When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytona addiction! What to get next?

dutchguy2

OK, these vintage Daytona's are dangerous LOL.

I had a Paul Newman a couple of weeks ago but decided to sell it because I thought I could not pull off a +25K watch!

Wrong!!! I can, or better, who cares!? So last week I got my second DW Daytona and I am already thinking of an other one :thumbsupsmileyanim:

What you guy's think would be a good addition to the on I already have? I was thinking of a white dialed one. But I want to know which one did pull you over to the dark side of the Daytona's??

Here is a pic of my current one.

foto443.jpg

Has anyone written a guide to replica PNs for Daytona n00bs like me? I have no idea where to start.

Pug: In the sub-$1000 range, your only real choice is between the 7750-powered DWs and the Sea-Gull Daytonas from the cartel. Valjoux 23s have become too expensive to warrant a "pre-Valjoux 72" compromise build, while Mystery Movements have gone extinct, by most accounts.

A while back, I summarized the cartel's latest offerings:

Positives:

-More reliable Sea-Gull movement. (Although both of my 7750s are running well.)

-Correct spacing of the subdials at 3 and 9. The sub@6, too, if you follow ChiMan's mods.

-Comes with a nice crystal. (DW's default crystal is the wrong size, brittle, and optically deficient.)

-Great endlinks--probably the best rep 571s I've seen.

The downsides:

-Subdial at 6 is non-functional and too low.

-Quality of cartel dials is generally poorer than DW's. Non-exotic dials look good, until you realize that its hour has 72 minutes!

-Bezels are inferior to DW's: Less accurate dimensions overall; less accurate and lower-quality engravings and insert text.

-If you're getting a 6239, the indents are too wide for pump pushers. (Cartel uses the same case for pump and screw-down pushers.)

Finally, I think the DW cases are more accurate, overall, than the cartel's. The DW just looks more convincing at a glance to me.

• 3 weeks later...

This is really biting me! I want a 6263 or 6265... DW is currently out of 6263/5 so thinking of this cartel which I think is the best of the cartel lot..thoughts?

I agree that this is your best option. An exotic avoids all the freakiness of the cartel's standard dials. It's a newer version with a fixed sub@6. Finally, it's a 2-color ROC dial, which means you get to avoid the mind-numbing debates about whether the 3CROCs were legit.