When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Durability and Ruggedness of Panerai Reps

PwnageRoyale

Hey guys,

Been roaming the forums passively for about a month now, thoroughly enjoying it, but I haven't been able to find any information about the ruggedness of Panerai reps.

The thing is, I need a watch for camping, fishing and kayaking (and everyday use). So it has to be semi-rugged, water resistant enough to take a swim (as I tend to flip), and durable enough to take an occasional shock or bump. So I thought of getting a gen Luminox 3097 or 3063, as they will surely be more than rugged enough. BUT (and please imagine this "but" being said the way only Jeremy Clarkson can say it) the looks of the Panerai 005 and 359 are so much more appealing to me!

So my question to you guys is: are the reps rugged enough for my use? And if not directly from the factory, can it then be made sufficiently rugged?

Thanks in advance!

They do the job fine :)

Thanks, nice to know! I've been a bit worried that the Asian mechanical movements wouldn't be able to resist the inevitable bumps and shocks. I've actually considered buying a rep with a quartz movement because (I assume) it's more durable. Is there any reality to my assumption?

Ok...

The movements Panerai uses in its manual wind watches were originally pocket watches which were big and rugged movements. They were made to be rugged and durable. The cases that Pam reps are in are GREAT cases and if you have greased the orings etc. you have a watch that can just about withstand anything! Now, Asian movements are something else that I cannot comment on, but should be nearly as rugged once looked at and/or serviced by someone competent. No watch unless its a plastic digital watch is meant to be "banged" around, but these big heft Pam movements (Manual wind) are solid workhorses that can take a lot of abuse within reason. They were, afterall, in OEM form, made for the military and "good" reps are not far off from the real thing save fit finish and other minor(imho) things.

Put it on, forget about it, and do what you like. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If you pay a couple thousand for it, think twice about it...It might not be worth dinging up... :whistling:

Ok...

The movements Panerai uses in its manual wind watches were originally pocket watches which were big and rugged movements. They were made to be rugged and durable. The cases that Pam reps are in are GREAT cases and if you have greased the orings etc. you have a watch that can just about withstand anything! Now, Asian movements are something else that I cannot comment on, but should be nearly as rugged once looked at and/or serviced by someone competent. No watch unless its a plastic digital watch is meant to be "banged" around, but these big heft Pam movements (Manual wind) are solid workhorses that can take a lot of abuse within reason. They were, afterall, in OEM form, made for the military and "good" reps are not far off from the real thing save fit finish and other minor(imho) things.

Put it on, forget about it, and do what you like. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If you pay a couple thousand for it, think twice about it...It might not be worth dinging up... :whistling:

Remember also that these 6497 pocket watch movements are hand wound, so every 42 hours you'll need to wind it up. For your use, a rugged quartz watch will definitely do the job... However... So will a nicely maintained 005k. Contact one of the modders and ask them to quote you for a standard 005k with upgraded high-beat Seagull (they'll know what it means) and then get them to waterproof to 5 ATM. If you're careful to wind it, nothing short of a direct impact will damage it. The sapphire cystals are incredibly hardy.

...then you need a strap...

c675fcb7.jpg

:)

Remember also that these 6497 pocket watch movements are hand wound, so every 42 hours you'll need to wind it up. For your use, a rugged quartz watch will definitely do the job... However... So will a nicely maintained 005k. Contact one of the modders and ask them to quote you for a standard 005k with upgraded high-beat Seagull (they'll know what it means) and then get them to waterproof to 5 ATM. If you're careful to wind it, nothing short of a direct impact will damage it. The sapphire cystals are incredibly hardy.

...then you need a strap...

c675fcb7.jpg

:)

Good point about direct impact Rock. :drinks:

Good point about direct impact Rock. :drinks:

...Or tiles... I have a gorgeous titanium cased homage with a skeletonised 6497 which I wore every day for months. One day It feel out of my gym bag and straight onto tiles. Movement hasn't worked since and the crystal popped out. But I loved the ergonomics of the Luminor case and decided to get a 111 :)

You can probably bash a PAM Luminor case around, the steel is very thick and I doubt you would do much more than damage, the crystal will take a real beating, but dropping the case from distance would be I'll-advisable. My skeletonised movement was definitely more sensitive but I wouldn't want to repeat it with a solid-bridged version.

So I'll forget about the Luminox' and the automatic Panerais.

[...] Contact one of the modders and ask them to quote you for a standard 005k with upgraded high-beat Seagull (they'll know what it means) and then get them to waterproof to 5 ATM. If you're careful to wind it, nothing short of a direct impact will damage it. The sapphire cystals are incredibly hardy. [...]

Do you suppose a Swiss 6497 is rugged enough? There's a PAM111h for sale over at RWI with that movement.

And Rock, I'm already psyched to start looking at straps! Your strap is awesome, but I think I'm gonna go for a nice, thick leather one. And maybe one like yours when I go kayaking ;)

Thank you all for your patience and help!