When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5512/13 and 1680 project

Rolexaddict

"yeah i d like to understand as well how you can do this for $1600."

I had a 1680 project going but it went south when the DW 1680 case did not suit me.

Here is what it would have cost more or less...

I traded a diamond ring for a rolex 1570/75 with a pretty good genuine 1680 dial (the 1680 case rotted out and the dial/mvt was installed in a 1500 case). I had $900 in the ring. The 1500 case is probably worth about $100 if I sold it and then I could deduct it from the total.

dial/mvt...$900

mainspring...$12

stem...$4

used genuine crown...$20

J Borel case tube...$20

replica hollow link bracelet with clasp...$50

springbars/gaskets...$10

DW case...$99 from eBay

total...a little over $1100

I cleaned and oiled the movement for about $10 (chemicals and oil) but have a friend who is a super repair guy and if he cleans/oils a rolex movement for me, I pay him about $100 for auto/dates and $75 for manual winds and no dates. If you know someone who can do the cleaning, you can get a better deal by taking only the movement for repair...no case, dial or hands.

For some reason, repair guys are not afraid of naked rolex movements and will usually clean one fairly cheap but when they see the complete watch...they get scared and the price skyrockets. It's called 'Rolexiti$'. :shock:

I figure projects using genuine movements etc are Ok as long as the watch is still worth the sum of the parts. I did not follow this rule on my 1655 project though as it is around $3k and not running yet. :black_eye:

Otoh, I have a V72 and if I bought a DW case and dial, I could probably come out Ok if everything went all right with the movement. Maybe I will get a case and see how it goes.

Do it in steps...

1...clean and oil the V72 movement and get everything working right before putting the dial and hands on it

2...install the dial and hands

3...get the case ready - case tube, crown, crystal etc

4...make sure the bracelet fits the case

5...install the mvt/dial in the case

6...road test

7...don't drop it :animal_rooster:

Everyone has different reasons why they spend $$$$$$ thousands. I buy gen. parts as they come and build it slowly until everything that I have including the case is Gen. I had a yuki case before to be able to build and wear the watch. To each his own, Most of the people here have a life.

Everyone has different reasons why they spend $$$$$$ thousands. I buy gen. parts as they come and build it slowly until everything that I have including the case is Gen. I had a yuki case before to be able to build and wear the watch. To each his own, Most of the people here have a life.

hey why so serious ? :cry2:

the point is : show me one - one ! single aftermarked/replica/fake/yuck(i)/vietnam whatever case you want to call it ... that comes even close to the real deal.

spending a few hundred $$ on these cases is just wasting money.

there are gen cases in timezone, vrf, ebay .. for sale all the time - they will cost you around the same like the fake ones - why not invest a little time and wait for a good deal here ?

and the whole point that a gen movement fits in the case ? i don't get it - a watchsmith with some tools can make your movement fit.

come on guys - get a life ...

spending 1000s of $$z in something that will never be the real deal ...

you know it - everybody who knows Rolex knows it .... just get a used Date Just or something ;)

but Rolexaddict wants to sell them - i hope not as the real deal ?

anyway - why so picky now - you build 1675s out of Sub cases a 5514 form an SD case - what's wrong with you now ? :lol:

cheers,

Frank

I think you have just a regular formated brain made to understand regular formated forums discussions and basic regular emotions, like all these people who are graduated from high schools, or technocrats... giving lessons to the entire planet... just lol also

(kidding :lol: )

seriously :

my current 1675 production is not issue from cut sub cases or SD. I just upgrade my technics and knowledge from days to days. I don't sell anything here, I build and sell for collectionnors -not anals- paying a lot to have a close to perfect replica.

My project is simple and doesnt need masturbation to be clear :

a 5512 or 5513 or 1680 is actually around 5000 euros, or more, here in Europe.

I can build such a watch with gen parts and movement for less than 2000 euros.

I take a 1000 euros profit, and people have a perfect watch for 3000 euros instead of 5000 (and for 5000, most of the time you have a mix of gen and rep parts)

Hope its clear, for me it is. And I have customers. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

seriously :

my current 1675 production is not issue from cut sub cases or SD. I just upgrade my technics and knowledge from days to days. I don't sell anything here, I build and sell for collectionnors -not anals- paying a lot to have a close to perfect replica.

My project is simple and doesnt need masturbation to be clear :

a 5512 or 5513 or 1680 is actually around 5000 euros, or more, here in Europe.

I can build such a watch with gen parts and movement for less than 2000 euros.

I take a 1000 euros profit, and people have a perfect watch for 3000 euros instead of 5000 (and for 5000, most of the time you have a mix of gen and rep parts)

Hope its clear, for me it is. And I have customers. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

1000 Euro - okay - who where when ? :evil2::busted_cop:

please send some customers over :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i have trouble selling some used parts for a few Euros ;)

anyway - whatever you do - post some pics - so we can all have something from it :chinese:

I like what you did with your 1675s, but selling watches with Yuki cases to "customers" who probably do not know what they are getting is highly objectionable to put it lightly, sorry.

A gen movement and gen crown do not make an everything else aftermarket watch something only remotely comparable to a 5000€ vintage gen imho. Also I don't share your opinion that most of vintage submariners available are a mix of gen and rep parts.

Even if this was the case, I don't think that this would justify ripping off people with (although gen-powered) virtually complete aftermarket watches for 3000€.

I do not think that "projects" like yours should be discussed here in any way. Ever.

its maybe the whole attitude - building a Rep to sell it with high profit - isn't this illegal ? :p

one more I picked up : rep forum member giving lessons about selling reps...

What do you expect Star ? more prices/techs/sources infos ?

A precision : last year when I start to build 1675, I had A LOT of pms on the other RWG board from people -probably from here- taking different pseudos, licking my boots and kissing my ass to have a 1675 built, for what ? probably just to try to sell the double on EBay or on another board, come on...

You want some names ? just for fun... :lol: no, I am not a bastard, but... sometimes...

wiesn089, please don't suppose things and don't act like other here, giving lesson and being moralist, my customers are perfectly in fact my new products will be rebuilt vintage, looking exactly like original, with gen parts, at a fraction of the price. Not EBay swindle.

Well, you started this thread to ask about suggestions for good aftermarket submariner cases. On the first page you explain how you have decided to buy from NDT or Yuki with the only genuine part in your watches being the movement.

No aftermarket part looks "exactly like original" and you know that. While some cases might be fine, all dials, bezels, crowns etc. are flawed in one way or the other, so you are obviously advertising your watches under false pretences to your customers. In numerous of your posts you are suggesting selling frankens on ebay to unsuspecting buyers is common practice among members here, while in fact it is absolutely unacceptable and nothing any sane member would tolerate.

All these facts scream rip-off to me and I don't feel like there's anything about your project which has anything to do with the spirit of this forum and especially that of the many franken builders on here. :thumbdown:

"No aftermarket part looks "exactly like original" and you know that."

I agree this is true for most external parts but aft-mkt movement parts such as stems, mainsprings, train wheels, screws etc can not be detected...but since they cause no malfunction, they will not decrease the value of the watch. Some aft-mkt case tubes are undetectable and probably as good as genuine...same goes for springbars and a few other parts. As rolex cuts off parts, more and more aft-mkt internal parts will emerge. This is good (imho) because it allows vintage watches to keep on running. Some say to buy another watch with the same movement for parts but I can not see paying $1000 for a watch just to get a $25 part that is available as aft-mkt.

Example: I bought an aft-mkt intermediale wheel (for 1530 autowind assembly) a few weeks back and compared it with a genuine part. They are identical and many other wheels etc are the same way.

"While some cases might be fine, all dials, bezels, crowns etc. are flawed in one way or the other, so you are obviously advertising your watches under false pretences to your customers. In numerous of your posts you are suggesting selling frankens on ebay to unsuspecting buyers is common practice among members here, while in fact it is absolutely unacceptable and nothing any sane member would tolerate."

Many high grade aft-mkt cases, dials, and bracelets are are very, very good and many will easily fool me...although I am not a 'case, dial, and bracelet expert' by any stretch of the imagination. These parts will also fool the average vintage rolex buyer and they greatly decrease the value of the watch, especially when the watch has been sold as genuine.

Replicas exist in a gray zone and are tolerated by most watch guys except for Looney Tune Brand Purists etc and I am sure the vast majority of replica owners know exactly what they have.

Top of the line Frankenstein watches are in another league and I have no doubt there are a whole lot of them being sold as genuine. After all, RWG members can name three or four vendors who make a living out of selling the parts to make them.

Why do I make up Frankenstein watches? Simply because I like vintage rolex watches and will not pay the Current Fool's Price for one.

I hope no RWG member would sell a Frankenstien watch as genuine, but a few might. I for one would NEVER try to pass off a Franko as genuine. It is simply not right.

I also think anyone who publicly says they want to buy parts to make Frankenstein watches for resale should maybe keep this little tidbit of information to themselves for the good of the forum.

I would like to give a last precision,

After that you can continue philosophy and asking what is good or what is no good in the life

I have customers, here in Paris, who buy from me since 2 years. They know my mods are made from aftermarket parts and are reps, but visually 95% like gens.

Now, I upgrade my offer for these people : subs with a gen Rlx movement inside, matching end links, clasp numbers, etc. etc.

These people want to own a vintage sub for a fraction of the cost of a 100% gen : a 5512 or 5513 or 1680 for 2500 euros, an authentic is at least 5000 euros. They perfectly know I sell sharp replicas, and they know I assume servicing in case of problem.

Do you know, here, supposing you have a 5514 Comex from your father or uncle, and you need money because you lost your job and you have to pay the bills, a collector shop will buy it from you for 10.000 euros, fine. The next day you will see your watch for sale in the shop window for 80.000 euros... who are the scammers ?

Where is the problem ? what is disturbing some people here ? I just talk about what I do, thats my private business, I don't scamm people on EBay, I hate EBay and these [censored] dealers selling faded GMT insert piece of chit for 200 usd

And don't tell about ethic or WTF the good and honnest fake watches forums people....

Period. (for me, as I am very busy)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One question though....what's the difference between RA and his "customers" and BK,Nightwatch,pbdad and so on?

Everyone could source the parts themselves and learn how to assemble them.

No, people pay modders like them to do it and they have a profit, which is more than natural and their absolutely their right.

How come WM9 watches go for around $900-1000 even though the did cost around $500-600 a couple of years ago?

It's just supply and demand, nothing else.

You seem to forget, there are people out there not interested in watchmaking, part sourcing and stuff.

But maybe these people are happy to get a nice 95% accurate Franken for a price they can afford....

As long as everyone who is involved knows what is beeing sold, I don't see anything wrong or frowned upon.