When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex BK DSSD Issues, Need Feedback!

gehrels

Guys, I just get my BK DSSD and I am not happy. Pls look at the pictures and look at the "E" of escape and at the "0"of 50 on the bezel. Especially the E on escape is bothering me.

I already pmed BK and am awaiting answer. Now the problems is that I am going on holiday next week and really was looking forward to wearing this watch during that. Now I am highly emberassed to wear this even around my house.

What can be done about this? Is this a easy fix? I am not a great modder and would like your opinion/views?

Thanks,

P1200890.jpg

P1200891.jpg

Welcome to the rep game.

Surprises me that this happens to BK watches but it can happen.

Just wait for BK reply and everything will be solved.

Heads up and i think you have to wear a different watch for your holiday now.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Well i am really unhappy. I told BK i wanted to take this watch with me on holiday. This is a huge letdown for me.

I have untill the 20th before I go. Anyone has any idea how I can let this be fixed? Is this something any watchmaker can fix? How does this need to be fixed anyway?

Yep, this is a travesty and we need a stout rope.

ANYTIME someone has a relatively minor issue with a member of good reputation and takes it to the list before that member has an opportunity to respond, . . . a long drop with a short rope seems like a happy ending.

I "just" got the watch, I am "waiting" on an answer . . . you need to calm down.

Just to be clear, I don't know BK, and never had any dealings with him at all. If he tells you to pound sand, you would get no sympathy or support from me, but for the fact that I can see you are brand new here, and haven't had time to get a feel for how things go around here.

Reputation is all important here - there's a whole world of sordid, thieving garbage pervasive within this industry. Reputation and track record is all we have to go on, and all we have to offer.

Like I said, you're brand new, and we have all been there, so we understand. I'm sorry your first experience with this was disappointing; Unless this little episode gets him thoroughly pissed off, I am sure he'll make this right.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your feedback. Rather then pounding me for the fact that I ask your guys help how could fix this locally or myself, you start to trample me with the fact that I am relatively new here.

The reason I bought from BK is that he check evrything and provides quality check before the watch ships out. This is a major flaw and I really want to take my watch with me on holiday.

So before BK answers me, I really would like to get feedback as to what could be done about this the quickest way possible. I don't mind paying for things myself but I really want to get this flaw fixed as soon as possible.

I am not being negative about BK, but am of course dissapointed.

Dennis

Thank you for your feedback. Rather then pounding me for the fact that I ask your guys help how could fix this locally or myself, you start to trample me with the fact that I am relatively new here.

You are not being trampled on at all. Bill considered the fact that you're a new member (affectionately called a noob around here) and used this to your favour.

He just told you that it's wise and part of the culture here to first try and solve it with the person you did business with before getting it in the open. He also explained why and it's a very reasonable explanation.

Had you asked if this is an easy fix without naming the dealer it would have been an entirely different story. You would have been told that this is no easy fix and that you will have to solve it with the person you got it from.

It's very understandable that you're upset but the rep game demands loads of patience and if something like this happens you will have to stomach the additional waiting time. Being edgy will not get you anywhere but you will get harsh reactions because everybody here has long accepted the fact that the rep game needs patience.

Give BK the chance to make this right. I'm very certain he will. I have experienced his way of dealing with a problem and he is a complete gentleman.

I wish you good luck with this. And I hope you have another watch for your holidays so you can fully enjoy them. :)

Kind regards

Valerian

I'm not trying to trample you - just make you understand how things go around here.

It sounds to me like you were pushing for a rush job and you got one. From what I hear, BK generally turns out exceptionally good work.

If that's you're only rep watch, and all you're worried about is having a nice rep to wear on vacation, the solution to your immediate problem seems pretty simple to me - assuming you are here in the US.

If that's the case, email me your FedEx address at TJGladeRaider@aol.com - I'll lend you something nice that's tested to be waterproof.

Bill

If that's you're only rep watch, and all you're worried about is having a nice rep to wear on vacation, the solution to your immediate problem seems pretty simple to me - assuming you are here in the US.

If that's the case, email me your FedEx address at TJGladeRaider@aol.com - I'll lend you something nice that's tested to be waterproof.

Class act. Amazing.

Val.

Hi Bill,

I really appreciate your gesture. The problem is that I live in Holland. I did not rush BK. I had order in the begining of May and he he shipped it out one month later. He just sent me a pm and offered me a refund. I really appreciate that also but I really like the watch a lot and would just like to get the issue fixed. I was wondering if Domenico could fix this. I saw a video on this forum on how it is being done with the black enamel etc. and was hoping to find someone in the EU who could do this for me.

Thanks again Bill.

Dennis

Hi Bill,

I really appreciate your gesture. The problem is that I live in Holland. I did not rush BK. I had order in the begining of May and he he shipped it out one month later. He just sent me a pm and offered me a refund. I really appreciate that also but I really like the watch a lot and would just like to get the issue fixed. I was wondering if Domenico could fix this. I saw a video on this forum on how it is being done with the black enamel etc. and was hoping to find someone in the EU who could do this for me.

Thanks again Bill.

Dennis

Even though I have handled the gen DSSD, this is an aspect I am unfamiliar with... Is the lettering on the inner case ring engraved and enamel-filled, or has the paint simply been applied to the watch in some kind of printing process? In the picture, the letter looks like an F... Is there proper engraving to actually make an E if it was fully painted? If there is the 'bottom line of the E' engraved, then it would simply be a matter of de-casing the movement and stripping the watch, then applying some enamel paint to fill the engraving... As above, I stand by my point that it is unacceptable for a watch to be sent to the client thus, but best of luck with a resolution :victory::drinks:

I spoke to BK already and he told me that it is just a matter of enamel filling in the engraved part. I will go to my watchmaker on Tuesday and explain the process to him. I will ask him to redo all the wording so that it would look the same. Does anyone know what enamel paint to use, glossy or not? And what has to be used to clean the excess enamel paint?

Thanks

Is the lettering on the inner case ring engraved and enamel-filled ...

Yes, the regular DSSD rep (including BKs) the rehaut is engraved (thicker than the gen I might add) and a simple careful application of black enamel would fix it (unless this is a defective one that has an F instead of E, which I doubt).

As for the 50, I would not touch that. It's barely visible (most people would confuse that with some dirt on the watch) and matching that color with enamel is a little more involved. Doable but requires experience.

I spoke to BK already and he told me that it is just a matter of enamel filling in the engraved part. I will go to my watchmaker on Tuesday and explain the process to him. I will ask him to redo all the wording so that it would look the same. Does anyone know what enamel paint to use, glossy or not? And what has to be used to clean the excess enamel paint?

Thanks

If you have the ability to decase the movement, I'd suggest buying the paint and doing it yourself to save the watchmaker's fee... Personally speaking, I would go with matte black enamel paint. If you go to a model store, you should be able to get a small pot of paint (probably Revell brand) for under 5 Euros. Cleaning the excess enamel would just be a matter of using the appropriate paint thinner, but it would be easier to simply paint over the top of the ring (filling all letters at the same time) and then just wiping the excess away with a piece of cloth :)

I am not handy at all so I will make the watchmaker do it. How long do you think it would take him and what would he possibly charge me? With what do I remove the excess enamel?

Thanks

Maybe 10-15 minutes to strip the watch, 5 minutes to paint the insert and wipe away the excess paint, and another 10-15 minutes to rebuild the watch, you're not really looking at more than 45 minutes work, but as to what you might be charged for that, I wouldn't like to say... Some tattoo artists charge £50 an hour, some charge £80 per hour, some charge +£100 per hour... You can always ask the watchsmith for an estimate on the price before work begins. The other thing to bear in mind, is that although the work might not take an hour to do, the watchsmith might have a considerable waiting list, so you might not get the watch back immediately... If I was to be doing the work, as above, I would just paint over the existing letters, then wipe the excess enamel away with the edge of a piece of kitchen towel or t-shirt, but all artists have their own preferences and methods :pardon:

Thanks Tee Jay,

You would'n by chance no anyone (or yourself) who can do this for me (with payment of course)? I am located in Holland.

I need a quick turnaround.

You're very welcome, and I'm sorry, I can't recommend anyone :( I would offer to do it myself, but a ) I don't have the spare cash to be able to replace anything should the worst happen (playing with watches can go wrong...) and b ) Even though I'm in the UK, the shipping times alone would probably put this outside your requirement for the 20th... Your best bet might be to try and see if a local watchsmith can do it for you to avoid the delays on shipping :)

Wow, when I open my Oxford Dictionary at the page with "kind", your avatar and nick appears :clapping:

Like so many of us, I have more watches than I could ever wear, but it isn't that I'm "kind" . . . I just have the unique skill set (thank you Liam Neeson) necessary to lend a total stranger a watch with absolute confidance that I will get it back - along with any expenses that I might incur along the way.

:rolleyes:

Perhaps I should change my avatar to "Winston Wolf" from Pulp Fiction.

Bill

Well guys, I tried to work out a solution with BK but he does not care about this customer. He wants me to send the watch back and repaint the stripe that is missing on the E.

That means that I can wait another month, have customs risk again and not take the watch with me on holiday. I will never buy from BK again!

The guy sell tons of watches and will not stand behind his product as I have other dealers seen doing.

What a dissapontment.