When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Care and feeding of 7750

I'm about to order a watch that has an Asia Valjoux 7750 movement. I've never had one of these and I know nothing about them so I'm hoping I can get some advice.

Is it generally the case that the chronometer works with these? Push one button to start/stop and the other to reset?

I've heard they need servicing to keep them healthy. How important is this and how often should it be done?

If you don't wear it for a while will it start going again if you give it a few shakes then wear it?

Are they a reasonably reliable and accurate movement?

Anything I should know before I buy?

Any comments welcome.

• Like 1

What rolexman says is true but to be a little kinder to a new member... There is really so much info about on it that it would be impossible to summarize in one post. A really good place to start your reading is down in the watchmaking tech part of the forum. Look for The Zigmeister's posts. :)

The only nutshell i can give is my own experience with them... They're great!. To me the 7750's have been more reliable and keep better time than the 28XX movements (2336, 2824, 2892 etc).

Don't go nuts with the chrono feature. Don't change the date between 10pm and 2am (even with gen swiss watches with high end 7750s). Don't hand wind them.

Have it serviced if it's a keeper. A service should be guaranteed for 6-12 months and should be good to keep the watch ticking for about 5 years.

Most of all dont worry too much about them. Or surly forum posts. Just enjoy. It's why we're here :)

What rolexman says is true but to be a little kinder to a new member... There is really so much info about on it that it would be impossible to summarize in one post. A really good place to start your reading is down in the watchmaking tech part of the forum. Look for The Zigmeister's posts. :)

The only nutshell i can give is my own experience with them... They're great!. To me the 7750's have been more reliable and keep better time than the 28XX movements (2336, 2824, 2892 etc).

Don't go nuts with the chrono feature. Don't change the date between 10pm and 2am (even with gen swiss watches with high end 7750s). Don't hand wind them.

Have it serviced if it's a keeper. A service should be guaranteed for 6-12 months and should be good to keep the watch ticking for about 5 years.

Most of all dont worry too much about them. Or surly forum posts. Just enjoy. It's why we're here :)

Thanks, that pretty much answers my questions. I'll go looking.

No, I don't worry about surly posts, they're a great way to discover the people who can safely be ignored. :)

I'm going to buy one of the cheaper 7750 skyland avengers and see how it goes. If it stops it will be a good opportunity to get into it with my new toolkit. :)

Love your enthusiasm about breaking out the "new toolkit", but I will caution you that the 7750 is not for the faint of heart :D I'd start off with a 6497 hand wind if you want something to practice on.

As for the 7750 info, check out Ziggy's post about it here

I also did a pictorial tear down when I fixed a friends keyless works which you can find here

P.S. I liked your post in the "I' miss this hobby"

Love your enthusiasm about breaking out the "new toolkit", but I will caution you that the 7750 is not for the faint of heart :D I'd start off with a 6497 hand wind if you want something to practice on.

True, probably not the best place to start but if the cheapy I get turns out to be crap I don't mind jumping into the deep end. I'm pretty good with mechanical things. I'll look out for a cheap 6497 though.

As for the 7750 info, check out The Zigmeister's post about it here

I also did a pictorial tear down when I fixed a friends keyless works which you can find here

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely be reading that.

P.S. I liked your post in the "I' miss this hobby"

Thanks again.

True, probably not the best place to start but if the cheapy I get turns out to be crap I don't mind jumping into the deep end. I'm pretty good with mechanical things. I'll look out for a cheap 6497 though.

Check out this one here on fleabay. I bought one of these to practice on. It's a good price and a good movement too!

What rolexman says is true but to be a little kinder to a new member...

Why? It's just one of the hundreds that join each month just to take take take and take some more from this forum and when they get what they want you never hear from them again. These sort of members and their questions 'who's got the best sub', 'which movement is the most accurate', 'who can service my movement' are the exact members that make me say 'I miss this hobby'. They are doing nothing wrong and I know it probably has more to do with me than them but I'm getting tired of it! From almost 9 out of 10 posts I make to help members (also via PM) I never hear something back. No quick 'thanks' nothing. Once again nothing personal Baryonic as you are actively participating in this thread. I'm just a little bitter at the moment...

Why?

I see your point and what you're talking about bugs me too but i'm not jaded yet. So i share info where i can because i appreciated it when it was shared with me.

Truth is, for members like me - who arent part of "the old guard" a term that older members love to throw about to the exclusion of members like myself and newer (like bayronic there) - threads like "i miss this hobby" often come off elitist. Excluding newer members and in essence; doing more harm than good to the very hobby that the thread itself is lamenting.

Times change. So does the active membership. Forums are for sharing info.

Btw, Bayronic made the best post in that thread.

Why? It's just one of the hundreds that join each month just to take take take and take some more from this forum and when they get what they want you never hear from them again. These sort of members and their questions 'who's got the best sub', 'which movement is the most accurate', 'who can service my movement' are the exact members that make me say 'I miss this hobby'. They are doing nothing wrong and I know it probably has more to do with me than them but I'm getting tired of it! From almost 9 out of 10 posts I make to help members (also via PM) I never hear something back. No quick 'thanks' nothing. Once again nothing personal Baryonic as you are actively participating in this thread. I'm just a little bitter at the moment...

This attitude is not very freindly, welcoming or helpful.

There is no need for you to respond to any posts here. If you do not feel like providing a constructive answer, just move on. Answering like this puts new members off for no good reason.

When you do have something constructive to say, that is great. And thankfully you often do.

But this time you are plain wrong.

I can understand that people get tired of answering the same old questions again and again and again, I run a successful forum, I've participated in many others, I know how it is. Sometimes I get a little jaded myself however, for every ungrateful grab and go type out there described by Rolexman there is a genuine person looking for answers. These are the newcomers that will keep the forum rolling along.

The search feature, while it can be very useful, is not always good at getting the answers you want. I've done some searches here, (and a lot of reading), sometimes I've found what I wanted, sometimes the info is out of date and effectively useless and sometimes nothing turns up at all.

So, it works both ways, you soon get to know who is genuine and maybe a contributor and who the snatch and grab types are.

In my defence I've tried to contribute where I can and I'm also a paying member here.

However, the thread has drifted a little off course so I won't bore you with any more of my drivel. I think I've got the info I need for now.

BTW, got hold of an interesting book called 'Practical Watch Repairing' by Donald De Carle. Looks like it might make interesting reading and probably handy when I do start taking things apart.

BTW, got hold of an interesting book called 'Practical Watch Repairing' by Donald De Carle. Looks like it might make interesting reading and probably handy when I do start taking things apart.

Hey BM.. (can I call you that? :whistling: ) That's a topic worth it's own thread for us newbies. I'd really appreciate book recommendations on that topic.

Hey BM.. (can I call you that? :whistling: ) That's a topic worth it's own thread for us newbies. I'd really appreciate book recommendations on that topic.

The edition I have is from (I think) 1996 so a bit dated. I believe there is a much updated edition from 2008. I plan to get hold of that. You can find them on Amazon among other places.

This forum has a PDF of the classic watch repair handbook already online.

Go to this thread and look at the BOTTOM, where I'd posted it to Google Docs. The original link at the top of the thread has expired.

Go to Google Here

That looks like another good one. Downloaded, thanks.