When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aging suggestions

Charleston

"I am not a fan of the beat up Vietnam shot at looking vintages, but some subtle aging is a nice touch."

I agree.

I have a 1675 (555xxxx serial number) that was worn daily for over 20 years. It has never been polished and does not show any deep scratches at all. It just looks like your average watch that has been taken care of. The bezel insert is badly faded but the dial is fine and there is no case corrosion at all. I have also owned a few that had lived a hard life and they showed it.

What I am getting at is the majority of oldies I have seen were were not in bad condition at all...nothing like the 'artificial ripening' applied to some project watches.

But what kind of work and play do you do? I think people like to imagine that their beat-up vintage watch has seen very terrible adventures, which adds a certain attraction.

Nanuq, that looks good! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

What are your secrets? (besides driving over cases, torching watches, etc.) lol

Unfortunately that really IS 40+ years of hard use. And only 10 since the last complete Rolex Service Center rebuild.

OP - The best advise I can give is select a Gen watch that you wish to replicate in look and age: and work to that template. Enjoy yourself - once you start, its hard to stop!

Here you go Nanuq, here is some inspiration for your next 1680 project........perhaps the Gen owner did not know this was an automatic movement :whistling:

rd01001.jpg

OP - The best advise I can give is select a Gen watch that you wish to replicate in look and age: and work to that template. Enjoy yourself - once you start, its hard to stop!

Here you go Nanuq, here is some inspiration for your next 1680 project........perhaps the Gen owner did not know this was an automatic movement :whistling:

rd01001.jpg

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Personally I think the best way is just wear it. In the garden in the garage and don't baby it that way it will pick up real age quickly have a good look about on vintage rolex forum. Most of those are still in great condition even after 40 years there is no need to trash it just to make it age.

• 1 month later...