When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jetsons And I Are Having A Convo About Modding....

lionsandtigers

and while i was writing my last message to him i thought that maybe, it would be helpful for some people here to read. this is not meant to insult or upset anyone, just sharing some thoughts and observations.

QUOTE:

"i think people are just lazy. to be honest, i enjoy the hunt, its much more satisfying to know that you tracked down and got something thats not easy to get. is it me? i thought that was one of the major points to this all, maybe its just for those of of that like to mod.

i guess that most of the people on here arent actually "collectors", i view this the same as collecting gens, but even more exciting because of the difficultly in achieving a rep thats near perfect.

some cats are just impatient, and those are the guys who ask "who has the best sub" :bleh::bleh:

i love sitting at home modding my watches. drilling the cases, filing the cg's, polishing em, taking them apart, putting them back together, the whole thing is a thrill.

if people dont want to do the legwork, well, they're not gonna get what they're looking for, cause a rep is a rep is a rep, and unless you modify it with gen parts and with patience and love, well then, its just a factory rep."

Again, this is not meant to offend or [censored] anyone off, and i really dont think it should. this is a passion for alot of us, and speaking from experience, the first few months was not easy to gain the knowledge i was looking for. I just wanted a great sub, lol.

enjoy, take it for what it is.......this is alot of fun, and always should be :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

People participate in this hobby for different reasons. Some like to collect... Some like to build... Some just like to sample certain watches prior to buying the genuine counterpart. Some are looking for the cheap way out of buying a genuine, and I think that for those, disappointment is inevitable, as there will always be flaws (be it cosmetic, function, etc).

I myself like to build... For me, it's probably similar to people who like to build model ships, or railways, cars, etc. The only difference is, I get to wear my replication on my wrist, and enjoy it everywhere I go :) It's an extension of my effort and work invested... Something I take great pride in everytime I look at my wrist. I think I spend more time looking at my watch without really paying attention to the time.

It takes all types to make the world go 'round... Bottom line (at least for me)... Do what makes you happy, and set your expectations accordingly...

:)

I know where you are coming from, I got my first rep only 5 months ago, but almost immediately pulled it appart. It was an SMP. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but after aligning the bezel, well it just looked that bit better. Then came the OEM hands of course! I am not trying to achieve an identical copy (you can't with this case anyway) but it gave a certain sense of satisfaction to be able to pull it apart and reassemble it. Prior to joining this forum and reading up on the basics, I had never opened a watch case in my life.

What is it they say? If it aint broke don't fix it. Well sod that! :p

I like to work on my watches,hunting for pieces...

it makes a lot of fun, i learned a lot in meantime... most from fellow members

here...

Modding is a special thing for me,damm i love to put my fingers on a rep...

that makes a watch special for me...

When the result is good ( in my eyes) i love it...

This babys will never go out of my box..

There are different reasons to collect reps for the people here...

Mine is to build a nice and better watch,thats all....

It's a hobby and for me great one...

Like Randy said:

"It takes all types to make the world go 'round... Bottom line (at least for me)... Do what makes you happy, and set your expectations accordingly... "

RG Tribal

Edited by Tribal

hehe, actually, should stay away from the dremel in my opinion. i would suggest, like my peers, a nice set of swiss cut needle files for cg's and slight case mods, and a low rpm drill with cobalt bits for drilling lugs and such.

most of the tools that i use personally for mods probably cost me a little over $100 for everything, hand removers, case holder, drill and bits, files, tweezers. doesnt take much.

and to clarify, i wasnt trying to say that everyone should be into modding, just was expressing my joy for it.

I LOVE to mod. Hell if you look at some of the watches I have built (the as-perfect-as-possible PAM 188 7753 or the5218-202A) you will see that I sold them almost immediately after finishing them. ALWAYS sold at a HUGE loss in $$$ over what is cost to build said monsters.

It is just coola nd the gang to look at a finished product and know that it is buit RIGHT as well as built by YOU.

I *wish* I could mod watches, but they are so small and my fingers are sooo fat, and my eyes are that bad... I'm just plain scared :Jumpy:

Bought a dremel for my ultra razor sharp Inge and was able to soften the edges on the bottom... so that gave me some confidence.

Next purchase will be one of those desk magnifiers with the built in lights, a set of files, and maybe a nice sub to go to town on :blink:

Who's got the best sub for modding?? :lol:

I'm not anywhere the caliber of the very talented folks that we are very fortunate to have, but I get huge enjoyment from messing with these watches. I do easy stuff such as polishing cases & bracelets, taking the bezels and inserts apart, removing the case back and greasing the seals. I've gone as far as drilling lugs and bracelets.

The second best part of it all, is hunting down difficult to source OEM parts. The learning curve for the past two plus years has been huge and a fun filled trip. I've become somewhat of a parts addict along the way as well. I'm also a big fan of vintage & rare watches as it takes effort and study to find an excellent original example at a reasonable cost.....ah, the thrill of the hunt. :D

I've heard the phrase "reps are reps" many times on these forums. That may be the view of many but from my perspective, not so. The ones I have been fortunate to collect are terrific time pieces that have brought far more fun & education than many of the gens I own or have owned. Dropping the CC at an AD is just too darn easy. :p