When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

explorer 1 with ETA 2836 or 2824

daytona01

I searched forum for the difference btw ETA 2836 and 2824 and this is what I found.

2824 - 0.5mm thinner/designed to be "date"

2936 - 0.5mm thicker/designed to be "day date"

Anyways,

Josh and Andrew sell explorer 1 with 2836 movement

Angus sells explorer 1 with 2824 movement.

[i'm taking about old explorer 1 (36mm)]

Josh and Andrew got exactly same price and "exactly same pics (idk what does that supposed to mean)"

and Angus got about 30-40 lower price with 2824.

Does anyone know difference ???

are they having same case but the moves??

p.s sry I didn't give u guys links .. RWG won't let me have links until I post 5 posts...

Edited by daytona01

• 1 year later...

I use the 2824 cases to build mine. In addition to being a tad thinner they allow a higher crown height which is much closer to the gen position than the 2836 case.

2824 case:

2824%20case.jpg

2836 Case:

2836%20case.jpg

JMB, do you mean that you use the 2824 Explorer I from Angus specifically as a starting point for your builds? Or is there another 2824 case, and if so, from where? I notice that the pics you have look like vintage 1016s rather than 114270s. The crown position on the 2824 one you posted looks perfect to my untrained eye, do you agree? I was definitely concerned about the crown being too low on the 114270s with the 2836-2 and it looks like you have confirmed my suspicions. Is it fair to say that as a general proposition the 2836-2 will result in a lower stem position than a 2824-2 will? Or am I missing some other part of the equation?

oo1

Here is your answer for which movement to use. The position of the stem in the case tube on the 2824 is a touch higher than the 2836. I know this because I had both movements side by side, and was using a gen case with both movements assembled and new stems in each, when I put the 2824 in th case the stem was dead center of the case tube, when I put the 2836 in the case the stem was towards the bottom of the case tube, could not use it in the gen case without raising the bottom of the rehaut. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Your welcome. I forgot to mention the height of the canon piñon. It doesn't matter if you use a date disc or not, the dial placement is the same. You can choose 3 different canon piñon heights to get the clearance of the sweep second to the bottom of the crystal. I love doing these builds, it's like Forrest Gump said, life is like abox of chocolate , you never know what you going to get, doing these builds, you never know what's going to fit. Lol

• 1 month later...