When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone had a gen crown fit a rep tube?

specialvat

Hi Guys,

Have any of you got a gen crown to fit a rep tube, I m hoping for a few yes's so I dont have to worry about more stuff going wrong :)

In specialvat world at parts are the same dimension, even if I dont live in that dimension.

Give me your tales good and bad.

Cheers all.

Sometimes, they do fit, but the quality of the tubes in rep watches are terrible. So, even if it fits, you are likely going to be replacing it in short order when the threads wear down. For this reason, when I receive a new Rolex rep, it always gets a gen or Swiss-made aftermarket tube & gen crown right off the bat. That way, I know I will not have to deal with the usual stripped tube problem that plagues most rep watches.

I agree with freddy 100%. Although some of the newer reps come with decent crown and tube assemblies which are good copies of the gens, I find it's always best to replace the tube ( I use a good rep tube) and crown (I use a good used gen crown). At that point, you hopefully have achieved good WR and ease of motion/movement which are the two main purposes. If you like the rep assembly, you can always leave it in there. If it works well, no harm done. I have reps that work well also. So some it depends on how far you want to go.

Hello,

I could get this crown for cheap, it looks like a 24-700. Problem is that I can't find any tube for it. Where could I find an affordable one?

dsc07847jt65.jpg

dsc07848mtyh.jpg

dsc07849tq3s.jpg

This 703 is offered to me as well, there is a part missing, can it be repaired?

dsc07842zcc0.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by 1680

Now I found out Yuki would have the right twinlock tube.

But would the twinlock crown be the right choise for a white 1680?

The seller told me, the 703 just needs the springy thread thing (whatever) for the stem and can be repaired. Is it really that easy, could I use the ETA stem with that thing from my rep crown?

Thanks

Edited by 1680

I could get this crown for cheap, it looks like a 24-700. Problem is that I can't find any tube for it. Where could I find an affordable one?

This may fit ($28)

_DSC0037-4.jpg

(Click pic for link)

This 703 is offered to me as well, there is a part missing, can it be repaired?

Only if you have a donor crown available that has a good internal core assembly (I do not have any spares). I have never seen these parts sold separately.

All mine have replacement tubes from Clark's. Very high quality, and no issues ever.

I can see me needing more tools :)

Thanks for the response

There are many methods used by the members here to remove and install a crown tube. I think we're all too smart to pay $25 or more for a specialty tool to do it, or too cheap, like me. An inexpensive set of 'Easy-Outs' from most hardware stores, Auto Parts or Harbor Freight work beautifully, and are about $5.

Got very lucky when it came down to it, had to drill the rep tube a tiny bit and then widen the opening think I ve got about one thread to screw on to.

I wont be going near water with the watch not even near the sink, do you see any issues as long as it stays dry ?

Thanks again for the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...

The crown can have the clutch tube replaced, but you have to reheat it and have a donor crown with a good clutch and tube ready. Takes time and effort. Cheaper to buy a gen crown with a good working clutch and a gen tube that fits it.

E

Could get the 703 for 40€, so this would not be a good deal?

I can find a lot of 703s on eBay, but they are without the famous crimping marks.

I have had good luck with ebay seller jewelerstools, all of the 703's I have bought from him have indeed had the crimp marks.

• 3 weeks later...