When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 Franken Project Question

donerix

I am looking for a movement for my gen 6542 case:

6542-genrep4-2.jpg

And while I know that Rolex used modified 1030 movements and then 1035, 1065 and 1066 I am not clear about the date and GMT function.

Will I be able to use a 1030 that was used in a no date no GMT version by adding these components?

It does look pretty straight forward to my untrained eye :)

Here a quick photo comparison of a plain 1030:

1030-plain.jpg

and one with GMT function:

1030-GMT.jpg

How is the availability of these parts?

Gentlemen your help is really appreciated.

There's a 1065 on eBay just now in Paris in perfect condition I think. If you're going Frankenstein you may as well bankrupt yourself in the process ...

Just saw it. Thanks for the tip. It's about what I figured it will cost and I think it is worth trying to get the best result :)

Freddy is your man on telling you about a mod/build, but I'd certainly snap up a complete movement if you can. Finding parts for the 50 year old 1030/1060 movts is about impossible.

There was a 1035 GMT movt on VRM last year for $1500- a bargain like that only comes around once in a lifetime.

LOL - just found a three year old thread from Freddy asking pretty much the same question:

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/84877-can-you-convert-a-1030-calibre-to-1035-gmt/

Shows you how far ahead of the game he is....

I am actually considering going straight for the 1065 to not have to deal with the conversion.

By taking the risk of somebody else buying it I am going to ask if some of the experts here (Freddy please :) ) could give me an opinion on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Vintage-Rolex-mouvement-1065-For-6541-6542-5508-6538-/180704110265?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2a12cde6b9#ht_500wt_1156

LOL - just found a three year old thread from Freddy asking pretty much the same question:

http://www.rwgforum....re-to-1035-gmt/

Shows you how far ahead of the game he is....

I am actually considering going straight for the 1065 to not have to deal with the conversion.

By taking the risk of somebody else buying it I am going to ask if some of the experts here (Freddy please :) ) could give me an opinion on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/V...9#ht_500wt_1156

Freddy certainly is way ahead of the game. :)

And it would certainly be better to get the 1065 straight, imho. Good luck buddy. :victory:

Donerix, you need to jump on that 1065- at $1200 BIN, you can't go wrong. Even though the guy says it's perfect, you'll still need to factor in $200-300 for a service. So you're still at $1500, a bargain, IMO! Plus you already have the case. You could end up with a great original franken for a great price.

Donerix, you need to jump on that 1065- at $1200 BIN, you can't go wrong. Even though the guy says it's perfect, you'll still need to factor in $200-300 for a service. So you're still at $1500, a bargain, IMO! Plus you already have the case. You could end up with a great original franken for a great price.

I agree, these are scarce, and even with a service that's a good price.

......and we have access to a watchsmith that's intimately familiar with 1030/1035/1060/1065 movements too, eh?

:whistling:

He brought mine back from the brink... highest possible recommendations!

A few tidbits from my gmt travels that may help -

You cannot convert a 1030 to a GMT, because its pillar lacks the channeling & screw holes to mount the date & gmt modules. Instead, pay whatever you have to pay for a decent, working 1036 or 1066 (these are 1030s with the date module & either is correct for a 6542 - the 1036 was used initially & the 1066 at the end of production). When I say working, I mean make sure the movement keeps reasonable time & the stem winds freely & sets time without *any* binding. This is VERY important as problems with any function on these movements are likely to require (expensive/rare) parts to rectify. I should add that most Rolex watchmakers will refuse to work on the gmt due to the rarity/expense of parts & the fact that the pros cannot spend the time required to source them.

Your biggest hurdle (assuming you are starting from a working 1036 or 1066 base), by far, will be locating the gmt components, especially, the key 24-hour (gmt) wheel & calendar ring (the links below discuss this). Unlike nearly all other components inside Rolex watches, these parts are unique (to the 6542) & were never used in any other watches. Because of this, they were made in limited numbers & only for a brief period of time. Add in the severe demand for these parts from an international cadre of well-heeled collectors & you have a nightmare scenario when it comes to availability.

If you have not already, you should read (in no particular order) this, this & this.

Eric - You can always just buy a 50s DJ, OP or some other model that has a 1036 & cannibalize the watch for its motor. That way, you get a few re-sellable parts in the deal to help mitigate your costs. Well, at least a tiny bit of your costs. :whistling:

But before you commit to buying anything, be aware that the remaining parts required for the conversion - if you can find them - could easily cost the same (or more) again. So think seriously as to whether you are prepared to spend $5k just to power your '42. If you do, you should only accept a gen (or repainted gen) dial, as I did with my Phase II '42. That way, if/when you decide to sell, you can legitimately describe it as a gen watch with a repainted dial (& aftermarket insert) & recoup some serious Joachimstalers.

I was thinking along the same lines, but I am just worried that I won't find the missing parts.

The 1065 GMT would need nothing, so maybe not a bad way to go and keep a few Joachimstalers (love that one BTW, being German and all...)

I am going to sleep over it now...

I do not believe Rolex ever made a gmt version of the 1065; only the 1036 & 1066. Also, be careful not to buy a 1036/1066 thinking it is a gmt only to find that it has no gmt functions. Rolex made both gmt & standard versions of both calibers & they are very difficult to tell apart without good, clear macros of the bottom (dial side) of the movement. Compare to my 1036gmt before hitting the buy button.

I do not believe Rolex ever made a gmt version of the 1065; only the 1036 & 1066. Also, be careful not to buy a 1036/1066 thinking it is a gmt only to find that it has no gmt functions. Rolex made both gmt & standard versions of both calibers & they are very difficult to tell apart without good, clear macros of the bottom (dial side) of the movement. Compare to my 1036gmt before hitting the buy button.

I am amazed as usual of your knowledge Freddy, but like donnerex..I expected you would know these answers. You are a great resource here and much appreciated. :)

Thanks again, Freddy. There was a moment last night when I was very close to get up and send that costly email :)

This is the movement in question (sorry no real pic of the front of the movement without dial):

NDT-1065F.jpg

NDT1065B.jpg

So you think this could just have the GMT hand on their but without function?

BTW - this is not the dial that would come with the movement. It's this one:

NDT-Dial6542gilt.jpg

Thanks again for the great advice

FWIW, I received an email from Jewelryandwatch- Phong, he has a 6542 for sale for $4500. 1030 movement, so the same question, is it a true GMT movement, or did it receive a Phong/Vietnamese mod?

http://jewelryandwatch.com/index1.html

Of course, as is the case, I'd figure most of the parts are aftermarket at that point.

NDT1065B.jpg

So you think this could just have the GMT hand on their but without function?

BTW - this is not the dial that would come with the movement. It's this one:

1st, I was mistaken. Rolex did make a 1065gmt (I found a pic of a known-gen 6542 in my archives with a 1065-signed bridge), so either is possible. I found this in 1 of my Rolex parts books, which both proves the existence of the 1065gmt, but also provides you with a roadmap to converting a standard 1065/1066 over to gmt form (note the printing on these balance cocks vs NDT's)

post-3175-0-26126800-1312471404.jpg

The 1065/1066 balance cock is what sets these apart from the earlier 1030/1035/1036 series

post-3175-0-35721000-1312470829.jpg

I do not know what NDt or Phong use to make their gmts function (based on what I have seen of their other work, I would guess they are 'custom-made' parts) &, of course, anything is possible with vintage Rolex, but the NDT movement looks like a franken - it has a 1035/1036 style cock (like my 1036gmt), but with a bridge signed '1065'. :g:

Freddy: Thanks for digging that up from your archives.

I am awaiting a pic of the front of the movement without dial and will post it when I get it.

PS: I could see that they used a 1036 balance [censored] to turn a 1065 in a 1065 GMT, but I guess I could live with it in the end as long as the movement functions properly