When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 GW Project Questions

Notloc08

I have been researching parts to use for my 1665 Great White build for a while now. I sourced a good number of gen parts including a luminova service dial, service crystal, service insert, and luminova hands. Accuracy is a big concern of mine with this project because I'm basically building my grail from scratch. My goal is to build a 1665 that looks like it just came back from the service center.

1. The most pressing question at the moment is what case to get. Currently I am trying to source a gen 1665 case which is proving to be quite difficult, people don't just have spares sitting around. So unless one of these pops up out of nowhere it's looking like I need to get a rep case. I've narrowed it down to these choices...

old MBW- this is what I am really trying to find right now. I've heard that the old ones have the correct HE valve placement but I haven't seen any with this so far and have seen multiple "old mbw cases" with centered HE valves. This is a defining characteristic of my project because the Great Whites feature the slightly raised HE valve. However, in my "serviced look" case it is possible that a DRSD dial could have been swapped out with my white service dial (not really the best idea but it has potential). Also, apparently the mbw can take a 1570 but the movement must be filed down (something I'd hesitate to do)

yuki- a good bit more expensive than the mbw, and I'm not sure if the additional costs is justified. Pros- can take a 1570 (which is an option on the table) and I can create my own serial number. Cons- same HE valve issue. I'm not sure that this puts me in much of a better position than having the mbw, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

ndt- $1050, ouch. Comes with "rolex" crown, any idea if that's actually the case? Can engrave customer serial. CGs need to be shaved and lug holes modded :thumbdown: . I can't find any pictures of the HE valve but at $1050 it better be correct. I don't even know if I'd consider this option unless it's literally 99% the same as gen after modding.

2. My second issue will depend on which case/movement I use. If I get a 1570 I'll just use my hands but if I use an eta what hands should I get for it? Yuki's look great, mbws seem a bit off and so do clarks. I have heard of tudor hands being used on an eta, would that be worth my time over yuki/other source?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate any advice offered.

As far as the placement of the He valve goes, it was nearly (but not exactly) centered on the initial, thin case 1665s, which were essentially Sub cases (my 4 year-old MBW case is like this)

repose0022__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

& raised slightly above the center point on all thicker cased, later versions. I posted a thread containing pics of each a few years ago, but it seems to have been lost during 1 of the RWG updates.

this is how they come the last i was buying them in bulk

4687386742_507151b4bf_b.jpg

as for the hands, they all suck. they all have tells that once you realize will stick out like sore thumbs.

try and score some gen hands. if youre going all the way with a gen movement spend the $300 on gen hands.

if you were to find a gen case expect it to set you back several thousands of dollars and may not eve be water proof

Thanks for the information, I'm still thinking that an old mbw with the correct placement of the he valve is the way to go. Now I'll just have to wait for one to pop up. Also, I might have been able to find a gen case for the project, I'll know by the end of next week. I realize it'll costs a couple thousand but then I'd literally have all gen parts if I got a 1570 as well.

I might have been able to find a gen case for the project, I'll know by the end of next week. I realize it'll costs a couple thousand but then I'd literally have all gen parts if I got a 1570 as well.

If you got a 1570? If you spend 2 grand on a gen case, of course you put a 1575 in it. ;)

The bracelet has been a work in progress. But as photoed above it was PT End Links, and links, and an MBW Clasp.

there really are no good bracelets and a gen is ridiculously priced. mbw clasp has the problem of being a 93250 stamped "93150", PT bracelet end connecting link is folded over but can be opened where as it should be folded and sealed, endlinks are obviously stamped too large with 580 and 93150. but i cant seem to find a better solution short of mixing gen parts either

What do you mean with "folded and sealed"?

This particular part is one of the last which I need to finish. I have the original Rolex spare part number for it but I havn't found an AD who want to order it for me <_<

GEN

5871439059_1dd7ac67d8.jpg

PT/CARTEL REP

5871996274_80f1dbd501_z.jpg

see the problem? the mbk doesnt even have this type of connecting link. but whats worse is the MBK has an odd noticeable taper to it.

maybe the metal is soft enough to heat up and close...probably not

yeah ADs are corporate stooges to the all mighty ROLEX law of the land.

I just added a GEN Clasp.

Honestly, when not under "Macro" inspection, the combo of the PT 580's and hollow bracelet combined with a GEN clasp makes for the most economical solution.

NEW GEN 93150's retail for $1100, good eBay examples average close to $800.

I just added a GEN Clasp.

Honestly, when not under "Macro" inspection, the combo of the PT 580's and hollow bracelet combined with a GEN clasp makes for the most economical solution.

NEW GEN 93150's retail for $1100, good eBay examples average close to $800.

agreed. in the end i chose pts bracelet, gen 580s and gen 93150 clasp, total around $300, about half the price of a used beaten stretched to hell 93150 complete.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question on the 1665 particularly the HEV and the correct bracelet. Where does one get the correct o-ring for the HEV? and what bracelet/crown did come originally on the 1665? I have a 1665 from trevor that I am mod'ding and I like the riveted bracelet, though it may not be correct. What other options are there? BTW I silicone greased the HEV and bent the securing tab on the case and greased everything else in the case as well as GSing the crystal, so far 40psi under 24" of water and no leaks.

E