When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stem position...

stac

What's the best position to have the stem when removing...1st winding, 2nd date set or 3rd hour set? I remember reading one of them is the best and won't screw up the keyless works...(on the ETA's of course!)

Thanks guys!! :rolleyes:

Pull the stem out to the time-setting position & be careful not to depress the stem release button too far in.

If you do depress the release button too far in, the keyless works will be messed up, and that is $25 for a watchmaker to fix. Then you won't do that anymore...

It depends on the movement.

ETA 28XX and clones, you want it in the hack/timesetting position. The castle gear is all the way in and you're the least likely to push it under the yoke (that's what actually happens when the keyless gets "messed up"). Try very hard not to push too hard, or (better yet) use a small screwdriver.

7750, according to the Zigmeister, you want it in the winding position. That's what I've always done and I've never had a problem.

i used to do it from the winding position it seemed like blind luck if it didnt get screwed up when it came time to reinsert the stem. have since tried the time setting pos and have never had a problem yet. time setting allows for two things IMO, the hack lever to stop movement which is handy for installing hands :) AND you can eyeball the stem and easily remove it and thus easily reinsert it square to the movement since the stem has a block on the end. if you dont insert it aligned to the opening in the gear thats when i believe things get pushed out of alignment.

Same question/problem here:

I removed the stem in the time setting position, but now the manual winding doesn't work.

On what kind of movement? You can have the spring that gives sideways pressure on the yoke pop out of position without having the whole yoke pop out of position (that would give no manual winding but everything else working).