When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Took The Ingy To An Upscale Watch Botique Today...

tenacious_b

Well, having noticed that my caseback on my INGY was not screwed down all the way, I called a local upscale watch botique here in Austin, TX. I called ahead and they offered to do the work for free if I'd come in and have a look around, and consider making future watch purchases with their outfit. This whole experience could not have been more of a treat. My coworker, sporting an EL LV Sub (this shop does not carry Rolex, Panerai, or IWC, though they are pursuing Panerai) and I sporting my 2893 029 walked in to meet with the lady (Brooke) I had spoken with over the phone. I reached into my pocket and handed her my INGY, and she oohed and aahhhed about how nice it was, did I get it in Austin?, etc... She commented on my coworkers Rolex and my Pam, and I could just see the dollar signs spinning in her eyes.

Well, she got out a jaxa type case back opener and tried to open the INGY, and couldn't budge it (their technician, Dennis, is off on Wednesdays). So, I asked if I could give it a go...she protested momentarily, but the sales person in her won out and she urged me on, begging me to be careful. I have never used a jaxa before, and in my first attempt, it slid across the case back and left a scratch. Brooke gasped as though I had just ripped open my shirt and dropped my pants. She looked like she was going to cry, so I just shrugged and said "eh, it's just a watch." By now, several of the sales staff are standing around watching me take off the case back and remove the soft iron core, reset the spring, and re-attach the case back. I got it a full quarter turn tighter than when I went in, but it is still not flush with the case back. My coworker and I spent the rest of the time browsing the Omega's & Brietlings, and having our every whim catered to by Brooke. When we left, she gave us a couple of last month's issues of various watch magazines and her card. In fairness, I may just have to break down one day and buy a gen Breitling Steel Fish or an Omega PO...words cannot describe how beautiful these pieces are in person (I've never seen the reps either).

The point of all this is that I was reminded how fortunate we are that we have access to replicas of such a high quality that we can comfortably watlz into a AD, and have them remark on the quality and beauty of the piece, and not suspect for so much as a moment that it's not real.

I love our shared hobby, and I appreciate our honest dealers for making this possible. Hope you enjoyed the post as much as I enjoyed the trip.

A second vote here for "Birdman"... I've purchased from him a few times now and always have recieved the tools in a very short time...Most of his tools are very affordable and of good quality for the beginning watchsmith.

Ofrei is another source for very high quality tools, alot more expensive though.

Keep an eye on ebay, your local auction site or local classified sites or news papers. Old retiring watchmakers are often selling used gear at really good prices.

I've picked up loads of good professional gear for a fraction of the new price. Sometimes it needs a little work but most watchmakers take good care of their gear so usually its all in great condition.