When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My modded MBK 1680 *new pics*

dutchguy2

I always loved the vintage Rolex Submarine models. But I was never sure what model I liked the most and wanted to add to the collection. After a lot of thoughts and research I decided to go for the 1680. It appeals the most to me. Since I don't like the yellowish/brown/orange, very fake looking lume on most available and wanting to be sure to exchange gen parts it had to be a MBK/MBW. Not knowing then that it was not assured getting the newer MBW 1680 was a guarantee that gen parts would fit.

Only knowing of Narikaa to source one for me, I asked him and he succeeded. It was a pleasure dealing with him. It took a long time but that was just me picking out a bad time ordering one.

I asked FxrAndy to help me mod the 1680. His suggestion was:

- Shave the inside of the CGs a little front and rear.

- Drill the lugs, end links and bracelet and fit gen spring bars

- Lume the dial and hands light Ivory

- A new pearl for the insert

I could not agree more and he did an excellent job. Unfortunately the pearl was damaged during transport back to me. I was able to restore it with some 5 min epoxy.

I was pretty happy with the overall result but....... I still had an itch, install a Clark 127 crystal. The date magnification on the stock crystal was not so great. And we all know that this is one of the great features the 1680 has.

Well it happen that a day later my 127 Clark crystal arrived. After installation, which was a direct fit of the crystal on the rehaut. I only had to shave a little down from the outside of the crystal to get the retaining ring fit.

During inspection of the result the worst thing happened.............. the watch head fell down on a concrete floor :cry2: . Guess what, direct on the newly installed date mag of the crystal. So I spent the whole afternoon to polish it out. The only way you can see it now is watching the date, there is a light distortion on the left side. Well lets say it adds character to the watch being vintage and so... 8)

Long story short, here is the result:

foto253.jpg

foto256.jpg

foto257.jpg

foto255.jpg

foto254.jpg

foto258.jpg

Here is a gen:

gen16801.jpg

Here is mine:

foto260.jpg

I would like to thank Narikaa, FxrAndy and Cats for making this possible.

great watch !

the crystal sits a little high - i would check if its sits firm.

the CGs could use a good shave on the inside and outside - and you definitely want to install a new insert - then its perfect - imho ;)

great watch !

the crystal sits a little high - i would check if its sits firm.

the CGs could use a good shave on the inside and outside - and you definitely want to install a new insert - then its perfect - imho ;)

Thanks for your comment.

I've checked it with a gen and to me it seems to be OK on both.

Gen:

gen1680achterkant.jpg

Mine:

foto262.jpg

OK, left one is still a little to thick.

Gen:

gen1680profiel.jpg

Mine:

foto261.jpg

Looks like the same height to me.

You are absolutely right about the insert.

on the last pic the crystal sits better - maybe just the pictures ;)

its good that your CGs still have the V-shape on the back - a lot of them are done with a Dremel+cutting wheel - BAM - and the case is ruined :)

its all personal taste here - seeing you last pic i would not shave any-more - looks nearly like 2 different watches ...

but usually the MBW-cases need a lot of shaving on the outside of the CGs too - even if someone likes the NOS look.

cheers,

Frank

on the last pic the crystal sits better - maybe just the pictures ;)

its good that your CGs still have the V-shape on the back - a lot of them are done with a Dremel+cutting wheel - BAM - and the case is ruined :)

its all personal taste here - seeing you last pic i would not shave any-more - looks nearly like 2 different watches ...

but usually the MBW-cases need a lot of shaving on the outside of the CGs too - even if someone likes the NOS look.

cheers,

Frank

Hey Frank, it is most likely due to no photograph skills and only a iPhone on my side.

But thanks for the comments, they are highly appriciated.

I did not like the look of the bezel insert. The pearl was to small and the quality of the insert is not very good. So I thought I would give it a try to vintagize it a bit and make myself a new pearl.

This is the result:

foto263.jpg

foto264.jpg

foto266.jpg

Thanks for looking.