When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Q&A: Why do our A7750s need a service?

Rolexman

It's too bad they can't get this aspect of producing these Asian 7750's right... They've gone 95% of the way with the production and design, as the movements are fairly good. They just need proper lubrication and sterile cleanliness... But, there's no financial incentive to get this part of it right. :(

What is RWI? :lol: The forum which doesn't have the two largest dealers on the forums.

You know I would not send RWG members over there if a 7750 repair smith was available in North America without personal recommendations from current clients.

You understand why I can not send someone I don't know, with 39 posts to the Zigmeister, right?

My PAM187 is on its way...already shopping around for a gen 7753 to throw in it. There are some on ebay, but if anyone has one they wanna part with...

I hope you already have a gen dial or an old school eta 7753 rep dial ready on the side, because the new A7753-based 187 dial and hands will not fit the eta 7753 movt.

Just in case you weren't already aware of the above before you put money into an eta 7753 movt.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Who else besides the Zig does service on these 7750's I tried one from another site and he didn't get it right and I sent it back three times. Ended up selling it for cheap while it was not working. Waiting to find out how that buyer made out with fixing it himself. I couldn't do it.

If you can't get it serviced it is just a disposable, like a Bic razor.

Who else besides the Zig does service on these 7750's I tried one from another site and he didn't get it right and I sent it back three times.

Who did you send it out to? That would give Forum members here a warning ....

• 4 weeks later...

"The question has some aspects, such as if you wait, how likely is it that the movement will need funadamental repair, and how likely is it that a simple service will solve the problem?"

One way to judge the condition of a movement is consistency...

Does it lose or gain close to the same amount every 3 or 4 days?

Is the running reserve about the same when worn daily?

Does it keep close to the same time running face down as face up or crown right and left overnight? Irregular running in one or more positions might be dry balance jewel(s), hairspring dragging etc.

If you can see the movement, does it have dirt specks or oil dots like the one in the picture? If yes...it probably needs service.

There are a lot of parts in a 7750 and they seem to have a higher than average failure rate (Asian models), plus they are a pain to work on so to avoid $urprise$, take this all into consideration when buying a watch with one in it.

I stay away from them because...

I do not need a chronograph (but they are cool).

I do not like to work on chronographs.

Any A7750 needing parts usually means you need a donor movement.

The ST19 beats the A7750 and a $35 Citizen OS20 or ISA 8161 beats them both (imho).

Summed up...

At my age, life is too short to screw with mechanical chronographs. :animal_rooster:

Time to 'fess up...if they came out with quartz chronographs that had running seconds and center timer hands that went tickie, tickie, tickie instead of whack! whack! whack!...would you still want a mechanical chronograph? :D

I don´t know nothing really about A7750/ 7753 but I am quite sure, that lot of movement problems are caused by owner also.

Ok not at all oiled or over oiled movement, no QC- dust etc. inside, that is a problem and this is never changing if we are talking about replicas probably.

I am not sure but I´d avoid any kind of stress for my mechanical movement. No playing golf or driving Harley( vibration, shock) etc.watch on my wrist. No clapping hands etc. if I use rep watch with mechanical movement inside. Maybe I am too paranoid? :bangin: What kind of activities I shall avoid with mechanical watch on my wrist?

Every watch will take some amount of shocks, until it can't any more. Why take a risk`s if we are talking about replica movement. Buy a quartz if your lifestyle is very " active".

Edited by sul