When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would this be a good first rep for a noob?

Chrononaut

http://www.kingshowbox.com/goods.php?id=3620

Kind of fell in love with this. I was wondering if anyone here has one and how it compares to a gen.

I really like the idea of a rep vintage, I imagine most people would assume a 2011 Rolex rep on my wrist was a fake due to me being a student, whereas a vintage watch could be a family hand-me-down.

However, despite the fact that it's supposed to be an old watch, it looks pretty factory-fresh. Are there any threads/guides to weathering and ageing a rep vintage watch?

Thanks guys :D

Stay away from the DRSD. The gens go for $15K and up. You'd do better sticking with a 5513 which runs in the $4-5K for a gen. Much more plausible.

Keep reading about how to age these vintage reps, people are doing it all the time around here. Just keep searching and reading and welcome aboard.

Stay away from the DRSD. The gens go for $15K and up. You'd do better sticking with a 5513 which runs in the $4-5K for a gen. Much more plausible.

Keep reading about how to age these vintage reps, people are doing it all the time around here. Just keep searching and reading and welcome aboard.

...But nobody in my university would know that :whistling:

+1

I could pull of a $15k rep. But I never have simply due to the size of my collection. I would say away from watches that would generate too many questions about it. I mostly wear watches I enjoy for myself rep or gen.

Edited by HartDoc

...But nobody in my university would know that :whistling:

Once you've get a 70s-era rep and beat it up a bit, it will look old. Even if they don't know the model is from that era, the artificial aging will make it very inconspicuous, and it will not attract attention :) The key to this is to be subtle. It doesn't have to be banged about and scratched to [censored] like it's been dragged behind a car, but adding some scuffs, then polishing with a green Scotchbrite pad and a 4-sided nail-file will create the appearance of gradual aging, and knocks and scrapes from throughout a 30+ year lifespan, rather than all being inflicted in one hit :victory: Failing that, blend it in even more to 'student fashion' by wearing it on a fat-strap, so people see the wrist-strap without focussing too heavily on the watch... Worked for this guy :whistling:

bloomrolex.jpg

When I first got my 1655, I couldn't stand wearing it. I'd put it on, and take it off again almost instantly. Just read back a few years, and you'll see me slagging the 1655 down at any opportunity. As soon as I put it on a fat-strap, I really enjoy wearing it :pardon:

DSCN3598.jpg

Once you've get a 70s-era rep and beat it up a bit, it will look old. Even if they don't know the model is from that era, the artificial aging will make it very inconspicuous, and it will not attract attention :) The key to this is to be subtle. It doesn't have to be banged about and scratched to [censored] like it's been dragged behind a car, but adding some scuffs, then polishing with a green Scotchbrite pad and a 4-sided nail-file will create the appearance of gradual aging, and knocks and scrapes from throughout a 30+ year lifespan, rather than all being inflicted in one hit :victory: Failing that, blend it in even more to 'student fashion' by wearing it on a fat-strap, so people see the wrist-strap without focussing too heavily on the watch... Worked for this guy :whistling:

:pardon:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/DSCN3598.jpg' alt='DSCN3598.jpg'>

Thanks for the advice :thumbsupsmileyanim: I have to admit, I love my steel bracelets, though. I used to do a lot of scale modelling and I was pretty good at faking naturalistic weathering. I might even be able to make it look like there's real dirt and dust stuck in the strap using pigment powders...

Definately going to look into this. I looked up some pics of the real double-red SD, it seems to be a very accurate replica for the money. Until next month, I'm going to try and learn as much as I can about weathering/ageing reps and then make my final decision.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsupsmileyanim: I have to admit, I love my steel bracelets, though. I used to do a lot of scale modelling and I was pretty good at faking naturalistic weathering. I might even be able to make it look like there's real dirt and dust stuck in the strap using pigment powders...

Definately going to look into this. I looked up some pics of the real double-red SD, it seems to be a very accurate replica for the money. Until next month, I'm going to try and learn as much as I can about weathering/ageing reps and then make my final decision.

Any time :drinks: I have to admit, I'm the same, and prefer steel bracelets over the leather, as it means I don't have to worry about the watch getting wet :victory: I just thought I'd suggest fat-straps as a way of blending a watch more into 'student fashion' so it'd be a bit inconspicuous and draw less attention :ph34r: Definitely sounds like you've got the skills to do the appropriate aging, so I'll be keen to see what you come up with :) I would advise against faking the dirt on the strap though, real dirt would suffice :lol: It took me a while to warm up to the DRSD, but I now have plans to buy one myself, so definitely looking forward to seeing what you can do with one of those :good:

I wore this through med school....

%7Boption%7Dhttp://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4049/95695782.jpg%7Boption%7D

I would only recommend purchasing it if you send it to pbdad to relume it/vintagize it properly....for an extra $150 it will look AMAZING. If nothing else, it will be artwork on your wrist.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

How exactly do I get in touch with pbdad? Being the hard-headed fool that I am, I like to try stuff like this myself, but might be out of my depth somewhat. At the very least, I think I'd like someone to put some decent lume on a rep for me.