When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Good place to buy cologne?

Physher007

I've purchased cologne online before but I am certain I got rep crap before

Anyone know a reliable place to get a decent price? I wear Creed: Green Irish Tweed

Most on line stores dont carry Creed fragances. I purchased mine from Amazon.good experence. If not Amazon try the Creed boutique.com.

I have also purchased several colognes from Ebay..but be careful to buy from a good seller with a lot of positive feedback and solid seven day return policy.

If you want to read reviews about colognes try Basenotes.com.

There's also a perfumecourt.com...they sell samples(decants) In different sizes. It's nice to try something out first before you spend $50.00-150..If not more.

Hope this helps. :) Mike

Now this brings up an interesting point i have wondered about for a while.

Not so long ago perfumes (ladies) used to be insanely expensive.

Products like Red Door, White Diamond and Poison were hundreds of dollars for 5 to 20ml bottles.

Now I buy 75ml bottles of those fragrances for 25 bucks.

Is this because they no longer use ambergris in the manufacturing or are there other factors?

The reason why I bring this up is that these days most of these designer fragrances can be bought cheaply straight from Chemist's or speciality shops here in Aus.

Ken

Products like Red Door, White Diamond and Poison were hundreds of dollars for 5 to 20ml bottles.

Is this because they no longer use ambergris in the manufacturing or are there other factors?

The reason why I bring this up is that these days most of these designer fragrances can be bought cheaply straight from Chemist's or speciality shops here in Aus.

Ken

Agreed, definitely something going on with fragrances. I have bought a few fragrances and found that they smell like the originals, but they are nowhere near as long lasting as the same fragrances I bought many moons before. The others wood linger for several days on my clothing. Now I'd be lucky to get several hours.

I think it's down to quantity over quality, and increasing profit margins. I'm quite certain that there are some missing components.

Just my $0.02, could be entirely wrong on this :)

I definitely think they are

Ken

From what I know Ken...If a fragrence is still selling well the price usually remains consistent

Take Dolce&Gabbana pour home(one of my favorites) for example...been around since 94..still remains a top seller/price remains the same.

Christain Dior's Fahrenheit...1988..... still a top seller/price remains the same...etc etc.

Many of the Creed line are 30-50 years old and still run well over $100.00...still very popular..still very expensive

Some colognes dont age well or people lose Interest In them...the prices typically drop on those.

When It comes to longivity..there are several things to keep in In mind.

Most summer scents are citrus based(light) and dont last very long..who likes to spen $50.00 or more and have a scent disappear on there skin within a few hours.

Spring/fall/winter scents are heaver and last much longer on average.

Remember that there are usually two versions of a cologne..edt..parfum...the parfum(concentrated) is more expensive but last much longer.

Some good Infomation here..http://www.fragrance...f/net/faqs.html and here..http://www.basenotes.net/content/

when it comes to creed, there is definitely something off with the GIT I have gotten off the bay - so either it is an old stockpile being liquidated or its counterfeit. Atleast, that's my guess - I don't know if anyone has purchased a creed product and have it show up with the insert written in Arabic, but it has occured all three times I have purchased from Ebay'rs with good feedback. Creed doesn't make eau de toilette, and I could swear the parfum I purchased from a boutique in Minneapolis lasted MUCH longer

Then again, it could all be in my head....

when it comes to creed, there is definitely something off with the GIT I have gotten off the bay - so either it is an old stockpile being liquidated or its counterfeit. Atleast, that's my guess - I don't know if anyone has purchased a creed product and have it show up with the insert written in Arabic, but it has occured all three times I have purchased from Ebay'rs with good feedback. Creed doesn't make eau de toilette, and I could swear the parfum I purchased from a boutique in Minneapolis lasted MUCH longer

Then again, it could all be in my head....

Then again It may not be In your head.

About five months ago I purchased Le male by Jean paul gaultier form Ebay..the seller had very good feedback

When i got the cologne I gave my arm a few sprays...about a hour later I could barely detect the scent.

I have been using Le Male for several years, I know that it is one of the longest lasting fragences In the biz...I usually get ten plus hours easily on my skin.

I sent the seller a message and told him about my experence..I politely asked for a refund.

He refunded my money and allowed me to keep the cologne...all he asked for was that I give him good feedback.

This is why I only purchase from sellers that have a seven day return policy.

This is one of the reasons why you must be so carfull on the bay. the average person dosent know much about cologne..so they give good feedback because they think they got a good deal.

I think from now on I will stick with the well known perfume/cologne sites or Amazon...I would rather pay a little more and know for sure what im getting

Mike

My experience has been the same - I have been using GIT since 2001, in that time I have become quite familiar with it and this 'batch' definitely is a bit off. There some sort of acidic quality to it - but it definitely doesn't linger as long. The cost difference is dramatic, the big bottles sell on the bay for around $80 where as they are north of $250 in the stores, it does smell nearly identical. I imagine most buyers are very happy with their purchases, either they can't tell the difference or are so pleased with the savings that they don't care

Makes me wonder if you are really saving any money at all if you are reapplying throughout the day; regardless, I'm definitely going back to trusted sellers

My experience has been the same - I have been using GIT since 2001, in that time I have become quite familiar with it and this 'batch' definitely is a bit off. There some sort of acidic quality to it - but it definitely doesn't linger as long. The cost difference is dramatic, the big bottles sell on the bay for around $80 where as they are north of $250 in the stores, it does smell nearly identical. I imagine most buyers are very happy with their purchases, either they can't tell the difference or are so pleased with the savings that they don't care

Makes me wonder if you are really saving any money at all if you are reapplying throughout the day; regardless, I'm definitely going back to trusted sellers

Exactly

Have you ever tried Davidoff's Coolwater. Most people In the fragance community say that It is a dead ringer for GIT. The 4.2 oz bottle can be found for around $40.00. I have a bottle and I must say that It is very close to GIT. It may not be as complex but It is very very close. Almost everyone that smells coolwater on me asks...are you wearing GIT?.. Might want to give It a try.

Well I pulled the trigger on the cool water, $40 worhth a shot - thinking about layering it with the rep GIT

Now that I think about it though, more than once I have had people ask me if I was wearing cool water whilst wearing GIT

Thats been my experence also. Davidoffs Is actually a rip off of GIT. Some might say it's a replica of GIT.... What better place to discuss that type of thing than here...lol

:D Davidoff did a very good job at reproducing GIT at less than 1/4 of the price.

Well if Davidoff is a rep, maybe the GIT I got off the bay is from the Noobfactory

The thing about Davidoff's CW is that it has been a top seller since 1988

So although It may be somewhat of a rip off of GIT...It's a dam good one.

I think some of the [censored] we get from flea bay Is watered down or something

At least CW last a good while and has better than average projection.

:) Mike

Well like KB said, he could get the parfumes from chemists (I don't know if that's aussie talk for something other than my understanding of a chemist :) ), but I imagine there is a building in Guangzhou where they are mixing up batches of GIT and sticking them in rep bottles and selling them for $80 a crack

I wore Versace Man Eau Fraiche for some time and liked it well, also did wear too long but nice and clean. It's probably time for me to consider a 'night' scent, but I will have to go try some on in person - any recommendations?

• 1 month later...

Well I broke down and purchased GIT from Fragrance.net

There is not a doubt in my mind that my old bottle is a replica. The old scent is a bit more sour with some vinegar notes, also, the bottle itself (especially the atomizer) isn't of the same quality.

Also, the Fragrance.net experience was a good one