When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

good model for a rolex noob?

whoever

Hi there,

quick question before the 24h shut down....:

i'm absolutely not familiar with Rolex , but i always lurked around the Daytona....so i start to think about pulling the trigger......could you help me to choose one accurate model?

I had a look on Mary's site, this one catched my attention.....:

any thoughts?

Thank you very much,

have a nice day!

post-29734-0-40921800-1315894788.jpg

P: I like the 1950s style of the 6234s and early 6238s, too. The major inaccuracies of these reps are the symmetrical pushers, the wrong dimensions for the crystal and bezel, and the wrong hands (hour/minute should be Dauphines, subdial hands should be thinner).

I really love the old tachy/telemeter dials, though!

P: I like the 1950s style of the 6234s and early 6238s, too. The major inaccuracies of these reps are the symmetrical pushers, the wrong dimensions for the crystal and bezel, and the wrong hands (hour/minute should be Dauphines, subdial hands should be thinner).

I really love the old tachy/telemeter dials, though!

M, are there any pics of a better version of this one?

good model to start with is a basic datejust or a steel sub, depends if you can pull-off wearing a daytona without raising eyebrows from your acquaintances. but the daytona is indeed a good watch.

in the end of the day it's still your choice. goodluck!

thanks!

well i live in a country where a famous publicist made it impossible to wear a Rolex without being stigmatized.....and i'm being reluctant to buy a Daytona because of this...he said that if you don't wear a Rolex when you're in your 50s you missed the whole point of your life.......and now everybody hates Rolex and him!

M, are there any pics of a better version of this one?

There isn't a better version of the 6234 unless you spend a lot more money and get a jewelryandwatch V72 version and I'm not even sure if Phong makes a decent dial for that model. I have Phong's V72 6238 dial and it leaves a lot to be desired. Check out Phong's site, www.jewelryandwatch.com.

After that you can go to DW and maybe look at a 6239 with the 7750/60 movement. This is about the same price as Mary's 6234, maybe a few dollars more, but will have the correct assymetrical pushers, and be a little more correct. I couldn't find much on his website, http://www.dw-watches.tk/ , but maybe you can do better.

Be aware of the fact that whenever you buy a watch with the asian 7750 movement in it, you may have to service the movement at some point. Here is the CONUS, this can easily run $200 or more. But at that point you should have a dependable watch.

let's face it, unless you hang around with a bunch of watch fanatics, NOBODY! will be able to spot a rep. (a decent one that is)

since this is a vintage model, the people that know what it's worth will doubt it's authenticity.

with the rest of the population it will probably raise less eyebrows than a simple SS submariner

thanks guys, this is more info than i need! Phong is way out of reach for me, so i'll stick to the basic version i guess.....

and drury, you're most certainly right, but i guess in the process of learning you want to do everything more than right!

anyway, have a nice evening or morning!

cheers