When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello from the UK

Hi, new to the forum and have to say from only the short time reading: boy is there a lot to learn. I originally thought buying a reasonable rep would be as simple as a quick bit of googling and choosing one of the first sites listed. Thanks to stumbling on this place, that was the first noob mistake dealt with without disappointment and wasting any money.

Next, reading up on the scams and scam-sites; then about the different quality movements and what you can expect to pay for something alright. After that, finding there are people that collect these things and trade them - often after making them even better, sometimes more or less replacing all the replica parts with genuine (think I'm right in calling this a franken). Drooling over some of the member trades listed. Then finding the 'recommended' dealer section...

I've dipped my toe in the water with a couple of low-end trial pieces from Silix in the hope I find a rep style and model I want to invest more effort (and $) in. Something really nice that I'll be pleased with hopefully. Maybe I'll find that someone else has a similar taste and has improved theirs but wants to move it on...

Anyhow, hello. And thanks for the help so far. This is hopefully the start of something fun.

Edited by Tomsk

welcome to the game ;) now cut up your credit card while you still have the chance!

I was about to say the same thing Plaifender, Tomsk you are in deep deep *beep* *beep* *beep* now, better put on a lifepreserver while you have a chance. :victory:

Big welcome to the board.

Edited by MSK1974

• 1 month later...

Hi Tomsk and everyone else,

I am a fellow noob from the U.K. and I'm in a similar position to you. I've seen RWG for a while but not bothered to register thinking it was 'just' a forum. In that time I have ordered two really bad Tag & Breitling watches from a Chinese e-tailer whose site has now disappeared. They arrived and they looked like toys - 200USD down the pan but gifted them to my little bro. Then I got a pair of Panerai's from a seller on Aliexpress. Nicer looking watches (shiny SS finish was a little toy-like) but both the automatic and the GMT mechanisms have played up. Then bought and sold a few Parnis homages on Fleabay (did all right on reselling them) and a buyer suggested I look at RWG again. Boy am I glad I took the time to register - I feel like I have been flying solo until now.

I'm really now looking for a nice Rolex rep - nothing too fancy as the only eye it has to please is my own and most the of the Rolex reps round here look afsolutely fantastic imho. I just want something that does not look/feel like a toy. I'm thinking of starting down the Silix route as a starting point. Their web site has a nice 40mm Explorer available in asian or ETA mechanism flavours and the pictures look really nice.

My dream watch is the Breitling Aerospace titanium range. Second hand Gens sell for over 1000GBP still for a quartz watch made in 1994. Wish I'd blown my first pay packet on one back then...

I'd be v interested to hear how you get on with your Silix order when it arrives.

BW

Ninjagaiden

I'm really now looking for a nice Rolex rep - nothing too fancy as the only eye it has to please is my own and most the of the Rolex reps round here look afsolutely fantastic imho. I just want something that does not look/feel like a toy.

OK .. do you mean a vintage rolex or a newer model? Just to warn you, vintage rolex watches were meant to be working watches, not heavy fashion pieces .. so they ARE light and not very solid feeling. Just so you know.

A big heavy Rolex would be a more modern GMT IIc or a SeaDweller Deepsea ... Also chunky is the Omega Planet Ocean 45.5mm size ... we call the replica the UPO.

Hi Ninjagaiden - I've had a good experience from start to finish so far overall. Have continued to research and learn what to look in a good rep from here, and am so pleased I found this community before making rash decisions on poor quality or scam purchases. One minor query with the dealer about one of the two watches before posting the promised proper review and wristies - feel free to PM me in the meantime.

As mentioned, the purchase was more about the experience (which as a noob was quite exciting) than the actual watches, and I was surprised and pleased to get QC pics/dialogue given the price point of each. When finally shipped, arrived really well packaged and in good time - good experience overall.

Brakes on for a little while now as I decide what to go for next and from where (probably a 42mm PO next, my wrist couldn't handle the UPO JKay mentions). But so many catch my eye...

Edited by Tomsk

OK .. do you mean a vintage rolex or a newer model? Just to warn you, vintage rolex watches were meant to be working watches, not heavy fashion pieces .. so they ARE light and not very solid feeling. Just so you know.

A big heavy Rolex would be a more modern GMT IIc or a SeaDweller Deepsea ... Also chunky is the Omega Planet Ocean 45.5mm size ... we call the replica the UPO.

Thanks for your advice Jkay

I like the newer ones : something with nice clean timeless lines and not too much 'bling'. Silix and perfect-clones have a nice Rep of the Explorer II 16570 white dial that is just lovely at the $200 mark especially as the GMT hand actually works. I actually prefer the Silix version because the ROLEX engraving on the rehaut just doesn't look right on the perfect-clones one. I'm going to gather a little more info from people ordering from Silix-prime. Am I right in thinking that these guys will send out real pictures of your actual watch as quality control before shipping?

As far as the UPO goes I have a Gen Seamaster already so I kind of have that sub look covered.

Oh one last thing - I can't seem to find the noob link that goes through all the abbreviations used on RWG as it goes to an invalid page. Any clues where to look?

Hi Ninjagaiden - I've had a good experience from start to finish so far overall. Have continued to research and learn what to look in a good rep from here, and am so pleased I found this community before making rash decisions on poor quality or scam purchases. One minor query with the dealer about one of the two watches before posting the promised proper review and wristies - feel free to PM me in the meantime.

As mentioned, the purchase was more about the experience (which as a noob was quite exciting) than the actual watches, and I was surprised and pleased to get QC pics/dialogue given the price point of each. When finally shipped, arrived really well packaged and in good time - good experience overall.

Brakes on for a little while now as I decide what to go for next and from where (probably a 42mm PO next, my wrist couldn't handle the UPO JKay mentions). But so many catch my eye...

Tomsk,

Thanks for the info. Mind if I ask which watches you chose for your first purchase?

• 2 years later...