When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modify a movement to go in reverse?

pr0digy30

Had an idea for a fun project... what I will call a "Benjamin Button" watch. Much liked the clock featured in the film, I am wondering if it's possible to modify a movement ETA or DG so that the hands actual move counter-clockwise.

This would of course be a no-date type of project, as I imagine trying to add a date complication to it would require serious re-working of the date mechanism.

If any experts can chime in, it would be appreciated.

Had an idea for a fun project... what I will call a "Benjamin Button" watch. Much liked the clock featured in the film, I am wondering if it's possible to modify a movement ETA or DG so that the hands actual move counter-clockwise.

This would of course be a no-date type of project, as I imagine trying to add a date complication to it would require serious re-working of the date mechanism.

Just role the main spring in the opposite direction in the barrel.

What were you thinking how the date should work? Run backwards aswell? If so, you could probably just reprint the datewheel ...

Aren't there certain gears in there that will only work turning in one direction?

It's kind of a cool idea.. With a reversed dial it would still tell the time. And date according to the post above.

:D

Only the gear train can be reversed. So only the hands will move in the opposite direction. All complications e.g. day/ date will not function any more and have to be removed.

Reprinting the datewheel is an interesting option.... though for simplicity (and mind sake) a no-date movement would be better.

In some Googling I did find there was some French watchmaker that did this as novelty (cheap AFAIK) watch. I would think numerals on the dial would be a must, or else you might find yourself reading the time wrong. Good way to exercise the brain me thinks!

This is something i have thought about before but would the escape wheel and anchor need to be reveresed as they are designed to work in one direction??

Exactly! Not to mention the impulse faces of the pallet fork would be all out of whack, so they would need to be swapped.