When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to source a decent Sea-Dweller 16600 bracelet?

ImWatchingYOU

I have a SSD V2, and the bracelet has started to bug me. For two reasons:

1. The spring bars are not in straight, so it's a pain in the ass to remove the bracelet and I'm afraid to loose the watch (+ it doesent look nice underneath)

2. The cutouts for the spring bars are made really badly. They are all different shape/size

P1030587small.jpg

P1030589small.jpg

and compared to the GEN:

IMG_0057.JPG

+1 I agree... The springbars may be bent so they are making the correct contact into the lugholes... Think about this rationally for a second:

If you tug on the bracelet, do the springbars pop out, causing the bracelet to come away from the watch head? If the answer is yes, you're likely [censored] out of luck, and your only real option would be to permanantly swap the bracelet for an aftermarket strap, which will not be an issue with alignment of the spring bars... If the answer is no, then consider these points:

How often do you actually need to remove the bracelet?

How often do you take your watch off to sit and stare at the cutouts?

Is it really worth considering a new bracelet to solve what could be an issue with the lug holes? :whistling::drinks:

Good points! Your springbars aren't bent that badly in the first place, I've seen much worse.

You might pick up a pair of late model (aftermarket) 2mm springbars for the no lughole sub/SDs and see if jmb couldn't drill your bracelet ends and enlarge your lughole holes. But check with jmb first if you're interested in the upgrade.

The bracelet sits firmly on the watch, and does not come off whatsoever. What bugs me that it looks really bad underneath, and as I wish to make some mods on the watch, I would like it to look good.

Is a submariner bracelet the same as the sea-dweller one?

Also as by the serial number, this watch should be a SSD v2, and I got the watch second hand, I think that maybe the previous owner swapped the bracelets?

Edited by ImWatchingYOU

I need to take things a bit out of sequence...

Is a submariner bracelet the same as the sea-dweller one?

As far as I understand, yes, it is the same bracelet (should have solid endlinks, happy for any experts to give a different answer :) )

I think that maybe the previous owner swapped the bracelets?

Only the previous owner can answer that question for you...

What bugs me that it looks really bad underneath, and as I wish to make some mods on the watch, I would like it to look good.

As above, how often would you actually take the watch off to look at the back? I totally understand that you want to do a good project, but, that is one area you could afford to leave 'as is...' for an easy project :good:

My one suggestion, would be to try installing a slightly older (or cheaper) bracelet with hollow endlinks. That might allow for the bars to 'sit skewed' through the link, rather than having to flex at the tips. Only problem with that, is I suspect that the bracelet you need, will likely have a clasp with gibberish spelling on it, rather than accurate spellings, and you would be swapping one flaw for another... Another option, might be to use a set of needle files to do a little cosmetic work on the cutaways, just to even their appearance :)

I hadn't thought of the non open lug 2 mm bars, but a good fix.

But if your going to have the bracelet drilled..might as well do the whole thing and have your lugholes drilled.. and changing to 2 mm bars.

This is mine

:)

ebe00c80.jpg

0d70c124.jpg