When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 Franken Project Question

donerix

Thanks Freddy for clearing that up:

Unfortunately - Instead of solving the movement issue I dug myself a deeper 6542-hole when I visited a monthly flea market in the outskirts of Munich today:

It was another day of rain, but I needed to get out of the house, so I looked in the weekend newspaper for something to do and found an ad for a monthly flea market not too far away from where I was that was gonna happen "rain or shine".

I love wandering around flea markets so I hoped in my rental and went there. Due to the rain not many visitors attended and therefore the vendors weren't exactly in a great mood.

Getting wet within minutes I started wandering down the first row of stands which held some nice old German antiques, but of course I was looking out for those flat cases with see-thru tops that often hold jewelry and WATCHES :). A few minutes later I see a van with an awning in the front and went - by pure instinct - for the covered area to hide from the rain. There was all kind of stuff including uniforms, swords, DVDs... and one of those cases. One customer was checking out the stuff in the case so I could only get a quick look and saw nothing really interesting. Well there was something that looked like a steel DateJust case in the front right corner with a black dial in it.

The other customer took his time and I decided to move on, but here was nothing really exciting in the other stalls and the vendors started to give up and pack up their goods, so I started to head back to the car, but not without taking another look at that "DateJust". This time there was nobody else and I asked to see it,

What I saw was this:

6542D-1-2.jpg

I almost couldn't believe it, but yes it was a 6542 case with caseback, plexi, dial and crown. After a little negotiating I bought it for what I thought was very reasonable (less than what just a caseback alone sold for recently on ebay).

Here some more pics:

6542D-5-2.jpg

6542D-2-2.jpg

6542D-3-2.jpg

6542D-4-2.jpg

The case has been somewhat over-polished, but I don't mind.

The dial has no lume left whatsoever, so now the question is re-luming it or leave it untouched?

I would be interested if someone could tell me if this one of those 115 crystals (even if it is cracked). It seems a bit lower than the 116 and the upper edge is a lot rounder.

Do you think it is authentic? I think so, but I am open to any suggestions otherwise....

So now I need two movements - OUCH

need 2 movements LOL.

The case looks pretty damn good for an aftermarket freddy, even has a gen crown. The engravings in the caseback gave it away??? I'm not an expert in the gmt though.

The engravings aren't that bad either

RXGMT6542-04.jpg?1312760340753

1957 caseback

img.jpg

Edited by praetor

Freddy: could you explain why you think it's aftermarket?

Looking at the engravings on the caseback I thought the same at first, but then I saw other gen pics (like the one from Praetor above) that look exactly the same as mine.

If it is aftermarket I have to say that it is very well made IMO and it looks spot on in comparison with the gen mid case I bought before.

Worst case that it is a very good aftermarket case it was still less than a Yuki, NDT or Phong :)

Handling it I would still say that it is either 60 years old or somebody from Freddy's caliber made it look that way.

What should I do with the dial?

Freddy: could you explain why you think it's aftermarket?

Dial

Dial lume does not just fall off. But I have seen aftermarket gmt dials made without lume. Big red flag.

T<25 indicates a service or aftermarket dial.

Case

Lug holes counter-sunk, which Rolex did not do (but alot of modders do).

New crown & (possibly) new crystal (which does not look gen).

Case looks overpolished, yet it lacks any corrosion/pitting. Odd. On the other hand, caseback looks new (no wear on the splines). Very odd.

The whole context of how/where it was found seems suspect &, finally, nothing about this strikes me as gen in my gut. :nea:

So the dial at VRF is actually a 1675?

No, based on the back of the dial, it's for a 6542, but it's a service dial which means it came out later. That would be sometime after 1963 when they started using tritium. Or it's an aftermarket dial. But based on the price, not according to the seller and no one's screaming over at VRM, so maybe it's OK.

Just my humble opinion, but DO NOT LUME THE DIAL!

..and installing a fake bracelet on that watch kinda makes me cringe, but hey, that's just me :)

If I were you, I would only replace the missing pieces with genuine parts; in the end, it will be well worth it. Buying fake stuff is only a waste of money.

Just my humble opinion, but DO NOT LUME THE DIAL!

..and installing a fake bracelet on that watch kinda makes me cringe, but hey, that's just me :)

If I were you, I would only replace the missing pieces with genuine parts; in the end, it will be well worth it. Buying fake stuff is only a waste of money.

I am thinking the same way regarding the dial....but if I change my mind who is the best lumer for the job

As for the bracelet: I wish I had a gen bracelet, but for now I would rather spend my money on a movement (hint!!!)

• 3 months later...