When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My MBW DRSD is somplete! (for now...)

tabularasa415

Many US Rolex RSCs would probably not even touch it at this point due to its age. However, if they did service it, they would want to replace any components that no longer meet specs with current parts. If you decline their recommendation, they may return the watch to you, unserviced.

In any case, because Rolex does not relume dials, having a vintage dial glowing brightly indicates a modified/fake dial.

Given that replacing components would radically change the appearance of the watch, I think you're right to say that they would probably decline the service due to it's age. If that was the situation, and the watch is no longer 'under warranty', then yes, as mentioned above, I could easily see the owner of such a watch having the dial re-lumed during a service by an 'off-site' watch smith :)

My criticism is simply that if function is more important than authenticity, why not choose a modern model that is easily readable in the dark?

Given that the watch of this thread is a rep, 'authenticity' is not the issue, but 'accuracy to original detail', and in that regard, with the greatest of respect, not everyone is as keen to be as 'true to form/faithful to the original' as you are with your own projects :)

[Edit to add]

That might've come across worse than it was intended, and I'd just like to say that no offense was intended, just that I know you are very much a purist when it comes to accuracy of detail :)

I appreciate your adherence to keeping to the original gens, too. I've seen some of your projects and they're gorgeous. I still think the patina of my dial is pretty spot-on, and I know there are plenty of gen owners out there who have their dials and hands touched up by non-Rolex pros. Kent Parks has done plenty of these. I think it's one of those things that's a personal preference and we obviously at this point know one another's preferences. hahaha. I respect your preference, I just prefer mine. :drinks:

Besides, most people will think my watch is fake anyhow... it doesn't have "one of those magnifying thingies" on the crystal

:black_eye:

In Europe you can't get any kind of service by Rolex without getting a SL service dial, SL hands and pearl, because the Rolex don't want to handle with tritium anymore.

Rolex UK serviced my 31 year old 16750 in March this year. They left the original Tritium dial and hands on it.

I never understand why people spend so much time, effort & money to make a credible-looking 40+ year old Rolex & then splash brightly glowing (modern looking) lume on the dial.

Great question, Freddy. Here's my little example of why I had it done.

Before:

bond_sub2.jpg

After:

bond_sub_sm.jpg

In this case someone had apparently applied lume to the hands and dial with a pain roller, and it was breaking off into the movement. I had to take drastic steps so I sent it to Ziggy. He painstakingly removed the glop, then redid the lume. I asked for a vintage creamy color and the material he had glows in the dark, so I'm sort of stuck with it. But WOW did he do a nice job pulling the old girl back from the brink! :notworthy:

Maybe in 20 or 30 years it will quit glowing again. I've got my fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...