When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Upgrade & Waterproofing Pam 177

fab1973

Hello everybody,

i'm new on this site and very happy to found so much informations about reps! Thanks to RWG i found a dealer (Andrew "trusty time") i ordered a PAM 177, i'm based in Europe (France) i receive the watch, the Pam looks really great!

My question (maybe a stupid one!) is there some upgrade or service to do on the 6497 to be sure that it will work correctly???, and i would like also to waterproof the pam, is there anyone how can do this?

Thank you very much for your answear !

Fabrice

Hi Fabrice and welcome on the forum.

Your watch is Ok for wearing now but of course you can had it serviced and water-tested.

The most difficult will be to find a rep-friendly watchsmith in France...

For the moment, I would advise you to silicon grease the caseback gasket and to enjoy it!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.322287,-1.835299

thanks for your answear! i saw your from toulouse, tu parles Français je suppose?( je continue en Anglais car je ne sais pas si c'est accepté de s'exprimer dans une autre langue sur le forum.)

i'm new in this watch world so for me "silicon grease the caseback gasket" it's like chinese i don't understand :sorry: i read topics on the site of someone who is or was in the same situation in paris and for him it was hot to found some rep friendly place to make mod, i dont care sending my wacth outside france, i just want to found someone that i can trust and that will be able to do those mods (service + waterproofing).

Is there anybody who can inform me?

big thanks

Fabrice

Is there anybody who can inform me?

Silicone grease is a waterproof grease used by plumbers and watch people .. it is clear in color and can be purchased at a well-stocked home repair center for a lot less money then if you order it by the ounce at a watch retail store.

Silicon is a mineral. I don't think you want mineral powder in your watch :red_indian:

Sorry JKay, english is not my native language, as you have obviously understood :shutup:

Absurd! Your English is infinitely better than my French, as all I know is "Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir"

And please don't blame yourself, since I have seen many little tubs of China silicone grease that say "silicon" on the label :rudolph:

Hey Fab! Bienvenue with us!

Congrats for your new 177, I've just placed an order yesterday for a 005M & 177M from the H factory also.

As seen on the boards & experienced myself with my 111M, the H factory seems to come with funky crapy movements so a service can only make them more reliable.

Inside the EU you have "Domenico" who can do service & waterproofing (find him inside the Rolex section).

Otherwise a nice & little mod you can add is to polish the canon pinion.

Enjoy your new watch & again welcome here!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them!

Best regards,

PS

Hey guys,

I'm curious.. I just got my first luminor marina model (177) and was wondering about people waterproofing their pams and swimming with them. I have NO INTENTION whatsoever of swinmming.. but it kind of occured to me as one of those things I've never seen on the forum even after my 4 years here... Anyone dared to take their pam diving or swiming and have the pictures to prove it??

I know PAMs werre originally designed for water.. but without a screwdown crown, I'm not taking any watch near any water. Actually, now that I think about it.. i just don't take any watches besides my G-shock in the water. My DSSD is sealed and epoxied.. still never gotten it wet.. haha

I should think that the lever arm, clamped down on the crown will compress a gasket very well .. no ?

Me too... which is why the question arose.. out of all the cool underwater pics I've seen of watches.. I don't recall any pams! i did a search for "pam underwater" "panerai underwater" and several other combinations to no avail.

T

Would you take a glass of Panerai?

I had mine done by Andy and I swim 4 times per week switching with this one and my 5512 done by him also.

He also told me that the watch successfully passed the 3ATM test without the crown guard!

Thanks bro.

Looks great. That's incredible that it passed 3atm with no crown gaurd! :) Really nice

Anyone happen to recall if there's been a 177L(M) rep vs. GEN comparison on there somewhere? I remember a thread comparing the 177 to another titanium panerai, but have yet to see a 177 rep to gen comparison. If anyone knows of one on here or any other forum, i'd love to hear about it!! :)

Yes I was really impressed by that also!

I dunno for the REP/GEN comparison but would love to see it also. You are a lucky owner off a 177M, I've placed an order for it but Josh told me the factory fail'd to give him a nice example without flaws on it. The next run should be in more then 1 month :( I've swapped it with a 292K.

Best regards,

PS

hey guys, i'm new with the forum too..

just place my order pam 288 and 111 with joshua..

i mention about the pam 111 movement does not work correctly..

can anyone explain in detail what to be corrected??

thx

Hi Dhan.. what do you mean it doesn't work correctly?

You've ordered a watch knowing that the movement doesn't work?

fab1973 mention if 6497 can be upgraded or service to be work correctly..

does it mean watch out of the box still have to be corrected in movement??

thx

and i do mention POWERSHOT mention about H factory crapy movement..

what's the different between noob and H factory movement??

since they have same movement...

cheers

fab1973 mention if 6497 can be upgraded or service to be work correctly..

does it mean watch out of the box still have to be corrected in movement??

thx

ANY should be serviced.. But the movement should be working when the watch arrives to you.

The difference between the H factory and noobfactory movement is that the h-factory is using a Low beat 18,000 bph movement, while the noobfactory is using a 21,000 bph movement. despite some controversy, they are equally as good with a good servicing... On the other hand AESTHETICALLY the new noobfactory movement is a little better.. but that should be the least of your worries as neither movement is very close to the original

ANY should be serviced.. But the movement should be working when the watch arrives to you.

The difference between the H factory and noobfactory movement is that the h-factory is using a Low beat 18,000 bph movement, while the noobfactory is using a 21,000 bph movement. despite some controversy, they are equally as good with a good servicing... On the other hand AESTHETICALLY the new noobfactory movement is a little better.. but that should be the least of your worries as neither movement is very close to the original

awesome,,,

can't wait my pam 111 and pam 288 from joshua arrive

Great to hear you've got 2 on the way. Where are you from Dhan?

i'm originally indonesia..

but currently live in sydney...

can't wait to get my hand on my very first replica..