When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are any of the Milgauss reps actually magnetically shielded?

TeeJay

Don't laugh, but I just realized that when I tattoo, the machine is not far from my watch, and I'm concerned about if the magnetic field from the machine could eventually affect the timing of an automatic :g: Yes, I know I have quartz watches I could wear while tattooing, but I just wondered if the Milgauss reps might actually be shielded as per the gens, or am I just being :bangin: ?

My vintage 6541 is, and I kinda wish it wasn't.

The case is really thick!

Is that a rep or gen? I know the easiest solution is for me to just wear quartz while working, but once the idea was in my head, it just got me to thinking and wondering as to if the reps actually would be anti-magnetic :) I think I've seen UPOs with anti-magnetic inner-casebacks, but I wasn't sure if that was functional protection, or just replication of detail :pardon:

My vintage 6541 is, and I kinda wish it wasn't.

Not so sure about that, the inner "shield" looks to be brass while I think I remember reading the gen is a soft iron composition. I'll set it on top of a big-a$$ magnet for a few days when I get it back together and see if it will either still run or work as a really cool refrigerator magnet! :rofl: I've always wondered why they just didn't make the movements from non-ferrous materials and be done with it...

I have tested a few rep anti mags with a strong magnet Tim, the only one i have found to work so far was on a 45 PO from silix, the test was stick magment on the back of the watch and see if it still runs, i think the subjects we the Silix 007 PO, Ingy, Milgause a couple of breitling 7750 and a vintage sub, all stopped bar the silix PO. but that may have been because it was a 007 rep version so made by the rep Q Branch :animal_rooster:

Not so sure about that, the inner "shield" looks to be brass while I think I remember reading the gen is a soft iron composition. I'll set it on top of a big-a$$ magnet for a few days when I get it back together and see if it will either still run or work as a really cool refrigerator magnet! :rofl: I've always wondered why they just didn't make the movements from non-ferrous materials and be done with it...

I like the sound of that experiment, reminds me of Nanuq's experiment in how to cook a Rolex :D

Wouldn't the biggest problem be the hairspring. Rolex uses a non magnetic hairspring as I recall.

Yes, I believe the hairsprings do stick, and that's what I want to avoid happening :D

I have tested a few rep anti mags with a strong magnet Tim, the only one i have found to work so far was on a 45 PO from silix, the test was stick magment on the back of the watch and see if it still runs, i think the subjects we the Silix 007 PO, Ingy, Milgause a couple of breitling 7750 and a vintage sub, all stopped bar the silix PO. but that may have been because it was a 007 rep version so made by the rep Q Branch :animal_rooster:

Thats a wide range for testing, and interesting that only the PO was, and that the Milgauss wasn't :) I guess I'll just stick to quartz while tattooing :)

Remember that even the Gen is rated for only 1000 gauss ... so ... using a rare earth magnet stuck to the back of the watch could be way over the tolerance of even a Gen Milgauss.

edit: I just looked it up, and even a small NIB (rare earth) magnet is 2000 gauss. So placing a strong magnet on an anti-magnetic watch will always overpower it's protective shell.

Remember that even the Gen is rated for only 1000 gauss ... so ... using a rare earth magnet stuck to the back of the watch could be way over the tolerance of even a Gen Milgauss.

edit: I just looked it up, and even a small NIB (rare earth) magnet is 2000 gauss. So placing a strong magnet on an anti-magnetic watch will always overpower it's protective shell.

Your comment reminded me that my father in law has a couple of gauss meters, so tomorrow I'll see what kind of kick the magnetic coils in the machines puts out :victory::)

For some reason i did not test my gen ingy though, i think i will have to get it out one day and test that.

It'll be interesting to see how it fairs, is it reputed to have any anti-magnetic qualities?

• 8 months later...

Since a thousand Gauss isn't actually all that much, any metal case with a solid caseback is itself is pretty close to shielding a watch to about that. The little anti-mag shield insert that they add does create a Faraday cage effect even if it's not made purely of iron, so in that regard, the Milgauss is "shielded". Is it shielded as much as gen? Probably not, but can it withstand a thousand Gauss, sure.

A thousand Gauss is much less than the strength of any MRI machine, the smallest of which usually run about 1.5 Tesla, or 15,000 Gauss.