When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PT DRSD mods required

perry563

I am about to buy a PT 1665 DRSD with the dial #4 option (was told by Angus that this dial is most popular). My plan is to send the watch to Pbdad for modding. I dont want the watch aged. Instead I want to have all the mods required to make the watch look as close to the gen as possible without doing any unesessary work. As an example I am told that the tube is already good on this watch and all I need is a gen like crown. So this being the case what other mods should I have done?

I'm modding a PT 1665 case at the moment and here are some of my notes:

- the supplied tube does fit a genuine 703 crown, but poorly, It doesn't fit anywhere close as it would a genuine tube.

- In order to take out the tube,you'd have to heat up the case first to get rid of the superglue they use and use a rat tail file with a ton of force to mangle it out.

- As for the rehaut, there are two problems. First of all , it is too tall. You'd need to reduce it with some kind of disc sander to about 80% roughly. Secondly, it is too wide and have to reduce the outer diameter. This is only a problem if you want to fit genuine dome or any other crystals for that matter.

- Also mine came without a bezel tension spring >.<.... moreover,you would need to manufacture a crystal retaining ring if you want to get rid of the plastic one.

- Of course, you'd have to mod the crown guards, filing both the inner, outer and profile portions.

- sometimes the lugs look too fat, have to thin that one out. Also, you'd need to rebrush the lugs because the finish is awful.

Good luck... =P

Edited by praetor

of course not...

you'd have to get a new dial and hands as well. The insert looks ok though, but you'd need to get rid of the pearl. The HEV valve is fake and too pointy, so you need to vintagize that as well XD...

the lug holes are in the correct position (IMO)compared only to a small fraction of 1665 cases . The majoritiy are more like the MBW cases.

side-2.jpg

source: Submariner Story

The pearl looks OK to me. I have an Ofrie pearl that I put on a PMW insert. The PT pearl looks similar but in aged form. Is there something I am missing?

I heard that the PT dials especially # 2, 3 and 4 are pretty good aside from the very yellow markers. I am hoping that Pb has a way to lighten them up a bit so they look creamy rather than bright sun yellow.

Pb has already mentioned to me about installing a new crystal so I assume he is aware of what it takes to make it fit. (in fact he does since he said he has already modded quite a few PT 1665 watches already)

So here is my list so far:

New crown and tube

New crystal assume Clarke

Ensure springbar ends POP from lug holes

CG shaved down

Dial markers lightened if possible or dial changed out

Movement serviced

Rebrush the lugs to smooth out finish.

Thats it?

I am about to buy a PT 1665 DRSD with the dial #4 option (was told by Angus that this dial is most popular). My plan is to send the watch to Pbdad for modding. I dont want the watch aged. Instead I want to have all the mods required to make the watch look as close to the gen as possible without doing any unesessary work. As an example I am told that the tube is already good on this watch and all I need is a gen like crown. So this being the case what other mods should I have done?

i might sell my project case that i didnt end up using after deciding the 1665 is not for me. it looks stunning but the way it sits on the wrist is not for me.

6099929638_8d4071b825_z.jpg

lugs are already drilled and accept 2mm bars (repolished)

crown tube removed and hole countersunk, tapped to fit a gen 703 tube and crown properly recessed

case has gen retaining ring construction so it fits a gen T39 crystal

caseback paint removed (repolished)

bezel fits a gen insert

CGs look great

HEValve was worked to appear as a separate piece from the case and more gen like as a result, it is NON functional however (= no water leaks).

case fits a slow beat ETA 2846

6099929430_fbe5bf947e_z.jpg

i know im never going to use this (well never say never, but chances are good) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I certainly enjoy my PT GWSD and it is really a cool rep. I like the 2846-2 movement, the datewheel, the decent case and bracelet. Like praetor, I replaced the crown and tube and I also had a tough time getting the original tube out of the case- busted the rat tail file!

P1000261-1.jpg

I also boogered up the nylon gasket and ended up getting jmb to mill a proper crystal retaining ring for me. I'd picked up an MBW GWSD dial from a friend and installed it. I trimmed the cg's and put it all back together with a T-39 from G&S. It's been a great watch, and it's also WR. But I do think I'm going to send it to PBdad for a relume.

I was really happy with the recent relume of my 16660 SD dial and hands and I've gotten to the point that I think some of the fun of a rep is having a nice lume job. I realize this ain't a lume shot!

photo21.jpg

But it glows well at night.

My gen vintage subs may not glow, but my vintage reps can! Oh, here's the PT 1665, Maybe it does have fat lugs, but it's been a great rep.

P1010106.jpg

The pearl looks OK to me. I have an Ofrie pearl that I put on a PMW insert. The PT pearl looks similar but in aged form. Is there something I am missing?

I heard that the PT dials especially # 2, 3 and 4 are pretty good aside from the very yellow markers. I am hoping that Pb has a way to lighten them up a bit so they look creamy rather than bright sun yellow.

Pb has already mentioned to me about installing a new crystal so I assume he is aware of what it takes to make it fit. (in fact he does since he said he has already modded quite a few PT 1665 watches already)

So here is my list so far:

New crown and tube

New crystal assume Clarke

Ensure springbar ends POP from lug holes

CG shaved down

Dial markers lightened if possible or dial changed out

Movement serviced

Rebrush the lugs to smooth out finish.

Thats it?

If you're having that much done, you clearly want the watch to 'look real', so I would strongly suggest reconsidering your decision about not wanting to age the watch. I'm not suggesting you need to beat the [censored] out of it, but none of those other mods are worth doing if it is still going to look like a 'brand new watch' which should be +30 years old :whistling: Best of luck with the project though, really looking forward to seeing the results :good::drinks:

• 3 weeks later...

i might sell my project case that i didnt end up using after deciding the 1665 is not for me. it looks stunning but the way it sits on the wrist is not for me.

6099929638_8d4071b825_z.jpg

lugs are already drilled and accept 2mm bars (repolished)

crown tube removed and hole countersunk, tapped to fit a gen 703 tube and crown properly recessed

case has gen retaining ring construction so it fits a gen T39 crystal

caseback paint removed (repolished)

bezel fits a gen insert

CGs look great

HEValve was worked to appear as a separate piece from the case and more gen like as a result, it is NON functional however (= no water leaks).

case fits a slow beat ETA 2846

6099929430_fbe5bf947e_z.jpg

i know im never going to use this (well never say never, but chances are good) thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Still have this for sale? I may just build a proper 1665 with the dial and hands/movement I have and either sell the 5513/4 case or use it for something else.

E