picked it up. The dial and case, viewed 'dial-on', was not so bad, especially as I had my Heritage on prior to trying, but the thickness of the case, definitely seemed a bit OTT, and I totally stand by my previous comments about the thickness of the bracelet... The DSSD needs a 22mm bracelet to be a proper aesthetic match for the case. It felt okay on the wrist, not too heavy or unbalanced, but it definitely isn't the watch for me, as I could never accept the bracelet/watch ratio... Oh well, I know it's a popular watch, and to each his own, but I just wanted say a few words on the subject :):drinks:

I too have never warmed to this watch.

I think it relates to your comments on the size of the watch head in comparison to the bracelet width.....it looks like some sort of weird mix and match. I'd take a good old Sub any day of the week :)

I think both the larger DSSD as well as the classic SD have their rightful place. The classic Rolex sizes are perfectly balanced watches, comfy to wear, good to read, tough and timeless designs just like a Coke bottle or a 911 Porsche.

The DSSD caters to people who like "bigger" watches, an obvious trend during the passed years, that no one - not even Rolex - could deny. While I totally agree with the improper ratio of size of watch head vs lug-width, I still like the DSSD - although mine is on a nato and I never wear it with the original bracelet.

What I absolutely do not understand is why Rolex stopped production of the older, "smaller" models on the SD, the GMT and the Submariner. That, I would have never, ever done.

I loved the concept but have to agree the head to bracelet ratio makes it wear funny on my wrist. I am glad I had the chance to try the rep first. Although I never owned the gen I have had the opportunity to try it on several times and concluded the same thing on gen. But make no mistake, the gen oozes a whole other level of precision, fit and finish. if they ever adjust the bracelet I would give serious thought to saving up for one.

I was on vacation this past week, and stopped by a Rolex AD to check out the DSSD, since I have the rep.

Gotta say, my rep looks pretty good, but the bracelet and clasp on the gen is light years higher in quality. The clasp locks and clicks into place with perfect precision.

Then again, we are talking about a gen that retails for 10K, compared to my 200 dollar rep. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments, amigos :drinks: I'm glad to know it's not just me who doesn't really feel it, even though I understand that it is a popular watch :) I think if the watch was re-released with a 22mm bracelet, I would have no issues with it 'as a watch'. The height which the watch stands from the wrist is probably no worse than a PAM (but I think it is taller than the Heritage) but I certainly wouldn't try and wear it with a suit. T-Shirt and jeans or shorts (or a wetsuit :whistling: ) sure, but not if the aim of the wardrobe is to look smart... I must also agree with the above comment about the fit and finish of the bracelet. Links flowed absolutely butter-soft, quite a difference from the 'straight from the factory and in need of lubing' rep bracelets :lol: The other aspect which did catch my attention, was the semi-matte finish to the dial. It would've been nice to see it under natural sunlight, but I doubt they'd've let me take it out of the mall for the experiment :D

I have skinny wrists so any watch over 40mm looks ridiculous on me.

However, I think that watches have become retardedly big over the past decade. Makes everyone look like Randy Jackson. Just MHO.

randy-jackson-and-curtis-and-co-big-time-air-watch-gallery.jpg

Peace out beeeatches

Edited by Vuggy

I have skinny wrists so any watch over 40mm looks ridiculous on me.

However, I think that watches have become retardedly big over the past decade. Makes everyone look like Randy Jackson. Just MHO.

randy-jackson-and-curtis-and-co-big-time-air-watch-gallery.jpg

Peace out beeeatches

It's not so much the diameter of the case which was an issue for me, but the thickness and height which it stands from the wrist... Way too clumsy for anything other than casual/tool watch use, but of course, to each his own :drinks:

Totally agree with you TJ. I had the ultimate V5 for about 3 weeks and then traded it. I was very surprised at how well it balanced on my wrist given how extremely top heavy it looks, but that was the only thing that impressed me. It just seemed freakish to me. Not opposed to larger watches, but that one just looks weird to me.

Totally agree with you TJ. I had the ultimate V5 for about 3 weeks and then traded it. I was very surprised at how well it balanced on my wrist given how extremely top heavy it looks, but that was the only thing that impressed me. It just seemed freakish to me. Not opposed to larger watches, but that one just looks weird to me.

Sorry I missed your comment at the time, amigo :whistling::drinks: I understand what you mean, yes, in terms of 'weight distribution', the watch is perfectly balanced on the wrist, it's the undersized bracelet which makes the watch head seem so freakishly out of proportion. Not even so much that it's a 'big watch', just that bracelet issue letting it down badly :wounded1:

Ditto same experiance for me as well.

The resistance against the DSSD is gaining strength :thumbsupsmileyanim: