When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Photograph cont.

praetor

So I've tried some new ways to photograph my watch (from previous thread).

This time, used a tripod, ambient sunlight, image stacking, and increased aperture.

One thing though.. There's a lot of noise... maybe too little lighting?

wm9 v2

editstacked.jpg

modded 1665 pics

Frontstacked.jpg

sidegen1.jpg

Crownside.jpg

hevalve.jpg

Looking good. And you're right... you need more light. And that red (that's reflecting from the bezel) is coming from your hand. Use a tripod or get rid of the red noise with PS lasso -> saturation option.

I use 4 lamps. One on the top (of the lightbox), one on the right, one on the left, one on the back (not absolutely necessary).

Change the height and angle of these lamps until you find a good balance. Good luck, you're doing fine!

1b.jpg

3.jpg

Good thing you didn't delete the EXIF data, otherwise we'll all be guessing what went wrong :)

I'm just going to check the first one:

editstacked.jpg

You shot at aperture f/16 with shutter speed at 0.8 sec, focal length 105mm with ISO 3200 in aperture mode.

First off: lower the ISO first. The lower the ISO the higher the quality. For macro shots, no higher than 200. Ceiling is 400, but that's pushing it.

Set the aperture lower, around 4.0-8.0. Since I don't know the lens you have, this is mostly the sweet spot of lenses where it is the sharpest.

NOTE: I said lower aperture, because you might be confused. The correct term is higher, because lower numbers mean higher openings. Higher opening of aperture = more light can pass through the lens.

Since you're using a tripod, shutter is not important-- unless you're trying to capture the lume, you set your camera to shutter mode and set it around 2 secs.

Goodluck and try again! You're almost there! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is all very interesting to me. I've never manually set my camera, so I have no idea what values that I'm shooting at. So, for grins, I pulled up one of my pics and looked at the EXIF data...

IMG_9486.jpg

Aperture: f/2.5

ISO: 400

Focal length: 50mm

Shutter: 1/40 sec.

I think I will try toying around with some of my settings to see what that nets me :)