When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Serviced My First Movement - Omega 565

dbutlerman

I just finished servicing my first watch movement (well almost - I still need to put in the balance jewels - but I am having some issues with the stupid incabloc springs!). I have to say it is very rewarding - there was stress over lost screws and misc. other bits, my eyeballs will probably never be the same (too many hours using a loupe), but all in all it was very rewarding.

So here's how I did it:

First Take Pictures of every step in the process, this is key in putting it back together. I felt I took enough, but I should have probably taken more, mainly in the keyless works, there are lots of mechanics in that little section.

Start off with a very dirty, but running movement:

565service%201.jpg

565service%202.jpg

Then flip to the Top Plate side of the movement (Opposite the dial side) and take of the rotor and winding mechanism

565service%204.jpg

After the winding bits are off, flip back to the Bottom Plate (Dial Side of the Movement):

565service%205.jpg

Once there start by removing the the Hour Wheel, Seconds Pinion and any other misc. gears:

565service%206.jpg

Next it's time for the keyless works, starting taking them apart piece by piece:

565service%207.jpg

565service%208.jpg

Once it's all apart and the stem is out, flip the movement back over to the Top Plate and remove the wheel bridge covering the escape wheel, third wheel and fourth wheels:

565service%209.jpg

Next, remove the third of fourth wheels from the movement as well as the crown wheel (small silver) and ratchet wheels(large silver and copper gears):

565service%2010.jpg

Followed by removing the friction spring and the indirectly driven seconds gear and shaft

565service%2011.jpg

Then, remove the bridge covering the center wheel and main spring barrel.

565service%2012.jpg

Here is the main spring barrel opened up - note the directing of the winding (I forgot to notice - glad I had the pictures)

565service%2014.jpg

Nearly done, next, remove the center wheel, mainspring barrel, and the balance wheel assembly/bridge, leaving just the pallet bridge, escape wheel and pallet fork:

565service%2013.jpg

Once those are removed it's time for cleaning. I used an Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with L&R Extra Fine Watch Cleaner, followed by 2 rinses in Zenith Step 2 & 3 Rinse, and finished up by another bath in the Ultrasonic cleaner filled with Zenith Rinse.

And to put it all back together, just follow the steps above in reverse:

565service%2015.jpg

565service%2016.jpg

I am having some issues getting the Incabloc springs and Balance Jewels back into the blocks, but as soon as I get that finished I will be completely done. The watch does run at this point, but I released all the tension on the main spring to keep it from running - don't want to damage the balance staff.

The difference in color is hard to believe. The photos don't do it any justice. It was dull and grimy before and now is soooo bright and shiny! It's a big difference, and I am sure that everything will be running much better as well with the new mainspring and clean movement.

Just looking thru this thread again, and the only comment I have is you may want to get a different movement holder for the next one. I tried servicing a watch with the style you are using and I found it to be a bit of a pain in the ass. The Bergeon 4040 is a nice, solid standard and seems to work quite nicely for me.

a5688596.jpg