When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strange-looking 1016 replacement case

lhooq

Are any of you Explorer fans bidding on Item#140559100676? That's the "ROLEX EXPLORER 1016 CASE W/CERTIFICATE. GOOD REPLACMENT"

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it just looks off to me. The lugs appear to be too fat, in both height and width. The lugholes appear to be too narrow, and look like they'll take Datejust- rather than Sub-sized springbars. Finally, the bezel is not nearly wide enough. A real bezel ought to shade the crown. All in all, I'd say Yuki's notoriously inaccurate 1016 case looks better.

And here's the kicker I just noticed: Is it me or is the engraved serial number crooked?

On the plus side, it comes with a COSC certificate that looks genuine enough. Tread carefully:

i-9DGjBwz-X3.jpg

It's too hard to tell because most of the references that you would see is polished and this one claims to be mint. It does have a superdome tropic though and yes, the stainless steel engraving is crooked. The bezel looks off, much like a datejust bezel. And the lugs (the bottom section) doesn't look like it has the right curves for a mid 60s 1016. It looks like a re-engraved 16200 series datejust to me lol.

According to the serial, the case is about 66 or 67, which means it should have had a thicker lipped bezel. My Japanese reference books indicte that thin bezels didn't occur until the late 70's/early 80's for the 1016. Plus it does look too small...

So...very suspicious...

According to the serial, the case is about 66 or 67, which means it should have had a thicker lipped bezel. My Japanese reference books indicte that thin bezels didn't occur until the late 70's/early 80's for the 1016. Plus it does look too small...

Aagh... I need your reference books! I didn't even know there were documented bezel sub-types!

fake case, or at least fake engravings.

Check out the engravings on the serial side. yes, they are crooked, but I've seen that before. But the E' look wrong. Center stroke in the E looks too long for my eyes. Should be shorter in length.