When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chrono Poll - Do You Use It?

fotoman

Chrono - Use or Lose  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the chrono on your chrono watches?

• Nope, never even tried - which button is it? i heard if you do it - it can make you go blind
    • Just try it out to see if it works when i get the watch - after that collects dust
    • i do try it out, and will occassionally show it to a friend so they see it works
    • I use the chrono for its real purpose, i track time. I also like (briefs) tighty whities
    • I use the chrono for its real purpose, i track time. I also like Boxers - gotta give the boys some breathing room
    • I use the chrono for its real purpose, and I think this poll is gender biased - men are pigs -
    • I leave it running all the time so the long hand looks like a sweeping seconds - it just looks cool that way

I do use the Chronograph (stopwatch) function when I give a talk or the like :) ..Im a nerd :3a:

BTW I have never liked the termed "Chrono" it is inaccurate and should be avoided at all cost :yeah:

The chronograph was invented by a Frenchman, named Rieussec, back in 1821. Literally, this was the only timepiece that bore the name Chronograph rightly. It actually wrote on the dial with a small pen attached to the index. The length of the arc of the circle displayed the time that had passed. The index was fixed while the dial turned. The Greek words chronos and graph stand for resp. time and writing. Chronoscope would be a more accurate name for chronographs, since there is no real "writing" involved anymore. In 1822, Rieussec was granted a patent for his invention.

The history of the chronograph

Before we start, a word about terminology: Strictly speaking, all "chronographs" today are "chronoscopes" - they show the elapsed time, but they do not record it (Greek chronos = "time" and graphô = "I write"). The word "chronograph," however, has become the generally used term and it would be a silly know-all attitude to use anything else.

Per definition, a chronograph is a chronometric (time-measuring) device which contains a mechanism that allows to stop at least one hand to facilitate reading of the elapsed time.

Around 1720, the English watchmaker Graham built the first clock which allowed to measure the duration of an event - theoretically, with 1/16 second accuracy! Graham is therefore known as the "Father of the Chronograph" today.

In Paris, Rieussec built a clock in 1822 that was a real "chronograph" which wrote the elapsed time on the dial as a series of ink dots.

The "chronographe (à) rattrapante," the split-second chronograph, was invented by the Austrian Winnerl (the literature is rather unanimous about that; I only mention this because someone from Perrelet once told me that it was invented by Perrelet ...). The exact date is not known; both 1811 and 1831 are found in the literature.

In 1862, Adolphe Nicole developed the first chronograph whose hand could be set back to zero, and in 1883, the first chronograph with the nowadays typical twin pusher design appeared.

Interesting poll choices there my man... Personally Chrono's just look a bit to "cluttered" to me... I have only just recently found chrono's that appeal to me visually at all... the Tag Link and the IWC pilot chrono... I've got a *shudder* quartz Fossil PVD finish chrono that I picked up [censored] cheap NIB... I couldn't figure out the buttons to save my life... after reading here I understand now.. but that quartz movement seems to have about a 1/2 second delay between when a button is pushed and when it functions...I'll be snagging the Tag Link here in a week or so... hopefully that one runs a bit better and is more responsive (also crossing fingers for the 7750 movement) :blink:

I occasionally use the chrono on my 192 to time my commute as well Unfortunately, my commute is not on my mountain bike! It used to be, but not for the last 5 years! I'm jealous Nanuq! Otherwise, I hardly use the chrono function. Just like to check it from time-to-time to make sure it's still working.

I have a running watch that has a chrono I use when I run. I almost never wear my reps when running.

Climb on.

Nanuq,

I do love it! Fat tires and disc brakes! And you have a great mountain view when you ride to work! I'm green with envy. I have an old Specialized FS Extreme. It's not great for commuting, but it's a tank--rolls right over everything in it's path. I think the "Extreme" refers to the extreme green color as it's brighter than your green machine!

Nice ride. Keep it upright!

Easier said than done... we have ice on the roads this morning! And nobody makes 29" studs yet...

Back to the crusty old Marin for ice riding? Notice the timer on the handlebars... does that count as a chrono?

133931-18578.jpg

That looks freaking awesome - I want to ride there - :) can you believe my wife has only seen snow twice - grew up in florida

:)

ps - i am still trying to figure out what the hell to do with my bently gt and all those numbers that turn with the bezel :)

Hey Indy, did you see the photos of my new ride? I just got it last weekend and it is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET! You'd love it.

134433-18469.jpg

Har du kjøpt en Norsk sykkel eller Robert?

you should know that KONA translates to WIFE in Norwegian :bleh: from your description it seems you ride her (kona) hard...btw its time to prepare for the lutefisk and the akevit and the rakfisk soon :whistling:

I do use the Chronograph (stopwatch) function when I give a talk or the like :) ..Im a nerd :3a:

BTW I have never liked the termed "Chrono" it is inaccurate and should be avoided at all cost :yeah:

The chronograph was invented by a Frenchman, named Rieussec, back in 1821. Literally, this was the only timepiece that bore the name Chronograph rightly. It actually wrote on the dial with a small pen attached to the index. The length of the arc of the circle displayed the time that had passed. The index was fixed while the dial turned. The Greek words chronos and graph stand for resp. time and writing. Chronoscope would be a more accurate name for chronographs, since there is no real "writing" involved anymore. In 1822, Rieussec was granted a patent for his invention.

The history of the chronograph

Before we start, a word about terminology: Strictly speaking, all "chronographs" today are "chronoscopes" - they show the elapsed time, but they do not record it (Greek chronos = "time" and graphô = "I write"). The word "chronograph," however, has become the generally used term and it would be a silly know-all attitude to use anything else.

Per definition, a chronograph is a chronometric (time-measuring) device which contains a mechanism that allows to stop at least one hand to facilitate reading of the elapsed time.

Around 1720, the English watchmaker Graham built the first clock which allowed to measure the duration of an event - theoretically, with 1/16 second accuracy! Graham is therefore known as the "Father of the Chronograph" today.

In Paris, Rieussec built a clock in 1822 that was a real "chronograph" which wrote the elapsed time on the dial as a series of ink dots.

The "chronographe (à) rattrapante," the split-second chronograph, was invented by the Austrian Winnerl (the literature is rather unanimous about that; I only mention this because someone from Perrelet once told me that it was invented by Perrelet ...). The exact date is not known; both 1811 and 1831 are found in the literature.

In 1862, Adolphe Nicole developed the first chronograph whose hand could be set back to zero, and in 1883, the first chronograph with the nowadays typical twin pusher design appeared.

A+ Post - thanks Gunnar!

I use my chronographs usually during presentations to keep me on/under time.

So does that mean that it's not a Telegraph machine if it's the kind that just beeps or flashes but rather a telescope? Because I would feel like an idiot if I went star gazing and brought a telegraph by accident... :black_eye:

I have used all the chronos on my watches to time things like how long it takes to get to work. Or a plane journey, or how long a car is parked for example. Not really necessary but I like having it functioning and it has come in useful a few times. :D