When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Regulating Help ETA 2846

Tiyal

My movement has been fast by 30 seconds a day. Not satisfied i popped the case and started moving whatever I could find that would move :nono: , + - and the bar thats south of the +/- now I'm twenty minutes slow. :bangin: . Ive searched to no avail on the proper technique, the best write up on regulating / regulation is by Gioarmani (http://www.rwg.cc/to...ps-timing-beat/) but its old and the photos are missing. Being completely illiterate, photos would be great! So far i believe Ive changed the stroke :clap2:, which was not my intention so now what? :g: Does anyone have good photos are where and what my normal position should be? And where do I go from here??

Thanks

post-11567-0-87741100-1317351123.jpg

post-11567-0-84189700-1317351495.jpg

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Yes you played with the "fat arm" and thats a big NO NO! Do it yourself could take some patience and long time to get it back on track! Maybe you have a watchsmith you could give it to?

I got lucky and found a photo of the movement prior to my gorilla hands having a free for all in my ETA. Using my computer, I'm timing the reset movement. Looks like Ive picked up 8sec in twenty minutes :g:. Here's the old photo showing where things approximately are. Now what?

Thanks for the guidance so far

post-11567-0-69726600-1317369222.jpg

Put the "fat arm" back where it was and only adjust the other and see if you have any luck. The "fat arm" adjusts the beat error and only a fraction of a degree will make a huge difference so to get it right will almost certainly require a timer...

Put the "fat arm" back where it was and only adjust the other and see if you have any luck. The "fat arm" adjusts the beat error and only a fraction of a degree will make a huge difference so to get it right will almost certainly require a timer...

+1 You can't set the beat accurately any other way, without the watch being partially torn down. Also, for future reference, you just movement the regulator arm like a tenth of a millimeter at a time. A little goes a long way. An almost imperceptible movement can change the watch 5 secs/hr.

The timing is better but fast now. The regulator is what I don't touch (and hope that I have returned to its normal position) Or in this case is the spring stud what I monkeyed with and I adjust with the regulator arm? Thanks I'm going to the beach!!

balance.detail.2.jpg

You monkeyed with the spring stud. The regulator is the one that's mostly hidden and the one that you should be moving. Be happy if you get it close to accurate. I've never gotten a 2846 movement to be very accurate even with regulating it for days. A couple of minutes a week is pretty good from what I've seen.

Interesting that I just took a look at my 2846 movement that was fully serviced and the spring stud and the regulator look to be in exactly the same position as in this earlier picture you posted.

post-11567-0-69726600-1317369222.jpg

I have found that the spring stud is usually almost fully CCW (maybe 5 degrees from) from the end of travel when properly adjusted. But, a BCH either way from perfect will be terrible.