When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wear a Rubber

freddy333

My rubber strap just arrived & this is what it looks like on my GMTIIC

rubbergmt0111.jpg

rubbergmt0121.jpg

rubbergmt0181.jpg

rubbergmt0101.jpg

rubbergmt0091.jpg

Remove the bracelet from your watch (2 springbars) & disconnect the clasp from your existing GMTIIC bracelet (1 screw & 1 clasp springbar). Then, attach the strap/clasp combo onto your watch using the original 2 springbars from your bracelet. Depending on your dexterity & tools, about a 15 minute job

rubbergmt20041.jpg

rubbergmt20031.jpg

rubbergmt20011.jpg

As you can see here, the strap is about 1 notch too long for my 7" wrist, which should (& probably eventually will) be cut to size

rubbergmt20061.jpg

rubbergmt20051.jpg

There is not much that goes into 2 flat pieces of rubber, but the fit (onto the bracelet/case) is good & my only complaint is a lack of instructions (for those without experience r&r'ing Rolex bracelets). Although I find steel bracelets to be more comfortable, the rubber strap's dark gray, matte finish definitely tones down the GMTIIC's bling factor, giving the watch a more purposeful guise.

Teejay - I cannot say there is $200 worth of material/technology in the 2 flat pieces of rubber I received (especially since they package it without any instructions, which is likely to be a problem for the average gen owner :bangin: - they are working on that), but I have been wearing the watch since I received the strap & really like the way it looks (compared to the blingy bracelet that comes with GMTIICs). At least, I am not constantly having to pull my sleeve down over my watch to keep from blinding unsuspecting passersby. ;)

Teejay - I cannot say there is $200 worth of material/technology in the 2 flat pieces of rubber I received (especially since they package it without any instructions, which is likely to be a problem for the average gen owner :bangin: - they are working on that), but I have been wearing the watch since I received the strap & really like the way it looks (compared to the blingy bracelet that comes with GMTIICs). At least, I am not constantly having to pull my sleeve down over my watch to keep from blinding unsuspecting passersby. ;)

That doesn't surprize me at all about the cost/value ratio, but, here's a little something which might surprise you, I wouldn't mind paying the cost for a strap like that which can be fitted to the existing parts. Sure, it's expensive, and could probably be done a lot cheaper, but, to me, that compatibility translates into value for money... It's funny how my moral compass can work sometimes when it comes to an item's value (It's like, I'm happy to pay the dealer price on a DRSD, because that is what the real thing would've cost back in the seventies :whistling: ) Glad to hear you're enjoying it though :drinks: I was going to advise you against cutting it that extra notch tighter, but you'd already done it by the time I posted, I hope it's still got enough freedom of movement to give good ventilation so it doesn't get too hot :)

The constant quest to find an alternative to the metal bracelet for Rolex sport models.

I have experimented myself quite a bit and have to say that at least at wrist shots this looks quite good ( I usually have the problem that it doesn't look so good anymore when looked at from a bit further away and the watch suddenly looks a lot smaller than on the bracelet).

This strap looks good, but $200 is a bit steep IMHO

The only other rubber I ever liked was a vintage tropic:

RST-6-3.jpg

I wouldn't mind paying the cost for a strap like that which can be fitted to the existing parts. Sure, it's expensive, and could probably be done a lot cheaper, but, to me, that compatibility translates into value for money...

I know what you are saying, but, as is the case when comparing cases on standard Daytona reps with those from Phong or NDT, which are many times more expensive even though the metal is the same. The only real difference is that the more expensive item is sized/dimensioned more accurately than the cheaper item. That just does not make sense & it is the same with these straps. Yes, they mate very well with the metal parts, but does it really cost more to measure accurately? :g:

I was going to advise you against cutting it that extra notch tighter, but you'd already done it by the time I posted, I hope it's still got enough freedom of movement to give good ventilation so it doesn't get too hot :)

I never wear watches tight & I cut it with sufficient length for future expansion, if required.

I know what you are saying, but, as is the case when comparing cases on standard Daytona reps with those from Phong or NDT, which are many times more expensive even though the metal is the same. The only real difference is that the more expensive item is sized/dimensioned more accurately than the cheaper item. That just does not make sense & it is the same with these straps. Yes, they mate very well with the metal parts, but does it really cost more to measure accurately? :g:

I suspect that the price tag is so they can target the product at gen Rolex owners who would feel that a $20 aftermarket strap was 'sullying' their watch, but would feel more comfortable fitting a rubber strap with a higher price tag :bangin: I think 'end use' is all important when it comes to things like this, especially the cases. If someone wants to do an accurate build, they will be willing to spend the money to buy the necessary parts. If accuracy is less important, the cheaper alternatives tend to be acceptable. It's like I'm wondering if the HE valve on the 1665s available at the $250 mark from dealers is actually functional, or purely cosmetic. Part of me says functional would be nice, but I'm not likely to be saturation diving any time soon, so it's really not an essential feature. I guess my view on it is a bit like faux chronos: I'd rather they did something, or be totally omitted... Of course, I can't see myself having the spare cash for some time, so it's a pretty moot point at the moment :lol:

I never wear watches tight & I cut it with sufficient length for future expansion, if required.

Glad to hear :drinks: I'm not sure if you remember the silicone strap I had a year or so back (mysteriously got lost somehow :mellow: ) but that had a flat back to it, and it really did get uncomfortably warm at times, especially compared to the way more comfortable Tropic-style :)

I suspect that the price tag is so they can target the product at gen Rolex owners who would feel that a $20 aftermarket strap was 'sullying' their watch, but would feel more comfortable fitting a rubber strap with a higher price tag

I think you are exactly correct.

It's like I'm wondering if the HE valve on the 1665s available at the $250 mark from dealers is actually functional, or purely cosmetic. Part of me says functional would be nice, but I'm not likely to be saturation diving any time soon, so it's really not an essential feature.

As it turns out, the working He valves on aftermarket cases & some reps are designed like the gens. In case you missed it, read this.

However, as I see it, the only reason to have a proper working valve is so that, upon close inspection, the watch looks gen. Having an engraving or etching in the side of the case is an obvious give-away of fakery (to a knowledgeable viewer).

I'm not sure if you remember the silicone strap I had a year or so back (mysteriously got lost somehow :mellow: ) but that had a flat back to it, and it really did get uncomfortably warm at times, especially compared to the way more comfortable Tropic-style

I have never been a big fan of aftermarket rubber straps (still not :nea: ). But, when you need to tone down the bling, all I can say is desperate times call for desperate measures.

I think you are exactly correct.

It appears to be a fine product though, and I've never minded spending money on something expensive which I consider to be worth the cost :) As mentioned before, the compatibility with the watch's existing clasp is something which (to me) makes it worth the pricetag (although of course, it could definitely be done cheaper :lol: )

As it turns out, the working He valves on aftermarket cases & some reps are designed like the gens. In case you missed it, read this.

Thanks for the link, I didn't realize that the MBWs had the faux valves, I'm glad I haven't asked a friend in Bangkok to have a look at the prices in the mall, as that would've really ground my gears, I think I'll just wait and see what happens when I eventually order one from WatchEden and hope for the best :)

However, as I see it, the only reason to have a proper working valve is so that, upon close inspection, the watch looks gen. Having an engraving or etching in the side of the case is an obvious give-away of fakery.

You are correct there, there is no need for a land-lubber like me to actually need the functional HE valve on the watch at all, and it is certainly a function which I would never see used. For me though, the knowledge that it was non-functional would probably irritate. A bit like the aforementioned faux chronos. I don't mind if a rep Daytona might have one of those day/date/24 hour movements, as those hands still perform a function, but when a watch has a dial with subdials marked out, and a hand just glued in place... That's what I really find frustrating :lol: Of course, as before, it's all a pretty much moot point at the moment till I can spare the cash to buy the piece, as with the lume tests, I'm just doing my groundwork to try and get a good project out of it :) Of course, anyone seeing it who knows what it is, would likely immediately know something was wrong ( ie why would I be wearing one... ) but I'd still like everything on it to actually work properly :)

I have never been a big fan of aftermarket rubber straps (still not :nea: ). But, when you need to tone down the bling, all I can say is desperate times call for desperate measures.

They do indeed :drinks: Of course, a cheaper option would have been to re-finish the bracelet and brush the mid-links ;):drinks:

What is the world coming to? ;)

I know, I'm even planning projects which're as per original spec rather than my normal custom craziness, then again, it's supposed to be the End of the World before too long anyway :thumbsupsmileyanim::drinks:

• 3 weeks later...