When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Possible new project: Tudor 7923

drury

Hi there guys,

I haven't quite made my mind up on this, but I'm very tempted by this.

Also I don't think anyone as actually atempted it, so in any case it's a hard one.

Here's what i know so far:

It's the only manual wind submariner ever produced, sporting a Tudor caliber 1163 (opinions vary, some state the internal Tudor reference as 1188, based on an ETA 1156, most probably, a modified ETA 1080 with added Kiflector shock absorbtion). It should be possible to find one of those in old manual wind Tudors. Otherwise a 1080 could be used.

DSC_2185.jpg

P1010035.jpg

Possibly it is also a FEF 350, the base manual wind caliber of the TUDOR/ROLEX 350. That would obviously make sence, because the watch is a prototype and Fleurier never made automatic movement. The 7923 seems to have been produced (or designed) before the 7922, even though the serials are sequential. Most people don't believe the movement was made by Fleurier, but it's an option never the less:

FEF_350.jpg

The case design was shared with it's Rolex brother the 6536 (although some 7923's are reported to have a 8mm brevet crown.) Except for the caseback, the cases should therefore be identical.

The caseback is a special topic ... it's flat, to accomodate the manual wind movement. More like something found on a Rolex precision and has the serial engraved on the outside (!)

DSC_2180.jpg

Dial is shared with TUDOR 7922.

DSC_2179.jpg

Some are supposed to have pencil hands and very rarely red dial printing.

So guys, what do you think? Is this one possible? I think obtaining case an movement should be possible ... caseback, hands and dial are a different story!

Well, maybe one of you has some advice and an idea where to start!

Thanks in advance,

Cheers, Tim

Little list:

Phong's or Yuki's 6536 case (I have no idea which one is better and why, somebody would need to make a suggestion on that) with custom engraving

Dial would have to be a redial, maybe Phong could also take care of that (For the beginning may a decal? à la jmb maybe?)

6mm brevet crown (DSN or gen I suppose), maybe 8mm to make it special

Rolex Oyster precision caseback (Does anyone know if it would fit?) and custom engraving

Tudor movement from an old Tudor "precision" (maybe the caseback would work aswell) or alternatively, for the beginning, a simple ETA 1080

no idea on the hands though

completely forgot about NDT ...

They actually offer two dials, the one for 600$ is more accurate for the 7923 I believe

Also they offer a 7922 replacement case. Possibly they could do custom engravings and have 7923 engraved instead. That would def. save some money on that account.

Can anybody say something about their quality / reliability? Is that case somewhat accurate? Never dealt with them before!

Cheers, Tim

I found this pic of a 7923 sideview:

7923Tudor-side.jpg

and after comparing it with 6542 cases (gen on top, Puretine on the bottom) I think it could be a good and cheaper alternative (maybe a different caseback) and you can just sand down the rehaut and a 27.3mm dial will fit just fine:

6542-genrep1-2.jpg

NDT has the right bezel, they send me a wrong one by mistake for my 6542:

6542D-BR1-2.jpg

But I also saw this gen pic with a bezel that looks more like a GMT version (and very much like the PT stock bezel):

7923bezelGMT.jpg

Just my 2 cents. Cool project BTW :)

I found this pic of a 7923 sideview:

7923Tudor-side.jpg

and after comparing it with 6542 cases (gen on top, Puretine on the bottom) I think it could be a good and cheaper alternative (maybe a different caseback) and you can just sand down the rehaut and a 27.3mm dial will fit just fine:

6542-genrep1-2.jpg

NDT has the right bezel, they send me a wrong one by mistake for my 6542:

6542D-BR1-2.jpg

But I also saw this gen pic with a bezel that looks more like a GMT version (and very much like the PT stock bezel):

7923bezelGMT.jpg

Just my 2 cents. Cool project BTW :)

Thanks for the input Donerix!

That puretime case might really be an option. I think the case was actually shared with the 6536, some examples I believe were even delivered with a rolex engraved caseback.

Of course, with these old watches you never know if it's actually gen or a "franken" example, possibly even put together by RSC.

But anyway, the PT case looks just fine, if you give it a little "fake" wear, nobody could tell the difference anyhow.

Also the bezel in the last picture is quite interesting. I would say it's a 6536 bezel that's just changed it's appearance over the years. In that case the PT stock bezel would look "pre-aged", which is great.

Does anybody know if the older Tudor/Rolex Oyster Precision models had a caseback that would actually fit a 6536/6542 case?

Cheers, Tim

That would be pretty cool to see :) I guess just taking the rotor off a regular movement just wouldn't be the same ;)

Not quite ;)

But 50's manual wind Tudor movements don't seem to be that hard to source anyway!

Should be the same (or a similar) movement.

The bigger problem will be hands and caseback :(

Cheers, Tim

Not quite ;)

But 50's manual wind Tudor movements don't seem to be that hard to source anyway!

Should be the same (or a similar) movement.

The bigger problem will be hands and caseback :(

Cheers, Tim

I guess this is where the issue of form over function becomes blurred... If you go for the 50's movement, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that it is what it is, even though no one else would be able to see said movement, where if you just pull the rotor from a regular auto, you wind up with a manual wind movement, and less issues with regards hands and caseback, but the knowledge that it's not 'quite right under the hood'... Best of luck with the project though, I'll be following its progress with interest :good::drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bezel nearly identical to this one, if you can't find another source.

7923Tudor-side.jpg

In this picture the wear around the base of the bezel is from contact with the crown. It's a close fit anyway, and as the crown gasket wears, it screws further onto its tube, and eventually the clearance between crown and bezel is gone. Turning the (soft) bezel eats it away against the (hard) crown.

7923bezelGMT.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ooof. Details man details.

Yuki claims to be looking for early dials, but not sure how true this is. I just cannot justify paying $1,000 bucks for an NDT dial.

E

gen tudor 1156/1163, running, but I'll have it serviced when the watch shall be assembled. (it's missing the hour wheel, but that should be obtainable)

I was thinking of using that 6542 case for the project (or are there better ideas?) I'm just wondering about the position of the lugholes, they seem a little off. anybody have any experience with puretimes sending to europe?

the only acceptable dial I've seen is the NDT for 600$ and that's just too much :(

no idea on the dial yet ...

cheers, tim