When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Many Watches Do You Travel With?

section8

Usually 5 or 6 gen's and 2 or 3 dozen reps.....I never know what mood I'l be in....I have beern on a 6 week trip as we speak, and have only worn 6 or 7 of the 30 or more watches I'm carrying....I've fallen in love with a Pam 192 Titanium on a strap lately, and it's my daily wear these days.....But I'm awaiting a Sub from TTK that'll probably change my life for a week or two!!...Reps make variety practical, and that's... "a good thing"... :):):)

I can relate to this man... sadly my bank account and real life cannot.

I think I own about 15 watches total... 6 gen... 9 rep... and I love each one *almost* equally.

For example, imagine having US-customs insist that the 2 Rolexes in your bag are genuine, that you purchased them on your trip, and that they want to charge you 10% duty on the retail price of say... $5000??

Two problems with the above. The first is that you run a bigger risk than duty when bringing two Rollies into the USA. According the US customs page, two or more Rollies is a voilation of the Rolex trademark. You can lose them both. Secondly, the duty is not 10%. The last Rolex I brought back (purchased overseas) cost me less than $75 duty on a $4,000 watch.

I have a home in the USA and one in China. When I travel into the USA, I bring a copy of the purchase reciepts plus any duty receipts (for those watches purchased outside the USA) for the watches I carry. I'm not bold enough to bring both my Rolex watches at the same time (even with purchase and duty receipts).

Well, I only started getting back into watches around November/December last year...

So for the trips I've gone on, I always take a Timex that I can use in a sauna/jacuzzi/swimming.

Copenhagen, Denmark (Dec/Jan 2006) - PT YachtMaster

Vilnius, Lithuania (July 2006) - Silix PAM036 and MBW Two Tone Silver Serti Submariner

Stockholm, Sweden (October 2006) - Silix PAM036, EL PAM092 (for fitmic) and gen. titanium Omega SMP Chrono.

No problems anywhere, though they had a look at them as I took them off for the x-ray machine in Lithuania. Nothing was said, but they checked my TDK CD case with built-in speaker, but it was ok in the end.

I usually go wearing a watch on each wrist, and the timex (on the last two trips) was in the suitcase. I also take around 5 watch straps for the PAM, but put the screw drivers in the suitcase. My view is if I lose the suitcase at least I havent lost the watches or the straps.

This week, coming back from Sweden, I found that the handle on the suitcase was broken - the baggage handlers probably threw it on and broke it in the process :( It was not convenient getting back home on the train with the suitcase in that condition.